Quantcast

House Resolution 153

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Introduced on March 20th:
Recognizing the public need for fasting and prayer in order to secure the blessings and protection of Providence for the people of the United States and our Armed Forces during the conflict in Iraq and under the threat of terrorism at home.
a whole bunch of whereas....

Now, therefore, be it Resolved, That it is the sense of the House of Representatives that the President should issue a proclamation-- (1) designating a day for humility, prayer, and fasting for all people of the United States; and (2) calling on all people of the United States--(A) to observe the day as a time of prayer and fasting; (B) to seek guidance from God to achieve a greater understanding of our own failings and to learn how we can do better in our everyday activities; and (C) to gain resolve in meeting the challenges that confront our Nation.
Ah yes, we are going to war to fight the damn religous fundamentalists.....

the whole resolution is here:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:hres153:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I would be villified by certain factions on theis board for my real feelings on this matter so I won't go there other than to say.

to those proffering this resolution: Stay the heck away from me.

[this PC sanitized commentary brought to you by someone totally repulsed by this resolution]

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by eric strt6
I would be villified by certain factions on theis board for my real feelings on this matter so I won't go there other than to say.

[this PC sanitized commentary brought to you by someone totally repulsed by this resolution]
Burn the witch!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Guess these jackasses have never read Matthew 6: 5-8.

Which God are we praying to exactly, anyways? Osama's? George Bush's? The Pope's? Jerry Falwell's? Jahweh? Allah? Jesus? The Budda? The Divine Earth Goddess? The Great Spirit? My mother's?

If this does pass (and I pray it doesn't!) there are going to some Irish Catholics who are conflicted. Prayer or Guiness? I guess I have to give them credit for having a sense of humor, proposing this for March 17th.

Why oh why oh why are they wasting their time on stuff like this and freedom fries? I've said it before, and I'll say it again: What a bunch of jerkoffs.

Originally posted by eric strt6

Woohoo this is a great idea yippee yahoo hurrah!

:p

(Sorry, couldn't resist. :p)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by LordOpie
wtf happened to separation of church and state?
They probably did not offer any reference to a particular religion so they can get away with this. I think anytime they do something like this Satanic organizations should hold public ceremonies in front of the White House. That might shut them up.:eviltongu

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by laura
i have never said this before today but i will say it now

george W bush is a fvcking idiot.
This Resolution is coming from the House of Representatives.

But I think it is safe to say That G.W. and most of Congress are complete idiots.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by Westy
This Resolution is coming from the House of Representatives.

But I think it is safe to say That G.W. and most of Congress are complete idiots.
What does that say about the people who voted for them?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by fluff
What does that say about the people who voted for them?
There are a lot of stupid voters out there.

But for the most part voters are offered two candidates who disagree on everything. Their views rarely match the view of the voters. Voters tend to select someone on the big issues like abortion or taxes. The two party system makes things simple but it is not the best way to run a government, and our government is basically run by the two major parties. Most people end up just voting for who they hate least.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
There are a lot of stupid voters out there.

But for the most part voters are offered two candidates who disagree on everything. Their views rarely match the view of the voters. Voters tend to select someone on the big issues like abortion or taxes. The two party system makes things simple but it is not the best way to run a government, and our government is basically run by the two major parties. Most people end up just voting for who they hate least.
well said

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I wish more people if unhappy with both choices would just vote for a pre-arranged 3rd party, instead of just voter for which candidate they dislike less.

It would be great to see Homer Simpson beat out the partisan candidates.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Tenchiro
I wish more people if unhappy with both choices would just vote for a pre-arranged 3rd party, instead of just voter for which candidate they dislike less.

I have voted libertarian for the past few elections. The thing that stinks about 3rd parties is you know that your candidate will not even hit double digit percentages. I would just like to see a good mainstreem candidate come along.

Maybe Bush will decide not to run and let McCain go for it. :rolleyes:
OK, back to reality.
Homer Simpson in 2004!!!!!:thumb:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Tenchiro

yes, but which 3rd party? I voted for Ross Perot, in part cuz he was predicted to be the only 3rd party to actually have a chance. I continue to vote 3rd party. I thought Perot had some great ideas for presidency. Plus, I liked the dude ever since I read Ken Follet's On Wings of Eagles :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The original George W warned the public on the evils of political parties in his farewell adress. It is long and boring but basically he said that Political Parties=Bad.

An excerpt from George Washington’s farewell address:

I have already intimated to you the danger of parties in the state, with particular reference to the founding of them on geographical discriminations. Let me now take a more comprehensive view, and warn you in the most solemn manner against the baneful effects of the spirit of party generally.

This spirit, unfortunately, is inseparable from our nature, having its root in the strongest passions of the human mind. It exists under different shapes in all governments, more or less stifled, controlled, or repressed; but in those of the popular form it is seen in its greatest rankness and is truly their worst enemy.

The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders and miseries which result gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of an individual, and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation on the ruins of public liberty.

Without looking forward to an extremity of this kind (which nevertheless ought not to be entirely out of sight), the common and continual mischiefs of the spirit of party are sufficient to make it the interest and duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it.

It serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms; kindles the animosity of one part against another; foments occasional riot and insurrection. It opens the door to foreign influence and corruption, which find a facilitated access to the government itself through the channels of party passion. Thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another.

There is an opinion that parties in free countries are useful checks upon the administration of the government, and serve to keep live the spirit of liberty. This within certain limits is probably true; and in governments of monarchical cast patriotism may look with indulgence, if not with favor, upon the spirit of party, but in those of the popular character, in governments purely elective, it is a spirit not to be encouraged. From their natural tendency it is certain there will always be enough of that spirit for every salutary purpose; and there being constant danger of excess, the effort ought to be by force of public opinion to mitigate and assuage it. A fire not to be quenched, it demands a uniform vigilance to prevent its bursting into a flame, lest, instead of warming, it should consume.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
...religion. It continues to amaze me how few people recognize what "the separation of church and state" is about. What's the big deal? Pray or do not pray to God, Jehovah, Jesus, Allah, Shiva, Krishna, Yahweh, Satan, the almighty dollar...whatever. Who cares? Do you think everyone uses Presidents Day, Memorial Day, MLK Day, or any of the others as intended? Why get so bent out of shape over a feel-good non-issue?:confused:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
...religion. It continues to amaze me how few people recognize what "the separation of church and state" is about. What's the big deal? Pray or do not pray to God, Jehovah, Jesus, Allah, Shiva, Krishna, Yahweh, Satan, the almighty dollar...whatever. Who cares? Do you think everyone uses Presidents Day, Memorial Day, MLK Day, or any of the others as intended? Why get so bent out of shape over a feel-good non-issue?:confused:
I agree.

What the f@#$ people? Im gunna eat, and maybe we'll get a 3 day weekend out of it somewhere down the line.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Because it's a big waste of time meant to pander to special interests. It's also a big fvck you to everyone who doesn't believe in a christian version of god or any god at all.

I mean, we are in the middle of 2 or 3 neverending wars (I keep forgetting if the war on poverty counts, I think we threw in the towel on that one already), and have a budget crisis at the state an national levels.

Maybe prayer is the only way they think they can solve this screw up?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Silver
Because it's a big waste of time meant to pander to special interests.
agreed!

Like renaming the French Fries to Freedom Fries? Don't these guys have more important things to do... like chase the interns?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by LordOpie
agreed!

Like renaming the French Fries to Freedom Fries? Don't these guys have more important things to do... like chase the interns?
No, Making people feel good about the food they eat is much more important than solving problems like unemployement or North Korea.

They should have renamed French Fries to Fat Ass Fries or Obese Children Potato Chunks.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Because it's a big waste of time meant to pander to special interests. It's also a big fvck you to everyone who doesn't believe in a christian version of god or any god at all.

I mean, we are in the middle of 2 or 3 neverending wars (I keep forgetting if the war on poverty counts, I think we threw in the towel on that one already), and have a budget crisis at the state an national levels.

Maybe prayer is the only way they think they can solve this screw up?
Wah Wah Wah!

That's the best noise i can spell that sounds like a phone call on Charlie Brown.

Heaven forbid our government try to instill some national pride, and try to improve moral by doing patriotic things with their time. Yes, there are other problems, but our country's in a slump in other ways as well.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I don't want them doing "patriotic things" with their time. I want them doing their fvcking job, and that is not to be a preacher. They are supposed to be running the govenment when they aren't out soliciting campaign donations.

Getting an earful from a politician about morality is more than I can stand these days.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
And BurlySurly, you gotta bring back your old avatar. That burrito makes me ill :)
I was hoping B.S. would run for office on a frozen burrito platform. That would be a 3rd party I would vote for.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I was hoping B.S. would run for office on a frozen burrito platform. That would be a 3rd party I would vote for.
I've been meaning to replace this avatar. Im gunna get a picture of Ivan Drago for the next one, since i look alot like that guy, cause last time, i think people thought i looked like Syd Barret.

And i told ya...im gunna be heading up the Toga Party.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
Do you think everyone uses Presidents Day, Memorial Day, MLK Day, or any of the others as intended? Why get so bent out of shape over a feel-good non-issue?:confused:
Because it's only a "feel-good non-issue" if you're a Christian.

Show me another Holiday that tells us:
1. Do not eat
2. Pray to God

If enacted, I would either have to violate the laws of Judiasm (not allowed to pray to God for things so specific), or "abuse" a National Holiday by not actually doing what it was created for. The fact that I wouldn't get in trouble for not praying doesn't make it any more right.

People that practice their religion in this manner are free to do so ANY TIME THEY WANT. That is freedom of religion. It is not the governments place to tell ANYONE how or when to practice religion. That is seperation of Church and State.

Edit: by your logic it would be just dandy if we passed a national "hate your mother" day... and it would be all good because we'd get a day off.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I think anytime they do something like this Satanic organizations should hold public ceremonies in front of the White House. That might shut them up.:eviltongu
that might shut them up if anyone took satanist seriously. they'd get about as much attention as a french military parade.:devil:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by manimal
that might shut them up if anyone took satanist seriously. they'd get about as much attention as a french military parade.:devil:
I personally know a lot of people who would become deeply upset seeing something like that. Many people feel that you should have the right to free religion as long as it is a "normal" religion.