Quantcast

Honda rn01

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
so again this kind of thread, but i just argue with my firnd (he is honda lover) he say that honda is the best thing money can buy in mtb world i say there is better one, you just pay honda sticker..
what do you think ?!

and yes confirmed price i ask one guy who ask another guy is 65,000 dollars and its yours, isnt that litlle to hard core for pedal kind transportation ?!?

sorry for another thread about this bike, but if you have some new infos or newest pics bring it on..

:cool:

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
cuz they're sweet. 65k is a little much though cuz you can get other internal gearbox bikes for alot less. the honda's just sick. minnar probably doesnt have a problem though cuz they pay for it. if someone (honda) offered to give you one of those if you race for them, wouldnt you do it?

Mar 3, 2004
England!
jcook90 said:
cuz they're sweet. 65k is a little much though cuz you can get other internal gearbox bikes for alot less. the honda's just sick
65K though? You can buy a pretty sweet car for that. Nothing on the bike justifies such a price.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
65k was the prototype costs including tolling manufacture design etc. I bet every top end bike cost at least that...sundays M3s Session 10 etc.

All the storys about mass produced hondas are BS

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
id ride that bike if they would give me minnars paycheck, but if had the decision between that or a sunday id pick the sunday. im really skeptical with these internal gear boxes so ill stick with my external drive bikes. i mean dont get me wrong the bike is awsome and all i just dont like it and well 65k is just freaking ridiculous for a name and carbon fiber (i mean its a dh bike carbon has no place in this sport). that is just my opinion on the bike im not a fan and never will be.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
klunky said:
All the storys about mass produced hondas are BS
They should start an Indy Kart DH category where you can only race on bikes that are available to the public.... :rofl:

Seriously though, it sucks they're not selling those things.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
frznnomad said:
id ride that bike if they would give me minnars paycheck, but if had the decision between that or a sunday id pick the sunday. im really skeptical with these internal gear boxes so ill stick with my external drive bikes. i mean dont get me wrong the bike is awsome and all i just dont like it and well 65k is just freaking ridiculous for a name and carbon fiber (i mean its a dh bike carbon has no place in this sport). that is just my opinion on the bike im not a fan and never will be.
Hmmm the Carbon Lahars have lasted 7 seasons of pro riders with out an issue from there Rohloff hubs or the frames,the Rohloffs are mounted as a gear box.
I think from what I've read the BCDs hold up also.
As for the Honda,hell yeah I'd take one for free but I'd rather the Lahar.
Honda would never sell one as it would take from the mystery,and if they did you'd be signing alot of paper work complying with their rules on ownership.
I guess companies probably do spend close to $65K on design and prototyping but most just carry on from older designs so the works done in the feild with the only costs being warantys, half the initial designs are stolen anyway. I guess they do add up to $65K,There's sure alot of ****ed up designs out there for such an investement.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originaly posted by no skid marks
Hmmm the Carbon Lahars have lasted 7 seasons of pro riders with out an issue from there Rohloff hubs or the frames,the Rohloffs are mounted as a gear box.
I think from what I've read the BCDs hold up also.
As for the Honda,hell yeah I'd take one for free but I'd rather the Lahar.
see i totally forgot about the lahar's and bcd carbon frames. good design, good guys, and im assuming good bikes. im just kinda an old school guy and it takes a lot to get me to switch over to newer stuff like a full carbon frame for dh. i would like to see real life proof and would love to ride one to see if it is something that i could trust. i got a chance to ride a scott ransome and well wasnt impressed with it. i felt like the bike was gonna snap right between my legs, and that was just ridding on some of the trails here in nashville. so it is gonna take a lot to convince me that carbon is going to handle the abuse from dh racing.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
frznnomad said:
i mean its a dh bike carbon has no place in this sport
I hope your bike is steel because aluminum has a reputation for catastrophic failures as well. All bike parts break, and any carbon part will be tested the same way and likely will be the same strength. There's little reason to be skeptical anymore.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originally posted by black noise I hope your bike is steel because aluminum has a reputation for catastrophic failures as well. All bike parts break, and any carbon part will be tested the same way and likely will be the same strength. There's little reason to be skeptical anymore.
no the bike is not steel it is an alluminum frame with alluminum components. yes alluminum has a catastrophic failures, but unlike carbon it will give you a warning sign. weather it be creaking or what not. unlike carbon where it just tears apart and spreads. if carbon fails it breaks and takes everything else with it when it rips. alluminum breaks it is just the component. your entire frame is not gonna fall apart on you. i have ridden carbon frames and just need and want more proof that it is going to be stiffer and more reliable than my alluminum frame. honesly i wasnt impressed at all. acctually the ransom is keeping me away from carbon frames due to the fact that i was afraid that it was gonna fall apart over every rock and bumb i hit on the trail. you can tell me the technology has advance and i shouldnt be skeptical but i am. sorry its gonna take a lot more than internet jibber jaber to make me believe it.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
frznnomad said:
no the bike is not steel it is an alluminum frame with alluminum components. yes alluminum has a catastrophic failures, but unlike carbon it will give you a warning sign. weather it be creaking or what not. unlike carbon where it just tears apart and spreads. if carbon fails it breaks and takes everything else with it when it rips. alluminum breaks it is just the component. your entire frame is not gonna fall apart on you. i have ridden carbon frames and just need and want more proof that it is going to be stiffer and more reliable than my alluminum frame. honesly i wasnt impressed at all. acctually the ransom is keeping me away from carbon frames due to the fact that i was afraid that it was gonna fall apart over every rock and bumb i hit on the trail. you can tell me the technology has advance and i shouldnt be skeptical but i am. sorry its gonna take a lot more than internet jibber jaber to make me believe it.
Sorry but you seem to be the one with the jibber jabber here. Go do some research,you're just spreading Carbon paranoia based on what? Yes I know Trek and GT etc made some carbon mistakes in the past but thats like riding a frame made by somebody learning to weld.Have you seen any carbon product fail and who made it and how did it fail? I havn't heard of FI cars or moto GP bikes having exploding frames,or sail or Motor boats,all high stress aplication. It's easy to research a frame manufacturers rep and see if they can produce carbon reliably(but this is the same for anything).Carbon fibre is made differently for different purposes,race car bodies may break up after damage but they aren't made to survive that etc etc. Any Carbon failure is purelly the fault of the manufacturer and not the product,it's stronger and stiffer than steel.
Anyway sorry this is way of topic here. Back to the red(Gold) wing bike.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
frznnomad said:
i got a chance to ride a scott ransome and well wasnt impressed with it. i felt like the bike was gonna snap right between my legs, and that was just ridding on some of the trails here in nashville. so it is gonna take a lot to convince me that carbon is going to handle the abuse from dh racing.
but did it snap? just because it has a different feel then what youre used to, doesnt mean its inferior.

i think the rest of the carbon positives have been mentioned above

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Its easily the best bike out there. But it comes with the price. If they go to production it will be interesting to see what changes. Its hard to compare it with other WC downhill bikes though, because the V10, M3, Sunday etc.. arent on the same level.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
JohnnyBoyDH said:
Four words:

Honda/Showa Factory Works Suspension......

you can't compete with that....even the MX guys can't compete with that stuff.
That's what I'm talking about. I just want the suspension of that thing. I can't imagine what they have going on with those available resources. :clue:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
sayndesyn said:
I'd be willing to bet skeptics would shut up if they rode the Honda. Works suspension, balanced weight and low weight, no hitting your RD on a rock or getting gunked up in mud, and you can shift without pedalling. Sign me the hell up.

ding ding! we have a winner. the bike is dialed. plain and simple, have i ridden it? no, but neither have most of you. and as far as minaar, the bike, and honda giving them out. sure i would take, it, as would most other people, but there's a reason honda is giving it to minaar and not our sorry asses: he is fast as s**t.

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
It might be a great bike, using a lot of new (to the mountainbike industry) ideas and optimisation techniques but it's not night and day better than anything else out there. How can it be if Minaar is not beating everyone else by seconds every week? He's fast enough that, if it was, he would be.

Don't believe the hype! The rider still makes more difference. ;)

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Sure its probably a sweet bike.
But to say its on another level then a v10, m3 or a sunday is a bit much probably.
Im sure the suspension is definitly on another level though. Telemetrie devices havent been used since BOS quit the game on WC level.
Still the differences arent as huge so you can say the bikes on another level. Minaar has allways been fast even on an orange which is far from a high tech. (not calling it bad...)
I think you would have to try a v10 or m3 and the Honda with the same suspension and fine tuning to compare the bikes.
Especially since very few people have actually ridden a Honda...

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
jcook90 said:
you could also just get a brooklyn machineworks rubber ducky and get the same Honda suspension
well since it's been stolen.. go get it for me

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
You guys are missing some of the point though. I am not talking frame design. I am talking the physical shock itself. I know all the top guys have some form of custom shocks, BUT Push Technology (for example) versus Showa? The budget and access the Factory Honda guys have must be unreal! Back to the MX reference, even all the other top guys can't compete with true Works shocks. It is stuff you can't buy or even retro fit. If Showa wanted to really enter the MTB suspension world...look out!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
and also, its not just the suspension that makes the bike stand out, or the drivetrain either. Its BOTH of them and how they work together.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
funny how inverted forks have fallen off the mainstream, but the trickest factory rides are still using them.