Quantcast

Hey single pivot riders

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Do you get much chain slap on the swingarm of your bike? I know it's an issue for FSR style linkages, and I was just wondering if this happens at all on single pivots too. No real reason, just curious.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Well I had an Orange and a Kona but both of them had extended dropouts so the derailleur couldn't reach...so no slapping...also if you run SRAM shifting you don't have to worry about slap at all...I think it really depends on the bike design...D

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
My bullit gets a little bit of chain slap on the bottom of the chainstay, not enough to worry about. I also don't run a chain tensioner/guide so that probably contributes to it. Nice sig bye the way :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yes, pretty much exactly the same as an FSR type bike.

If you got a tube in the same general area as with an FSR bike, you are going to get chain-slap there. If it's like the orange above with an elevated swingarm due to a higher pivot or whatever, it's not really going to happen as much. Mine is a low-pivot-single-pivot bike, it's a solid rear triangle, but the tubes are in about the same place as with an FSR.

I have a white frame. I wrapped white roadie-tape around the chainstay. To prevent me from ever catching my foot on my rear brake line again, I wrapped the same tape around the seatstay on the other side where the line runs.

b-man

Chimp
May 25, 2002
ct
Yup, I have a bullit and I get a ton. I might switch over to SRAM if my derrailleur/shifter ever breaks, but I doubt it. I just put on an old tube (cheap and cheesy, I know) and zip tied her on. Added some duct tape just to make sure :D. Didn't have a problem on my old prowler (extended dropouts) but the chainslap on the bullit is definately present and annoying.

B

bigkonarider

i wrapped the chainstay w/ rubber & also use a ROACH chainstay guard..
I don't hear it !.. :nope:

Softy

Monkey
Apr 22, 2003
Don't call it a come back
The deraileur return spring has a lot to do with it. My SRAM X9 is limper than a XT or XTR. Way slappier chain with the X9 . Lizardskin and a Heim 3-guide fixed it good.

imo pivot type makes no difference.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Pretty much every bike will get some chain slap, so run a chainstay protector and you're good. Or get a chain retenton system that will keep the chain tight.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
My kona used to slap like mad (chain and der.), but I put on an e13 guide, put a rubber pad on my derailler so it doesn't make noise when it hits my swingarm and put a lizard skin pad and black tape on my chainstay. Now it only slaps a little bit but I can still notice it.