Quantcast

how to be a douchebag . . . or not

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
** if you roll up on a new spot . . . . and there are riders digging/building and you say "thanks! what you guys are doing is awesome, is it ready to ride yet?" you are a first class douchebag.

** if you rolll up on a new spot . . . . and there are riders digging/buildling and you ask "what are yall working on, can i help" . . . .you are instantly in. i don't care if you case every jump and ride a crap bike. you get it.

my spot is not even that great, YET. but it is getting there. and riders are starting to come out.

i had one dude, that i thought was cool last week, show up today with friend in tow with kid and camera....dude proceeded to have a photoshoot of crap riding, no offer of help.... i'm digging the whole time and this douchebag told me "damn dude you're a workaholic." i'm not working, digging is fun for me. i dream about building and get depressed when i don't have time to dig. you're a douche and you don't even know it.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
imo there will always be riders that won't dig. (or worse, that talk big plans on what they want but never take up the shovel). But it's hard to keep them away, unless you own a spot and put a fence around it (my future plan btw).
Otherwise they'll ride when you're not around, meaning you come back at your spot just to see they wrecked lips, skidmarked all over the place, left garbage and so on. I really hate it when I'm working my ass of on something and others use it without showing appropriate respect.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
How about when you are taking a nap on the couch bc you are so wiped out from work/digging/riding and you wake up to some noise, look out the window and there is some kid riding the jumps in your backyard as if its behind the 7/11.

How about the guys that seem to have binoculars to know exactly when you are done digging and ready to ride.

How about anybody on a quad.

Did I mention four wheelers?

People who ride quads.

People who ride four wheelers.

Haplipe

Monkey
Feb 7, 2006
Arvada
If you guys are digging one day and don't want anybody riding at the moment, just go water all the first lips of the lines a lot so they wont start drying for while. That usually gives them a clue to come dig.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
LOL, Tortuga and quads.

cmc, it's generous of you to be open to sharing your hard work with strangers. I'm with the vote to protect it by just about any means necessary. Best of luck enlightening the thoughtless visitors to have righteous respect for the shovel.

scag

Monkey
Nov 19, 2004
Chain time agreed.

Its funny how those kids will be the ones calling YOU up to dig once they are chained up.

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz
We used to get poached by these kids who would ride their XC bikes up the hills to get to the spot to tell us what we should build and would say things like, "Oh man this looks fun, call us when its done." They were chained up the next week.

dogbreathusa

Chimp
Oct 15, 2008
uh oh....:banghead: are me and my nephew banned now for the video he posted on YouTube? (this is ron the guy on the redline 29er)

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I did this a bunch of times when I was little. I just didn't realize.
Spell it out for the noobs, don't just bottle it up and air out your issues online.
Explain firmly that if they don't help dig, they won't be welcome. It's a community effort.
If they still don't get it, then by all means water the lips, the douche, his bike, and his cameraman.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
uh oh....:banghead: are me and my nephew banned now for the video he posted on YouTube? (this is ron the guy on the redline 29er)
yeah i remember you. you're a digger--come back out any time!!

if it was a secret spot, then yes, youtube would be a problem.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
let me clarify. YouTubing of most spots is a problem.

if any aspect of the spot is not 100% authorized by ALL powers that be, publicity will endanger the spot. if you post video, don't identify the name or location of the spot.

check your PM's.

MTBKR415

Chimp
Jun 18, 2008
right behind you...
ok, so my friends are so called "first class douche bags" they insist on putting lots of video of a spot on youtube. I tell them no, it could lead to our spot being found. They say no. Many people already know about the spot, but it is to many as it is. What do i have to do to change their minds?!?!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
ok, so my friends are so called "first class douche bags" they insist on putting lots of video of a spot on youtube. I tell them no, it could lead to our spot being found. They say no. Many people already know about the spot, but it is to many as it is. What do i have to do to change their minds?!?!
is it "a" spot or "your" spot? big difference.