Quantcast

Honda RN01 frameset

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Im not saying it'll happen anytime soon, neigther do I pretend to know exactly why Honda are investing money in MTB, its just a thought I had and still, think it makes a lot of sense. Who know what's its gonna be in 20 years ... I don't think it'll always be seen as a good thing to BURN FUEL FOR FUN, cause thats all dirt bikes are for no? Fun?
I don't see fuel-powered recreation disappearing in our lifetime. Look at what's happening now - - dirt biking and MX are not as big as they once were; but look at the explosion of quads. All the power and speed of a dirt bike and no balancing/riding skills required. Any idiot with an opposable thumb can go 60 in the dirt.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Ok one last time, political posts have been deleted. Take your "truth" to the political forum and feel free to discuss over there. This isn't the place for it.
i applaud you for that one...whether I agree or disagree with his post that could have turned ugly haha

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Ok one last time, political posts have been deleted. Take your "truth" to the political forum and feel free to discuss over there. This isn't the place for it.

hey dude, you were the one that started bitching about how farm vehicles cause smog in cities.....i would say polution is a political topic and YOU started discussing it, not me......i was just correcting you on the fact that farm vehicles don't cause smog in metropolitan areas because they have no presence there there, but that's cool....you are the one mod who just deletes whatever he doesn't agree with, or any post by someone how calls you out.....i can get used to that

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Sorry? As I recall I didn't bring it up, Ian did. (His post is still there, as it wasn't meant to induce the conversation it started. Mine isn;t as it did indeed sidetrack things).

You didn't see the posts I deleted, so don't start. My post wasn't directed to you at all, but to the guy who went on a tirade about global warming, people believing bull****, people needing to be told "the truth" and some other nonsense (twice).

If you can point out exactly how his very political tirade about global warming has a place in a thread about a honda downhill bike when we have a perfectly good political forum, i'll gladly bring them back for you.

Until then, get used to it. :)

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sorry? As I recall I didn't bring it up, Ian did. (His post is still there, as it wasn't meant to induce the conversation it started. Mine isn;t as it did indeed sidetrack things).

You didn't see the posts I deleted, so don't start. My post wasn't directed to you at all, but to the guy who went on a tirade about global warming, people believing bull****, people needing to be told "the truth" and some other nonsense (twice).

If you can point out exactly how his very political tirade about global warming has a place in a thread about a honda downhill bike when we have a perfectly good political forum, i'll gladly bring them back for you.

Until then, get used to it. :)

which ian are you talking about.....you deleted MY post that was simply correcting you about the fact that farm vehicles don't cause pollution, and i mentioned as a sidenote that i thought that you were ignorant for saying so.......if you make a comment like that you should be ready for someone to correct you....again, i didn't start anything political i simply tried help you understand what actually causes smog in cities(commuters, not tractors)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
which ian are you talking about.....you deleted MY post that was simply correcting you about the fact that farm vehicles don't cause pollution, and i mentioned as a sidenote that i thought that you were ignorant for saying so.......if you make a comment like that you should be ready for someone to correct you....again, i didn't start anything political i simply tried help you understand what actually causes smog in cities(commuters, not tractors)
IanJenn, not you. I deleted all the posts that didnt have to do with the RN01 once the other dude got started. It wasn't anything against your comment etc, it was to keep mr "YOU MUST KNOW THE TRUTH!" from starting up again. Sorry for the confusion.

Ps: I know exactly what causes smog in cities. Combines don't cruise the city streets, clearly. Gross exhaust is gross exhaust though, and that was sort of the point. Cleaning them up isn't a bad thing for my lungs or yours. :)

norcalbiker

Chimp
Jul 15, 2007
Alright so im gessing we wont be able to test ride the RN01 when it comes out. Thats a lot of money to throw down on something that you might not even like on a real trail. Dont get me wrong, the technology is great, but maybe it wont fit your riding style?

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
IanJenn, not you. I deleted all the posts that didnt have to do with the RN01 once the other dude got started. It wasn't anything against your comment etc, it was to keep mr "YOU MUST KNOW THE TRUTH!" from starting up again. Sorry for the confusion.

Ps: I know exactly what causes smog in cities. Combines don't cruise the city streets, clearly. Gross exhaust is gross exhaust though, and that was sort of the point. Cleaning them up isn't a bad thing for my lungs or yours. :)

agreed on the smog thing.....can you just ban the other ian....i'm supposed to be the only one.....kidding

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
So back to the RN, I don't know why this was any different in my mind, the big H has let me down so many times in the past that I don't know why I would think this time something would have changed.

I think I will just order a 303.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
why doesn't somebody rapidly build a knockoff? the suspension design isn't patented, the gearbox is just a dick-in-a-box, and most people wouldn't opt for the forks anyways. I mean, I really, really dig the psuedo hyrdoformed semi monocoque design of the frame, but a good aluminum knockoff wouldn't be such a bad thing.

I apologize if you frown on ripoff and duplication...but if honda is just going to drag its feet and never release it, why not pull a khs and copy the design?

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
why doesn't somebody rapidly build a knockoff? the suspension design isn't patented, the gearbox is just a dick-in-a-box, and most people wouldn't opt for the forks anyways. I mean, I really, really dig the psuedo hyrdoformed semi monocoque design of the frame, but a good aluminum knockoff wouldn't be such a bad thing.
Now that you mention it...what is so special about that bike?

I'm not super-obsessed with it (so don't go off the handle if i'm wrong), but it seems to be a high single-pivot with derailer-in-a-box tranny. It doesn't even look that cool, it just happens to look a lot like a dirtbike frame. Theres no way on earth all that **** in the tranny+casing weighs less than a traditional setup. And as mentioned above, no one is going to want the fork anyway.

I think a steel single pivot with the same geo and a Rohloff hub could get it done for 1/10th the price, and probably less weight.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, because then this thing won't seem so stupid to me.

norcalbiker

Chimp
Jul 15, 2007
i think your wrong on the fork. Most people would opt for the SHOWA. They make quality moto forks, and when you're blowing that cash, you get the whole package.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i think the thing that originally drew people to the bike was the completeness of the package...a fancy gearbox, SHOWA suspension F/R, brembo brakes, all in a low slung, chromed out, well put together package....also under a very good rider...

but then it turned into "i already have a good fork and brakes..." and it's possible that honda realized that most bikes sold in the DH market are not completes, but rather freams and parts.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
:/ would be at least to know how it rides and to confront it with the hype. Now we will probably get even more hype. Btw. if they are not going to sell it why sponsor anyone? Advertising motocycles threw dh isn't the smartes idea...

Hopefully they won't cancel the sponsorship cuz then the bike becomes a legend like most dead things that people hyped about

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
what would be really funny if they sell the bikes and you come to realizes theres nothing special about them and they just have a derailor in a box.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
i think the thing that originally drew people to the bike was the completeness of the package...a fancy gearbox, SHOWA suspension F/R, brembo brakes, all in a low slung, chromed out, well put together package....also under a very good rider...

but then it turned into "i already have a good fork and brakes..." and it's possible that Honda realized that most bikes sold in the DH market are not completes, but rather freams and parts.
It shouldn't be that much of hurdle for Honda to sell a frame only (frame, shock, rear hub) I would have thought. Are the Showa forks really that much better than what else is available? I doubt it. Marz have been making quality off road forks for decades.

Anyone remember that photo of Matti in DIRT #?? (the one with BrenDog on the cover) where he has popped off that little lip.....the wheel is twisted big-time.

As for QC outside Japan.......BS!! By that mind set you couldn't by a Honda Civic outside Japan.

My guess is that they wouldn't make enough money to justify it.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
With a showa technician included, that bike would be a killer!
But, without? Nah...