Quantcast

hey has anybody tried to drill out their bash gaurds

intensem1

Monkey
Oct 15, 2006
i want to shave some pounds,so i thought that i could drill out my e thirteen bash gaurd,any pics or info on if it worked or didnt work would be great

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
try a diet instead...
or even just skipping a meal...
that will save you about as much weight...

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
4 years ago i drilled and grinded the crap out of an e13 backplate and took off a ton of weight, cant remeber the exact amount but it was substantial. i also drilled a bunch of holes in the bashguard (about chainring bolt size) and that was a huge weight loss. e13 does not suggest this at all. i still run the backplate on one bike and the bashguard is still running strong on my buddies bike (we both are smooth riders though)

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I used to run an MRP System 3 on my Demo 8, and I removed about an 1" of material from the inner circumference between the chainring bolts using a water-jet.

Definitely saved some weight, but not so much that it compromised the integrity of the bash ring.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
I made my own bash in industrial-tech last year. When I put it on my bike it weighed in around 2.5lbs. I took a drill and drilled it out anywhere I thought I could survive drilling it. I will try to find some pics.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
i'd like to drill whistles into my bashguard that change pitch according to velocity. That way, as long as the calibration holds, anyone could tell how fast you're moving.

noskcaj

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
Northford, CT
I used to drill a LOT of things when I raced XC. I found that shifter pod clamps are way over built and of course front deriallers/chainguides/bash guards. Also, seat post clamps can be drilled and brake lever clamps if you are careful. I have yet to break a drilled part, but I weigh 150 and ride fairly smooth. I'd give it a go, good luck!