Quantcast

hey.. diamondback frames any good?

tribaltalon

Chimp
Jun 23, 2004
i'm thinking about building up my diamondback outlook for use as an urban assault toy, putting a sherman flick fork on it and some disc brakes, and upgrading the rear deraileur. my question is, what is the biggest fork that i can put on the frame? i already know the headset is a 1 1/8. its a 2003 model btw. let me know what you guys think. its not gonna be a huge downhill toy as i live in houston, texas. no mountains. haha.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
You're joking right?

If you're serious you won't respond with anything that isn't in agreement unless you want the flame war to begin...

A low end bike will cost much more to "upgrade" than what it would cost to buy a completely new bike with a superior frame and component spec. For example you want to get a sherman flick, disc brakes and a new deraileur (sic) that'll set you back a minimum $700, as soon as you start riding urban to the capabilities of the fork and brakes you'll blow up your cheap no name wheelset, so add $250 minimum within a month of getting the other upgrades, next will be a bb spindle, crank arm or pedal spindle, add another $50-$100. You see before long you've spent close to $1000 on upgrades for a bike that only cost you $250 to begin with, yet for $1000 you could have gotten a P2 with a couple nice upgrades. If you search around there are some really nice semi-custom hardtails for sale used for less than that and you won't need to do any upgrades for a long time.

So the short answer is don't do it.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
What Kornphlake said...plus, for street riding, you don't necessarily want the "biggest" or longest-travel fork...you want something low, short-travel, and stiffly sprung-or rigid.

If you do try it, definitely upgrade the rear derailleur...by getting a singlespeed tensioner.

tribaltalon

Chimp
Jun 23, 2004
thanks for not ripping me to pieces and actually talking about it. i'm just starting to get into it so i mean, i dont know much about it. I'm 6'1, 170 lbs. *shrugs* i am not scared of big jumps, thats what i'd like to do, but i want to stay hardtail as i dont have the big bucks to spend on a fully. I dont want to spend more then 1,000 on the bike total, as there's not really anything awesome to ride around here in texas. oh well. i just hope it'll be cheaper then skydiving. i've spent about 15,000 doing that. *eeek*

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
MikeD said:
$850 plus your chosen frame and fork combo, that is. $850 is only for the parts kit.

Soul Cycles seems to be the cheapest hardtail mfr these days...dunno squat about them, though.

well crap, you're right. I coulda sworn it was for the whole thing... I must be retarded or something.