Quantcast

hope enduro questions?

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
I recently bought a set of used enduro’s from a buddy and I have a few questions.

They came with a set of brand new levers and line so I’m in the process of switching everything over. The thing is the levers are c2’s not 02’s. I’ve looked over the drawings and the only difference I can see between the c2’s and 02’s is the top cap/piston and seal. Am I correct? Also, I had assumed that the lever assembly on the enduro’s and dh4/02 that I already have would be the same but when I opened it up there was no piston in the reservoir just a seal at the top. Can I run these levers like the standard open levers? Is there any advantage to doing so?

When I was bleeding the rear I encountered a problem that I haven’t had before. I bleed my hopes by pushing oil from the caliper to the lever with a syringe. When I first hooked it up I could not push any oil through. The bleed nipple was loose and the lever was open but I couldn’t get anything through. So I pulled the bleed nipple right out and poured some oil in to the reservoir. It slowly fed into the line. I hooked up the bleed nipple and my syringe again and I was able to push some oil through but then it locked up again. Do I have something stuck in my caliper or fittings somewhere? Is there another explanation?

I’ve heard that people have had troubles with enduro’s, any tricks, tips or warnings? For now I’m just going to replace the rear 02 I have and see how the enduro feels. My dh4 is working well so I’ll keep it for now.

Thanks,

Banj

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
The new ones are, but as far as I can see it's just the top cap/adjustable piston that are different so I switched that out for the enduros top cap and seal.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I believe there is a copper type leaf spring in the bottom of the reservoir (that better Luc) of the open lever. Hope warns about mixing the open to closed components.

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
The only spring I see is the spring washer under the adjustment knob?

Closed

open

The levers were sent to my buddy after he complained about problems with the ones he had.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
He's talking about the hole in the bottom of the reservoir, where fluid moves between the piston and the master cylinder. Some levers have a leaf-spring type piece of metal over this hole, some levers don't. I'm in the middle of trying to remember whether it's open or closed levers that have it...I need the same info, coincidentally.

Swapped some levers around and I forget which is which.

MD

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
I'll take another closer look but I'm almost positive there was nothing in there. Unless it's on the other side of the hole. If that's the case do I take the lever assembly apart to get at it? Why isn't it in the drawing?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's on the visible side of the hole if it's there. It's not shown in any schematic I've ever seen, which has added to my confusion as to which is which.

There's also the possibility that it's not open- or closed- specific; maybe it just has to do with the model year of the lever, but I'm frankly not sure. Giving Hope USA a call would be the best way to answer this...

MD

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I just pulled an old open pro cap off, it did not have anything inside, however this one had the older solid piston instead on the newer rubber diaphram. I do remember seeing a copper spring in some of the more recent ones.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
euhh...why?

just ask them. Can if the C2 and DH04 lever bodys are the same other than the reservoir innards.

then ask them if it would work with an Enduro caliper.

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
Because of my fear of phones!!!

I took a step forward though and bit the bullit and called anyway. My phone phobia group sessions must be helping!

Anyway the only difference is the top cap so what I've done is okay.

Now that I know that wasn't the cause of my bleeding problems should I assume I have something stuck somewhere?

Any tips for enduro's.

thanks
Banj

al

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Bath, UK.
That pic is for a close lever assembly, not an open one. They are the same except for the resevoir internals as someone said. Yes, these levers work just fine with the Enduro4 (E4) caliper, indeed, they were designed for them.

You bleed them from the top, not from the bottom. You really should get yourself over to www.hopetech.com and download the user manual!

The ruber diaphram is "better" than the old plunger as its faster reacting and doesnt get stuck, the metal bit that fits into the bottom of the resevoir stop the diaphram being sucked into the hole and tearing.

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
There's two pics, one of the closed and one of the open system, I put them both up to compare.

I have the manuals. I've bled my hopes both the way it says in the manual...ie. fill the resevoir, open the bleed valve, pull your lever, close the bleed nipple, release the lever, repeat a 100 time...and with a syringe bleeding from the caliper to the lever. I've had equal success and no problems until now, the only difference is that it take 10 minutes with the syringe as opposed to an hour or more with the fill and pump method. I've wanted to try the automotive pressure bleeder for a while but never bit the bullit and bought one to try it. Around how much do they go for?

thanks for all the help

al

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Bath, UK.
A Hope Bleed kit is an automotic bleeder kit like you would buy in Halfords (or US equiv), but with an adapter to fit it to the resevoir. I have one, never used it. Its quicker and easier for me to do it manually, takes 5mins.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
banj said:
Which is better? What do you use?

How much is the power bleeder? $20 to $35 isn't bad, I though it'd be more than that.
I use both methods, but recently been going with the Hope bleeder, it works really well, except for Acadian, but he doesn't know how to use it :eviltongu