Quantcast

how about that stratos el hefe

huckleberry

Chimp
Jan 24, 2003
yeah thinking about throwing one on one of my rides. i have a 5th ele on it now but i'm looking to upgrade. if anybody knows anything about these shox drop a line peaceout

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
I've never owned one but I've had a couple friends that ran Stratos shocks and it was the worst idea ever. They had nothing but problems with them. Stratos's customer service was not the least bit helpfull. I know there are people on RM that have had good succes with them but after seeing my friends deal with them I'll pass.

huckleberry

Chimp
Jan 24, 2003
yeah i've been hearing a few negative things about them but i wanted to see what people thought anyway thnx for the feedback peaceout

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
I own one and have owned a helix Pro as well. Stratos CS isnt the best ( I have personally had no problems )for certain BUT the El Jefe is very well made and doesnt ever need to see Stratos after you buy it. Its all standard off the shelf moto parts for seals, shims etc. They even included instructions on how to service it yourself. It is an awesome performer. Super well controlled stroke, super reliable, no fading at all. basically set it and maybe turn it a click or 2 depending on the course. Thats it.

I like mine enoug that I am probably buying another for my new ride.

huckleberry

Chimp
Jan 24, 2003
is it worth upgrading from a 5ele. i want to go w/ an avy but i don't have the cake right now. what ride do you have the elhefe on

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
IMO yes its worth upgrading if you can sell your 5th. I like the feel of the El Jefe more than a 5th. I have both the El Jefe and an Avy ....El Jefe is on my Iron Horse SGS DH. It has a very well controlled stroke but doesnt have the dead, bogged down feel he 5th's I have ridden seem to have. Feels pretty firm like its over-damped in the parking lot and at really slow speed but once youare moving it sokas everything up. Its likely to be alot more reliable. I have ran it since April, as have 2 other people I know and none of us have have a single problem with them.

Ride wise it feels identical to my Avy.