Quantcast

homeopathic medicine

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i know its not exactly about fitnes or nutrition but im wondering if any monkeys know anything about homeopathic medicine. all the info i find is too vague or way to in depth.(think medical encyclopedia) any info thats in between would be much apreciated.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
My mom nows the top homeopathisists in Australia she got rid of her cancer with it. My mom uses it alot on me to.
Basically it's natural stuff that works better than the stuff a doctor gives you and it's better for you.
Also the royal family uses it. so it's good.
I use it for alergies and it works better than any of the normal stuff Claritin, Sudafed ect.
If you want to know more i can ask my mom.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
I know just a little bit about homeopathic remedies for animals from working part time at the natural pet food and supply store. (the same remedies are used for humans)

I am in the process of learning alot, but the basic idea with homeopathics is this: like vaccinations... homeopathics actually contain the disease/illness or problem in the ingredients. They are supposed to work like vaccinations and not be given over and over again. Sometimes just one dose can cure the problem. I guess your body builds up some sort of immunity to the problem.

The homeopathic remedy for a dog with fleas or itching problems actually contains fleas and sometimes poison oak... weird I know but IT DOES work in most cases! Be careful to follow directions very carefully.. this is where people make mistakes.

This is just the little I know please feel free to add to this monkeys:)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Originally posted by JMAC
Also the royal family uses it. so it's good.
if the royal family takes it then it has to be good, right :D
just kidding.

thanks for the info. i went up to the health food store and looked at a book for a while and talked to the lady behind the counter. she pretty much said what you said JOJO

i've been taking this homeopathic cold formula for 3 days and im feeling a lot better. most people who have had this cold at school have had it for over a week. so im hoping that its the medicine and not just me getting better. i cant take stuff with ephedrine or pseudo ephedrine or anything like that in it. that stuff makes me super sick.

they have a homoepathic for nervousness and anxiety and im flying to texas this weekend and am very nervous about it so i think i will give that a try and let you know how it turns out.

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
i wouldn't try using homeopathic stuff for anything serious... just to be safe.

a friend of mine has this granola'd out new age hippie mom... well he starts manifesting signs of some kind of mental illness or disturbance. several of us-- his friends-- contacted his mom and told her he needed some help... she takes him to some homeopath who gives him tarantula venom and fills his (dangerously susceptible) head up with a load of BS about the "tarantula personality type" and a bunch of other crap. needless to say-- he only got worse. his mom just kept taking him back to the homeopathic guy. eventually my friend tried to kill himself and has spent a good bit of time in institutions over the last year or two. He gets out and runs out of meds and hippy-dippy mom won't take him to a regual doctor -- so he gets back on whatever homeopathic stuff they give him; and gets insane again. if he was younger, i would report her to someone....

this is an extreme case, i know... just don't believe everything you hear about stuff like this .. a lot of people make a lot of money, banking on being "natural" or whatever; appealing to people who want an alternative to the current medical establishment.

ATXjimATX

Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
oh, yeah--
ps. i am not necessarily anti-homeopathy or herbal stuff...
some of it works really well.....

for nervousness and anxiety check out tension tamer extra tea from celestial seasonings-- it'll mellow you out nicely
a couple cups before you hop on the plane and...... :)
and i have had good luck during cold and flu season with the good old vitamin c; echinacea; goldenseal and garlic combo....

are you nervous about flying? or nervous about coming to Texas (hehe)?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
nervous about both.:D

but seriously, i realize that its not a cure all and i am VERY, let me repeat, VERY skeptical when it comes to all natural stuff but that cold medicine kicked my colds ass. im feeling 100% now. i just wanted to give it a try because im sick of doctors prescibing medicine that makes me sick.

ive been downing the vitamin c and echinacea and goldenseal.

i love the tension tamer tea as well but if i drink a couple of cups before i get on the plane, then i would have to use the bathroom on the plane and that scares me more than flying.

ps sorry about your friend.:(

ATXjimATX

Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
gotta be careful with the bloody mary/valium combo one to many of either one and you might end up going to the bathroom on the plane without even knowing it. ;)

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
i am not patial to valium. its another chemical that makes me sick and it makes me smell bad, both i can do without.

-Laura

mdavid

Chimp
Aug 7, 2002
Simi Valley
I'm sure others will flame however I do not believe there are any respected (reproducible studies by professional medical phd's) scientific trails supporting the use of homeopathic remedies or medicines. The whole concept of taking doses at these levels and achieving any positive results seems flawed. Others will scream that all medical trials are only supported by the pharm. industry however that is really misinformation and sillyness. My personal belief is that any positive aspects can be explained via placebo effect....

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
Originally posted by JOJO

The homeopathic remedy for a dog with fleas or itching problems actually contains fleas and sometimes poison oak.
oh wow, what about the itching dogs? My dog has been on steroids and weird skin tablets for her itching, it cost a bloody fortune, and it still doesn't help her. she scratches away and i keep being told she has allergies and needs the steroids. Any homeopathic suggestions wouldbe great!