Quantcast

hey oregoners!

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
so my contract job is almost over, and i'm about to graduate college so the time to make the big move is almost here. i've always wanted to live in the pnw and i spent a couple months there a couple years ago and really liked it. i've looked around online and in my line of work i've found some jobs starting out in the 25-35 per hour range. so my question is, whats the cost of living like there. the one job i'm really interested in, is in portland. i know the cost of living in the medford area is pretty high. what is rent like on townhouses or even small houses. i'm sure i'm spoiled by the rent i pay now (800 a month on a 3 bed room 2.5 bath two car garage with a huge back yard house).

thanks for the help and if have anymore questions i'll put them on here later.

john

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Portland is probably the least expensive West Coast city to live in. Medford isn't expensive - not sure what gave you that idea.

Oh - we like to call ourselves Oregonians.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
Portland is probably the least expensive West Coast city to live in. Medford isn't expensive - not sure what gave you that idea.

Oh - we like to call ourselves Oregonians.
my bad i'll get it right next time. and the medford thing, i just happened to read that on some site recently while i was throwing the idea around

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
my bad i'll get it right next time. and the medford thing, i just happened to read that on some site recently while i was throwing the idea around
I think that compared to other Oregon towns that might be considered "rural" - Medford is comparatively expensive. But compared to places that really are expensive - LA, San Fran, Portland etc - it's not really.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
If you're making 25-35 an hour you will do just fine in the Portland area.

I wouldn't live in the city though, there are plenty of suburbs within 15-30 minutes of the city that are really nice towns to live in. I'm in Vancouver, right across the river to the north and I love it up here. Beaverton is also nice, Hillsboro is a bit further but also nice, Gresham is to the east and has some nicer areas, Tualatin, West Linn, Camas.... the list goes on. I love the Portland metro area and have no plans to leave.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
If you're making 25-35 an hour you will do just fine in the Portland area.

I wouldn't live in the city though, there are plenty of suburbs within 15-30 minutes of the city that are really nice towns to live in. I'm in Vancouver, right across the river to the north and I love it up here. Beaverton is also nice, Hillsboro is a bit further but also nice, Gresham is to the east and has some nicer areas, Tualatin, West Linn, Camas.... the list goes on. I love the Portland metro area and have no plans to leave.
cool, what are the sections to avoid living in, in portland...and what sections would suggestions are cheap but not ghetto

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
avoid north portland, anywhere within walking distance of lombard, and gresham. There are some good places in the northwest district of downtown out by 23rd as well (might want to jump on google maps to see where these places all are). If you can find something on the west side of lombard out by the university that is a pretty cool neighborhood, St. John's is also up and coming.