Quantcast

How Safe Do You Feel?

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Wow, I'm surprised at the responses.
My neighborhood doesn't "scare" me, but its not very safe. Lots of break ins all the time in the houses around me.
Lock everything, all the time. Way too many stories of people losing stuff (especially with the bikes in the house). If I'm gone for a long time, I'll even lock the bikes to something in the house.
'Round here (Phx, AZ), home invasions are pretty common.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Not safe in the least. We locked ourselves out of the house the other night and it took TN all of 3.5 seconds to get the bedroom window open and let us in. I'm alone in the house during hot times for break ins, but I got a big dog with a loud bark.

Our neighborhood is OK, but we live in the city and it's more or less luck of the draw whether or not you'll get broken into, mugged, shot etc. TN's brother lives about 1/4 mile from us and has two people shot and killed on his street in the past 2 months.

I just don't sweat it. In Memphis it's something insane like a 90% chance that if you are killed, it will be by someone you know. Since I don't anybody that wants to kill me, I feel alright. :rolleyes:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
After living in cities almost my entire life, having many thousands of dollars worth of property stolen from my cars and home on numerous occasions while locked and alarmed, having two people murdered(separate incidents) within sight of my front doors, etc., I have developed "street smarts" or paranoia, as some of you may believe. Since getting married and having kids, though, I now live way out in the nice suburban boondocks and commute an hour plus to work each way. The peace of mind is well worth it. Though my family has never had to experience urban hood life, I feel blessed in an odd way to have had to. They forget to lock doors and leave their bikes in the yard and aren't good about enabling the security system...and I'm fine with that. I just quietly go on behind them correcting such things happy that my vigilence is no longer quite so necessary.

I have not experienced crime whatsoever since moving to the sticks, but old habits die hard. It's just as well, I suppose. I keep training with my guns and other weapons now just for sport and to keep my skills sharp comfortable that I'll likely never have to use them but appeasing of my upbringing and sense of duty just in case.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
:twitch: i dont think my neihbors feel safe

I think my neighbors feel the same way. There are several people who walk around and turn around right before hitting my property line. I should close the drapes before walking around naked and should probably pee in the yard less.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Man, I haven't been able to pee in the yard for years. I've got so little land I'd probably end up peeing across three property lines, and my neighbors wouldn't like that.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Its not worth your life to protect a t.v and computer...
Yeah, what about the bikes? I keep a pulaski at my bedside, no one acts like a baddass when pissed off DH'r has an ax in his hand:pirate2:

My neighborhood is chill, I have renters insurance too. Not too worried about saftey actually.