Quantcast

how to build a ramp for kids?

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I have a few young sons. The oldest is 9 years old. I picked up a cheap plastic type ramp around christmas but it didn't work well.

1. The first problem was that he didn't have the confidence to go over it at full speed initially. He hit it going pretty slow and his front chainring would catch on the lip of the ramp every single time.

2. The ramp would move and slide every time he hit it with his bike. Having the ramp sliding around didn't increase the confidence and lead to more of #1.

I have plenty of tools and I'm handy. I'd like to build something portable that will help him improve his courage and handling skills.

I've never been on one like this but I hear that alot of mountain bike trails feature alot of wood ramps/obstacles. Is there anything other than a ramp that I could build?

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal

2x6's across the lawn make a great balance game. Whoever can cross the lava field wins!

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Get the plastic tabletop from X factor. Its the same black plastic ramp, but its a tabletop, also is more sturdy, i would think that anything you make of wood, for a younger kid will be heavy, and possibly lead to splinters, which IMO, wont make a 9 or under kid very happy.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Just paint "free candy" on the ramp. Kids always go for that...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'd pose this question in the bmx forum. you can find plans fairly easily.

as far as portabillity, you can attach some wheels on the back sideso that when you left from the front, the wheels will catch and you can roll it. I've even seen people use wheels from truck dolleys to move full quarterpipes.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
I know exactly what you need, build a wooden roller. a traditional looking rap such as the plastic x-factor one you have, but round off the top with a short transition, basically a round topped table. your son can learn to just ride over it at first, learn to pump, and then eventually jump it as well once his confidence works up. These are the kind up things i remeber drooling over when i was about 10 years old.

Ill be accepting rep for being the first productive response:thumb:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Have your kid go around the nieghborhood and steal used pallets and lumber. If you have any construction sites nearby, point them out to your offspring. Let him/her know how useful you found them in finding supplies to build such ramps/forts when you were a child. Regale him/her with stories of your criminal prowess. Warn him/her about stepping on boards with nails sticking out of them as injuries are a give away to Mom that your up to no good. Make your personal tools available to said offspring so that he/she can lose them and you can buy new ones. Someday I am going to make a great dad!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
When we were kids, we just dragged out 2 55 gallon plastic barrels, a washing machine and a dryer from an old barn. We stacked them all in a row at the edge of a ditch and piled dirt on the front and back side. We did it safe by stacking the washer dryer side by side and the barrells behind them for a nice rounded lander.

Just don't do like we did and place them between the barn and an oak. The cinder blocks under the barn suck as a run out.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Damn helicopter parents.

At 9yo he should be stealing construction materials and building his own ramps.
Word

Skate boards are great ways for enterprising youngins to easily move full sheets of plywood. Think magic carpet style, skate board in center of sheet, get on and float down the street. Best done after dark of course.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
ramps are too mainstream at that age. build him about a 2 ft high, 180 degree (halfmoon)-10ft diameter, 80 degree banked berm. If you live in a development go down to the end of the lot where all the dirt is piled up and build there.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
This is a general description, have fun coming up with overall dimensions that work for you. I built a kicker for some kids recently that is probably 18" tallx 36" wide and it's kinda heavy, so keep that in mind when designing.

Supplies:
1.5" screws
3/4" ply for sides
1/2" ply for face of ramp
2x4's for ribs

Tools:
jig saw, drill, skil saw, (optional: chalk line, table saw)

1. Draw the transition of the ramp on the sheet of 3/4" plywood that you'd like. Use one of the 90* corners so you have to cut less (add a deck at this point if you want one- this is just a flat part on top of the transition. For something like this, I think 3.5" would be fine). Keep in mind that it is easy to make it too steep for a kicker. A good tip is to use a string, a nail and a pencil as a big compass to get a good transition. I think at your kids age 10"-16" tall ramp with an 8' radius on the transition would be good.
2. Cut out with jig saw. Be lazy and use the peice you already cut as a template for the second side.
3. Cut 2x4's to the width that you'd like the ramp to be. These are the ribs of the ramp, and should be no further than 8" apart (for a ramp that rides nice).
4. Screw the ribs at the level of the transition using three wood screws on each end. Add "ribs" in various places to make the back/base of the ramp sturdy. Make sure that the edges of the ribs will be in contact with the face of the ramp (stronger). The first rib near the ground may have to be flat, and that's fine.
5. Cut your peice of plywood to cover the whole face of the ramp. Remember that bending it for the transition will shorten it, so cut it long at first. Width will stay the same. **optional but reccomended: Second sheet for face- Use that face as a template to cut another peice just like it. Screw the first face down to the ramp at each rib (chalk line helps here to mark where the ribs are, but most of the time you can eyeball/feel for it). Screw on the second face if you made one.

6. profit

Do it your self is better: Heavy is good (no slidey), splinters build character, you and your kids will have fun making it, you can make new transition sides using 90 percent of the same material once your kids outgrow this ramp.

Good luck

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
One more tip for the ramp you have would be to put it up against a curb into some grass to build confidence. That way its like a fly out (no sprocket case)into a soft landing AND the plastic thing/ramp won't move.