Quantcast

How do you Pay for your bikes?

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I have 2 M-1s from 2001 and 2. I have made and installed aluminum down tube guards and chain stay protectors. I replace the bearings once a year and keep my bikes in top condition. (That said I damaged my nomad two weeks ago and cracked the head tube bit that’s another story). The basic rule is buy smart and treat your equipment so it lasts. I have a friend of mine buys a new dh frame every year. In the five years he has done this he has spent roughly 10,000 just on his frames. He sells his frames at around a 50% loss that’s 5g's or one fully loaded dh bike. In that time I have spent around 400 on a paint jobs and new bearings around 4x's.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
my problem is I always want more then I have. I'll buy something and then I want the next new thing a year later...all my plans of building a hardtail this summer seem to have fallen threw as I spent all my funds on a camera, and my plans of getting a new bike frame (FS) are gone for the next 2 years atleast.

I have an adiction...

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
yep sold almost everyhting I really had that was worth money, ps2 games, pb gun, guitar, amp. All for bikes. This pashion is expensive. Thanks for everyones chime in even if it was for a few laughs. Im thinking about doing construction apparently its really great money and I love wood working. Working sucks but to pay for bikes I can deal with it. I know what you mean about a buying addiction, I got a giant stp march last year, rode over summer got hooked, sold for a blur 4x (that I still have) after a while I wanted a hardtail so I shilled out the dough for a bike that im going to keep for as long as I ride which is my nemesis Project. Got into street then fractured my face. Now im trying to get a dh bike for this summers festivities. Like said above if you find youself really into biking everything else that you could get just seams to be put on hold. Atleast thats the way I see it.

on the real... since there's maybe only one or two other serious posts here to this totally legit question...

I've sold almost everthing I've invested in my other hobbies as my obsession with MTB has grown over the last few years. I've liquidated probly well over $2,500 worth of music equiptment that has just sat around more and more since I dont play in a band anymore and sunk it all into my bike, gear, and ride trips. I've ebayed amps and effect pedals I've had since I was a teenager, sold collectors item vinyl records, and craig'slisted rare bootleg nirvana albums... all in the name of what the bike beast inside me demands!!! SACRIFICE!! MORE!!!

If you truly are passionate about riding, you'll find that all your other hobbies and other interests will eventually fall to being liquidated into funds that can and will support the MTB habit.

It's a sickness, and we all got it bad son, so ebay that xbox, pawn your baseball card collection, and hock the spiderman comics... The bike beast wants MORE!!!

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
I have 2 M-1s from 2001 and 2. I have made and installed aluminum down tube guards and chain stay protectors. I replace the bearings once a year and keep my bikes in top condition. (That said I damaged my nomad two weeks ago and cracked the head tube bit that’s another story). The basic rule is buy smart and treat your equipment so it lasts. I have a friend of mine buys a new dh frame every year. In the five years he has done this he has spent roughly 10,000 just on his frames. He sells his frames at around a 50% loss that’s 5g's or one fully loaded dh bike. In that time I have spent around 400 on a paint jobs and new bearings around 4x's.
I've been racing for 4 yrs and I have 4 bikes. My 1st year I bought a XC bike (Specialized Stump Jumper Pro)....ooops. Then I bought a 2002 Spec. Big Hit Comp Large, I liked it so much, the next year I bought a 2001 Spec. Big Hit Medium. This year I wanted a 26" rear so I have an Intense M1. I tried to PRODEAL a Yeti 303 but they stopped taking orders.....UGH!!! Next year its the 303 or the M5. I also have a CRAP LOAD of spare parts.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
I quit my job, but I sold cable for time warner. I have no job. I am gonna take the summer off. I got some projects I would like to finish, and bike allot, and then maybe like in Sept. I will get a job. Then of course my frame, and rear wheel bent last week when my X0 spontaneously combusted. So I am spending about 650 on a used fork, Super T, New frame, 'Goose Black Diamond, and derailer X9. Good thing I got money in the bank....

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
I know it...but I dont have hook ups to get one :-/. Not to mention I'm at crew 3 hours a day 6 days a week, and periodic races all weekend, which is a turn off for most people who want work done. Luckily I'm turning 16 in 2 days and I have my LBS resume sitting next to me as I type this, just going to wait till I get that 3.0 next month to turn it in :-D.
R E I !!!

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I work at a bike shop, and still don't have enough money to pay for all the bikes I own, and want. The problem with working at a shop can be the search that never stops. Since you are immersed in it all day, you find cool things to build a bike around, or find cool bikes in general. Thus, my paychecks rarely leave the shop doors. Thanks QBP. Assholes.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Word HRDTLBRO. I come up with whacky, expensive, enticing wholesale ideas all day long at the shop.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i design toy packaging for Hasbro (#2 toy company worldwide). and still got a hook-up through my old shop. frame wise i'm racing for some friends who own a framebuilding company and i'm doing 'r&d' slash on the frame slash racing for them (layman's terms: free frame). not a bad deal.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
by highjacking local a.t.v riders and selling their machines on the black market.
(no wait, that's how i fund my trails.)

i respectfully plead the fifth amendment.
on the grounds that anything i say may cause me to be tossed in the slammer.
(unless ohio can show me how george has taken that away from us too.)

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
I have a decent day job, but my wife doesn't like me to spend money on bikes anymore (have to feed the kids, you know...:twitch: )

So, I got a part-time job at a LBS doing assemblies for 4 hours per week. I get a little money for small parts plus the LBS hook-up, which helps.

My bike came through the Morewood Sponsorhouse Program, so I got a good start there.

In the meantime, I shove a little money aside each month for a new frame for next year. $100 a month (or so) adds up quick if you don't touch it.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
problem is, if you ride the bike you have, you're forced to touch it.

tires.
rims.
brake pads etc...

a.l.

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
Spend my evenings making chips, but I don't work that much lately.

Fortunately, this isn't that expensive of a sport compared to stuff that I used to do. Bikes and parts are relatively cheap, but by the time that gas hits 4$/gal U.S. the travel costs will start gobbling up more of the budget than I like.
If we get a bigger rig to cram more people in, than I need to get a bigger trailer to load more bikes and junk on-so maybe the best option is less road trips and more local riding, but travel has always been abig part of the fun- I would sure hate to have to work more to pay for it.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
blue read your sig right now and that is how we all feel about you. jk

most of us including me work very hard to ride are beloved bikes. i just started a new job and i buy my bike with money not white powdery stuff like some other people on here.

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
luckily, my high school grades got me enough scholarship money to have $2500 left over each semester, so basically that money goes towards my bikes, and food. but thats it

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I buy used parts, sell them before they break, and borrow parts from friends. Working at shops has helped a lot as well, mostly in recycling customers' old, not-really-broken-but-has-a-lot-of-scratches, still functional parts.

People throw soooo much good stuff away. Re-use, re-duce, re-cycle!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
a badge of honor (show your pal ohio how that word is properly spelled,)

jealous of a little punk@$$ pip squeek like you ?

you're one of those guys who ten seconds after you've met someone you've popped off to on-line, you'd be on the ground cowering and shaking, all the while begging forgiveness.

you've got nothing.