Quantcast

Hope Prototype cranks spotted!

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
By that definition, then all aluminum is cast at some point in it's life cycle.
Quite true. We saw trucks loaded with aluminum ingots rolling through Spokane every day from the Kaiser smelter to their nearby rolling mill for decades. It all starts as molten material poured into molds.

Wouldn't that extruding process have the same beneficial effect on grain alignment that forging has?
A short explanation of forging vs. extruding that I found helpful:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36415

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
^^^ that's awesome. got any more pics?
just a couple more, he brought the frame in to swap the crapped out Manitou fork for a rigid. The rigid fork was still in the plastic wrapping and never used.

I would have taken more but the guy was rushing me to get the fork swapped and I ran into issues with the brake.

The fork had 1991 on it.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
^^^THAT is awesome.

I remember those old press-fit BB bearings, gawddamn they were a pain the butt when they seized.

And they sure had some fugly paint jobs back then. Good quality work but so many tragic color choices and combo's.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Is a forged/CNC'd crank really stronger or was that just RaceFace marketing?
I used to work at the aerospace company that made the raw forgings for raceface. They were not cheap. On a crank that sees every surface machined again, it is cheaper to make it from extruded block.
When you do the math, turning block into chips is pretty damn cheap.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I thought it was a RS but the guy swore the team issue forks were a Manitou something.
That pink thing is a Rock Shox fork, Manitou looks completly different.

A guy had the green Yo eddy back in the day and dropped it off at the bike shop every winter for a full rebuild, I wanted that bike so bad.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
That pink thing is a Rock Shox fork, Manitou looks completly different.

A guy had the green Yo eddy back in the day and dropped it off at the bike shop every winter for a full rebuild, I wanted that bike so bad.
I tried to buy it from him but he said it was his wife's and she would never part with it. :think:

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
The Hope site states that its a 32t chainring but looking at the pic of their ring and a 32t 104BCD ring that I have here their's does look like a smaller BCD. Great...more stuff to want...
I counted 30 teeth on the silver chainring, despite what the captions say. Not sure what I think about a new BCD for a single ring crank, maybe make the cranks compatible with existing BMX style chainrings. Does anyone know if that would work? I've never used BMX cranks.

It is just a prototype after all so can't complain too much about questionable new standards.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Fun to see these cool old bikes. This was before I could afford a mountain bike, but I had a fred meyer mountain bike with aluminum rims, three peice cranks and cantilever brakes. I thought it was sooo cool. I special ordered some of these and it was pimp:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I love how a thread about a new product from Hope has turned into a thread about cool old products! I wonder if that means Hope cranks are destined to become classics!?!