Quantcast

HOW DO YOU RELACE A 26" wheel, to a 24" rim?

liquid_surf

Chimp
Mar 18, 2004
Vancouver, B.C.
Hi, I'm stuck with a dillemma here.
First- I want a 24" rear wheel
Second- I currently have a 26" rear wheel
but...- I could not find the right rear wheel i wanted so I want to just get the rim and fit it to my old hub and spokes, but I'm not sure if the spokes from the 26" will fit on my 24" . So, I'm just asking you pro's out there to help me out, how to relace and what spokes and stuff to get? This is my first time so I'll need help. THanks.
~Aaron
P.S. The rim is a Intense MAG30 24"

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
No, the sopkes will not fit.
It is rare to find 2 hubs from different mfg's that have the same dimensions, same with rims. You are lucky to find 2 wheels that use the same length spokes. Go to a shop and have them cut you some noe spokes. Its worth it.

gtbike

Chimp
Nov 3, 2001
I live in Surprise, Arizona
If you are not using a rear disk brake, your rim brake posts are not set up to touch a 24" rim. Look into some of the downhiller stuff for a 24 inch wheel or with the 4 cross/slalom folks. Dirtjumpers might have some info too. Good Luck.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
for a newbie it would be easy to tape the rims together concentrically with the valve stems lined up and replace one long spoke with one short spoke laced to the 24" rim. Or you can just take apart the whole wheel and copy the lacing of the front wheel. Either way expect to spend a minimum of 3 hours for your first build. Be sure to keep things even and go around the wheel 1/4-1/2 turn on each nipple at a time starting at the valve stem so you know where to stop and stress the spokes.

Check out Sheldonbrown.com under the wheel building section, it's very complete.

Joker

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
Bottom line you need new spokes, 24" wheels typically have 230-240mm spoke lengths while a 26"spoke can range anywere from 250 to 270mm depends on wheel/hub combo and cross pattern.

As an example a 24" single track has a 230m spoke length while a 26" single track has a 266mm spoke length using the same hub type and a cross 3 pattern.

rekt23

Chimp
Feb 26, 2003
pa
You "might" and that is a very maybe "might" be able to four cross your spokes with a twenty four inch rim. Your local LBS should have measuring devices that calculate your spoke length depending on what rim-hub-spoke#- cross pattern you want to use. But, if you're building a new wheel, do it the right way. Use new spokes and a rim.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
i dont suggest doing the 4 cross, its difficult. also, truing it up will be tougher. just get some different spokes. or send the whole lot to dt swiss because they have a builder there that can do a wheel in like 30 minutes or less and he can do so many the prices are real low.