Quantcast

how old is too old ?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Well I was just thinking about all the young grommets tearing it up right now. Im 15 right now and starting to think that even im a little old to be getting into the sport? When were the big time pros like gracia, minnar, peat etc. getting into the race scene? I know theres crazy people like Sam Hill and stuff but how do these kids get around to WC events and stuff? How do they get the recognition they have? I guess this is a lame thread but is it mianly the kids parents or what?

thanks

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
lol! 15 being too old to get in the sport? i thought 15 is when people start. as long as your rip youll never be too old.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I started riding at age 26, started racing DH at age 35.

If you're doing it for the fame, you are about 99.999% guaranteed disappointment.

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
You'll never reach fame unless you're doing it for fun and not fame, anyway.

Getting into the sport at 15 is great. By 18 or 19 you'll be quite experienced already. It depends how much you ride, I only get to ride once every couple weeks so I'm getting old too fast.

Big E

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Hell Paso Texas
i thought it was old enough to bleeds old enough for me. oh wait wrong thing. but dude i started riding dh when i was 16 and started racing when i was 16

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Big E said:
racing is easy. just do it. all you need is a bike and some huevos to back yourself up.

huevos means eggs by the way. i think you mean juevos. There arent any races in my area that i can find. so that why i cant race yet.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
this thread has gotten some amazing smartass remarks i expected. Thanks for the input zedro.

now ill explain the unseriousness of the post, its just a litlle step it up joke me, thoughtfull pirate and curious have going about a certain BIGHITTER START RACER!!!!. Note the signature as more sign of the step up KID.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
biker3 said:
now ill explain the unseriousness of the post, its just a litlle step it up joke me, thoughtfull pirate and curious have going about a certain BIGHITTER START RACER!!!!. Note the signature as more sign of the step up KID.
i cant figure out which part of that sentence i dont understand more.....

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
biker3 said:
:confused:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
stoney98 said:
do the lights ever turn on and off when you ehm... hit it? I"ve always wondered that.
Hmm I will investigate that firther this evening with the help of a lovely assistant.

It DOES however go on and off if you use a workstand to adjust gears with a sram xo shifter..click, click *on* click click *off*

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
In regards to BMX there has been little in relation to age starting and potential.. and most of the DH 4x MTB'rs used to race bmx --Lopes started bmx when he was like 9 and so did the Housemans, but I think Gracia started really late since he was dedicated to skiing before bikes.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
chicodude01 said:
huevos means eggs by the way. i think you mean juevos. There arent any races in my area that i can find. so that why i cant race yet.
Mexican ghetto spanish dictates that huevos is the correct spelling, I'd also accept huebos, juevos or juebos though as there's really no pnuemonic differance between the four and most don't know how to spell or read nearly as well as they speak, heze.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Transcend said:
Look up the meaning of "hez" in a good spanish-english dictionary, you'll be astonished... and you'll wonder why anybody would want to be called heze, esse, hese or any other spelling of the same pronunciation.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Kornphlake said:
Mexican ghetto spanish dictates that huevos is the correct spelling, I'd also accept huebos, juevos or juebos though as there's really no pnuemonic differance between the four and most don't know how to spell or read nearly as well as they speak, heze.

But if you rack your huevos on the top tube you might get yellow yoke running out of your boys. :p

And thanks for this thread btw. Now I fell really old when a 15 yo kid thinks he's to old! :confused: Don't worry about age, just toss a leg over the bike and ride.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm lost. Is that because I'm 34 and over the hill? You young whippersnappers are just too crazy for this old dog.

Guess I'll just go do what I've done...ride my bike. :thumb: :D

15 is too old: :stosh:

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
i noticed that a whole bunch of younger kids are ****ing balls out fast. like, here lemme grip the bars till my knuckles turn white, and ill never touch the brakes in the process. i hate that. i hate being shown up by kids that are lower on the food chain than me. and i know im not to old, im only 16, but my knees already make the same krackly noises that my Dads knees make and he is about 40 something.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
my knees make those noises too, but thats because of skateboarding and basketball. it doesnt slow me down a bit. just quit yer bitchin and ride your way through it. :thumb:

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Im 15 and think that for the most part a lot of the people at the race circuit near me are within the ages of 10-25. Its cool to see a kid whos like 12 riding a F1. :rolleyes:

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
biker3 said:
Well I was just thinking about all the young grommets tearing it up right now. Im 15 right now and starting to think that even im a little old to be getting into the sport? When were the big time pros like gracia, minnar, peat etc. getting into the race scene? I know theres crazy people like Sam Hill and stuff but how do these kids get around to WC events and stuff? How do they get the recognition they have? I guess this is a lame thread but is it mianly the kids parents or what?

thanks
I didn't get on my first mtb till I was 27. Before that all I did was commute (stay upright and go to work ;))...

I know 65 year olds on the mountain that kill the trails. Xc, dh and FR :)...There is a guy in that range on the shore ripping it up.

So how old is to old...Dead...

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
zedro said:
yeah its funny my knees were at their worst at 16-17 from basketball and growth spurts. Could barely walk at times.
That was me. I had 2 major growth spurts leaving me on my back. Grade 3 I grew from 5 ft to 5'6 in almost no time flat. My legs just ached constantly. And when I hit grade 8 I had another major spurt from 5'8 to my current height of 6'5. that left me in agony. Very happy I haven't grown since then...