Quantcast

Honda bike price tag!!

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
What? , Where , When, how much? TELL ME please, don't hold out on us, whada ya know, I NEED ONE BAAAAAAAD. I will sell my first born, throw people under the bus, whatever it takes. second mortgage , left nut , whatever. Ok 9-11 grand is to much, I'll wait.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Transcend said:
Honda isn't retarded. They will not release a $9000 pedal bike.
I'd agree except that is what Honda's sales reps are quoting at shops. They're trying for 13K then they drop down to around 9-11K, but thats it.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I ride my crf250R till my arms fall off, in the desert on a track, whatever. All I have put in it was oil and filters and gas. My DH bike has maybe 25 runs on it, bent rims, snapped swingarm, brakes rub, cranks are bent and the suspension needs to be redone.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yeah - 9 to 11k for a bicycle is just plain stupid... whoever said that to you at your shop is smokin' the crack rock.

For 11 large, I'll take a pre-owned 2001 Lexus IS300...

...it's got a better engine in it than the RN01 anyway.

Oh yeah, I forgot - it's a bicycle... it dosen't HAVE an engine.

:blah:

tacobelldhr

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
lake forest
are you guys on CR**K they are not going to sell anything i dont care what your friends say ..... and plus they wouldnt be only 9-11k sorrrrrry and if they were that much everyone would have them....a brand new super sick dh bike is arround 5-7 k so why not wait another paycheck...think people thinkl

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
tacobelldhr said:
are you guys on CR**K they are not going to sell anything i dont care what your friends say ..... and plus they wouldnt be only 9-11k sorrrrrry and if they were that much everyone would have them....a brand new super sick dh bike is arround 5-7 k so why not wait another paycheck...think people thinkl
Like, oh my gawd, that totally made so much sense! :rolleyes:

go back to pinkbike

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
So let's say it's 10 grand

Now, I'll buy a M3 and a dorado fork, for about 4500.
I'd then hire a renowed suspension engineer (Flooks, Bossard...) for a weekend or 2 : give or take 1500
that's 6k and my suspension would work heaps better.
ah, end the internals: bogus. Ik can put a carbon fender over my gears for 50

So you'd be a fool to buy it

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
arn't the consumer frames made in taiwan?
so they WOULD be loads cheaper.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
ncrider said:
:stupid: well said LukeD
well to me the price point...if it is in fact true ( i find it hard to believe that it is) doesnt make much sense. i dont care how much of a limited production they r...that is kind of ridiculous. but then again it's probably not true, and even if it is, they r honda and they most likely know what they r doing. :rolleyes:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
LukeD said:
well to me the price point...if it is in fact true ( i find it hard to believe that it is) doesnt make much sense. i dont care how much of a limited production they r...that is kind of ridiculous. but then again it's probably not true, and even if it is, they r honda and they most likely know what they r doing. :rolleyes:

The funny part is that this guy is so far off it is absurd. Not only will it not be limited production, it will probably be larger production then any DH frame has ever seen.

The price will be extremely reasonable for a DH bike..I'm willing to even bet low compared to a top end custom built job (M3/223/turner etc)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
This might be a totally stupid question, but who is going to distribute these things? Will bike shops be able to register as Honda dealers (obviously the logical thing)? Will moto dealers be able to distribute these? :confused:

anyone...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I heard from a guy who heard from a bum, who was digging candy wrappers out of the dumpster at an LBS, who overheard a conversation between two guys saying that the Honda bike was going to come in two models. One will have a gear box in an oil bath, and one will have a team of pigmy monkeys in a peanut butter and jelly bath.

The gear box version will sell for $10k, and the pigmy monkey version will be selling for a paltry $4k due to the low costs of pigmy monkey slave labor these days.

He was serious, too.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
binary visions said:
I heard from a guy who heard from a bum, who was digging candy wrappers out of the dumpster at an LBS, who overheard a conversation between two guys saying that the Honda bike was going to come in two models. One will have a gear box in an oil bath, and one will have a team of pigmy monkeys in a peanut butter and jelly bath.

The gear box version will sell for $10k, and the pigmy monkey version will be selling for a paltry $4k due to the low costs of pigmy monkey slave labor these days.

He was serious, too.
Are they poo flingin' pigmy monkeys?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
binary visions said:

He was serious, too.

holy christ that is one of the funniest things i have ever heard EVER on this board, and im not kidding :thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Can we get the moderator to blend every other post in this thread combined with every other post in the Michelin 2.8 thread...they'd both combine to make as much sense as they do now....ZERO!!! :D:D:D

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Transcend said:
The funny part is that this guy is so far off it is absurd. Not only will it not be limited production, it will probably be larger production then any DH frame has ever seen.

The price will be extremely reasonable for a DH bike..I'm willing to even bet low compared to a top end custom built job (M3/223/turner etc)

Well we can certainly see Fraser has been kissing Martins ass all weekend in MSA...Do you have one coming for free or something?

Do not believe everything you always hear dude-the bike will no where near be the largest 'production ever' and it will not be cheap. It will not be 9g, but it wont be cheap.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
stiksandstones said:
Well we can certainly see Fraser has been kissing Martins ass all weekend in MSA...Do you have one coming for free or something?

Do not believe everything you always hear dude-the bike will no where near be the largest 'production ever' and it will not be cheap. It will not be 9g, but it wont be cheap.
nope.

What I'm sayin is that it won't be ridiculously priced, and it definetly won't be hand built. Honda has a habit of doing things to get things reasonably prices (in their other divisions). Doing 200 or 500 Dh frames (max) like every other manufacturer won't exactly help them get the price down. I am positive they will produce them in a lrge neough quantitiy to keep price down.

They already have a global dealer network for motos...I can't really see them blowing that off.

Also, last time i talked to martin, he knew nothing about production. All that info I had came from the Japanese dude at Honda JP.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
binary visions said:
Is there any other kind?
Sweet. Did you source say where you can get them? I heard it was WalMart and Burger King. If you get it from Burger King, the king is your wrench for the first year for free. Actually, I also heard it was stik in that creepy mask but hey you get what you pay for.

Jeremy R said:
No doubt. Putting poo-flinging in front of monkey is redundant.
It is like saying meat-eating lion. ;)
Go back to continuing the lies that the old 2.8 is same as a new2.8. We know you are part of the conspiracy. Corporate shill.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Yeah the price is crazy and I don't blame anybody for being sceptical. Hell, I find it hard to believe myself. But, I'm just relaying info that I was told from two friends who work at different socal bike shops. I really don't see how they would benefit from telling a bull**** story. Still seems hard to rationalize that much cash for a pedal bike.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
DRB said:
If you get it from Burger King, the king is your wrench for the first year for free.
That's correct.

The new marketing campaign is a continuation of the, "Wake Up With The King" marketing slogan, and will be "Go Down With The King." ;)

The new slogan was adopted over the other suggestions of, "Watch The King Play With His Greasy Tool" or "Let The King Stick His Tool In Your Oil-Bathed Box."

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Transcend said:
nope.

What I'm sayin is that it won't be ridiculously priced, and it definetly won't be hand built. Honda has a habit of doing things to get things reasonably prices (in their other divisions). Doing 200 or 500 Dh frames (max) like every other manufacturer won't exactly help them get the price down. I am positive they will produce them in a lrge neough quantitiy to keep price down.

They already have a global dealer network for motos...I can't really see them blowing that off.

Also, last time i talked to martin, he knew nothing about production. All that info I had came from the Japanese dude at Honda JP.
Reasonable prices??? What is the last Honda moto you bought? or Honda Generator?
I have bought both many times and their motos and generators are overpriced-but I buy them because I 'think' they are better. Would I get the same enjoyment out of a Yamaha or Suzuki? yes...a briggs and stratton generator? yes. Reasonable prices, hardly.

The moto dealers will not touch this bicycle, not a f-ing chance. Moto-hardly any maintence required...DH bike, needs to be torn down every 5 runs.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
stiksandstones said:
..DH bike, needs to be torn down every 5 runs.
Oops, I'm about 500 runs behind schedule I guess. Then again, I don't need to justify a paycheck by tearing down a fresh bike after 15 minutes of use.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
stiksandstones said:
Reasonable prices??? What is the last Honda moto you bought? or Honda Generator?
I have bought both many times and their motos and generators are overpriced-but I buy them because I 'think' they are better. Would I get the same enjoyment out of a Yamaha or Suzuki? yes...a briggs and stratton generator? yes. Reasonable prices, hardly.

The moto dealers will not touch this bicycle, not a f-ing chance. Moto-hardly any maintence required...DH bike, needs to be torn down every 5 runs.

So you think they are going to try and get bicycle dealers to pick these things up, i dunno...They are so proprietary, that there is no way anyone is going to stock parts, or have the knowledge to fix it. I am assuming there would have to be training for mechs that would be working on it. I managed a shop while in high school/college, and i could never have seen us taking the plunge with something like this for such a small market, there would have to be some incentive from Honda.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
stiksandstones said:
I ride my crf250R till my arms fall off, in the desert on a track, whatever. All I have put in it was oil and filters and gas. My DH bike has maybe 25 runs on it, bent rims, snapped swingarm, brakes rub, cranks are bent and the suspension needs to be redone.
Did you DH bike fall out of the back of your truck or something? You must only weight 150 pounds. :)

Snapped DHI swingarms don't count toward your "bender score". And for god's sake, you used to be a paid mechanic. True the rims and fix the brakes. :)

I agree though, if I looked at $/hour of riding, my MX bike (YZ250F) is a bargain compared to any DH bike. That said, they are similar but different and both fun.