Quantcast

How bad is this?

Vandal

Chimp
Mar 3, 2005
I let my friend who weighs 200 lbs ride my P1 on a trail ride with me and he pulled the seat post almost all the way out. Needless to say, the post got really bent but what I'm concerned about is what happened to the frame. I took it to a local shop and they did as much as they could but it still looks like this. This is as far as I can get the collar around it. How dangerous is this? Is the frame toast?

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
It's aluminum, you should be able to get it back into better shape than that. Use some vise-grips and channel locs, then slowy work everything back into position.

Take your time though, and do it a little at a time.

The frame isn't toast, but make sure the seat post is in past the top tube when you head out.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Not sure it's very dangerous given the location, but because it's aluminum it is likely to crack or break if you try to bend it back much more. In that regard opjones's idea is probably not the greatest. If you can get the post in as far as you like I'd say ride it and see what happens. You could also use your old post as a guide to fix your frame by tapping it down and then tapping around the damages area to re-shape it. If you do that, your "friend" should be made to pony up for a new post. (After you bitch-slap him, that is.)

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Can't blame the 200lb friend, pretty sure Vandal realized that. I let my 225lb ride my bike, that was the last time I ever let anyone ride my rigs on trails.

OG has the right idea, the frame will crack if you try to hard to get it back to straight. I'd prolly attempt to massage the seat post to get the collar on a bit more but just enough. Get one of those 24 dbl cock ring seat collars. That'll clamp down on that real good.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
If nothing else works you could try and cut the tube down. You might be able to cut off the bent part...you would only lose an inch or so of post extension. It would probably be better than trashing the whole frame.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
What xcursedx said. IMO it's better to not bend aluminum because you'll crack it or it'll get really brittle.