Quantcast

hill profile from yesterday's commute

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
found this on a local roadie site... shows the profile for the hill I rode yesterday on my commute to and from work. Riding to work takes me down the hill, which was when I hit my 49.3mph top speed. Riding home for work kills me. I actually ride further than the profile shows, but the grade lessens a bit... from rediculous to manageable.

I'm sure this is nothing for your racers, or for those of you who live out west, but it's a heck of a climb for us central NYers.

1.8 miles total
1.1 miles of hill averaging 10.5%
ends with a final insult at around 19%
another half mile or so to get to the top

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I'm surrounded by mountains!!!:D

I was born/raised in NJ and then spend a decade in FL, so I feel your pain as far as not having a multitude of options when it comes to finding tough climbs.

I wish I had an altimeter yesterday. I live in West Seattle and there's probably a solid dozen climbs to get back up top (where everything is). It's a little over 350' up starting from sea-level. You can spend the day just doing different loops since there's so many options. I found a couple new routes yesterday...one of them was a freaking wall for 3 blocks (actually had my front tire leave the ground a couple times when I pulled on the bars). The mile leading up to is was no cakewalk either.

On your graph, you need a dog to start chasing you when you hit 1,060ft. You'll be climbing like Roberto Heras on no time!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Serial Midget said:
Maybe. What cassette and rings are you running?
standard mtb gear... 22/34/44 in front, 11-34 in back. And let me just tell ya... I grannied that hill for about 30 minutes at a whomping 3.2mph.

beat that bitches! ;)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Serial Midget said:
Silence = triple. :true fact:
duh... I'd have to walk the bike everywhere with a double. Though a compact double might not be too bad. I'll probably run a compact double on my road bike if things work out.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
jacksonpt said:
standard mtb gear... 22/34/44 in front, 11-34 in back. And let me just tell ya... I grannied that hill for about 30 minutes at a whomping 3.2mph.

beat that bitches! ;)
Oh... I think I could. :oink: I run a 53/39 with a 11/22 in the rear - I simply dont have a choice and have mash it up.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
In my area the closest thing I ride regularly gains about 300 feet in a 1/4 mile - it is a logging road so I only ride that on my MTB. For road riding we have a 1/2 mile climb that gains the same 300 feet, at the steepest grade the rear tire loses traction so its pretty difficult to ride when it rains.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
jacksonpt said:
duh... I'd have to walk the bike everywhere with a double. Though a compact double might not be too bad. I'll probably run a compact double on my road bike if things work out.
I would definitely go compact-double long before I'd consider a triple. Unless you live somewhere that has a profile resembling an EKG or you are doing straight touring rides w/ heavy loads, a triple is overkill IMHO.

I still run a 53/39 with a 12-27. Since I don't race, I'm pondering a 50/36 in an effort to use some of the lower gears on my cassette.:blah: