Quantcast

Help!!!!

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
Yo.....

Well, my boxxer race is slowly starting to die...

3 of the 4 bolts that grip the 20mm axle are stripped...well, its the lowers that are stripped(mostly because the lowers are aluminum and the bolts are steel..So I guess it had this coming... :confused: )

Now my question would be....should I helicoil the threads? Or is it fine the way it is? I had thought that since all the force exerted upon the dropouts would be upwards, and since the bolts are located under the axle, that It would hold just fine and there would be no problem with just letting it be...Or am I going to have to cut my losses and get a new fork/lowers ;) ??

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Axle

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
next time, don't overtorque the bolts to the point of stripping

that will "help".

you can helicoil, put longer bolts with nuts in there, tap for larger bolts, or get new lowers

Ice Bullit

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Seattle, WA
Ya go for the larger bolts and make sure that they are greased as well as dont over tighten them. Just make them tight enough as to where you just start feeling them tightening rather than going that little extra. But I am sure you would know the point since you have stripped 3 already, just be more careful this time around because there won't be a next time with out it costing you way more.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
axlvid23 said:
Yo.....

Well, my boxxer race is slowly starting to die...

3 of the 4 bolts that grip the 20mm axle are stripped...well, its the lowers that are stripped(mostly because the lowers are aluminum and the bolts are steel..So I guess it had this coming... :confused: )

Now my question would be....should I helicoil the threads? Or is it fine the way it is? I had thought that since all the force exerted upon the dropouts would be upwards, and since the bolts are located under the axle, that It would hold just fine and there would be no problem with just letting it be...Or am I going to have to cut my losses and get a new fork/lowers ;) ??

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Axle
Alex, I think you should buy a new fork, lol. ;) Like others have said you could jsut helicoil it, but it seems like this would be an excuse for you to get something better like a higher end boxxer, slider+ or a 888. Are you going to Crested Butte? Im not sure if Im gonna be able to go.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Helicoil. They will be less likely to strip again, unlike larger bolts.
Your not the first person to strip out these on a boxxer. 5mm bolts are just too small.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
mtnbkr4235 said:
Alex, I think you should buy a new fork, lol. ;) Like others have said you could jsut helicoil it, but it seems like this would be an excuse for you to get something better like a higher end boxxer, slider+ or a 888. Are you going to Crested Butte? Im not sure if Im gonna be able to go.

Yeah, I want a dorado....but you see I have no money...

And yes, I'll be in crested butte, How's the new ride?

Thanks to all for the suggestions

johnbrittain

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Amarillo, Texas
alex, I have one bolt on my boxxer stripped, and from expierence i wouldnt try riding on it too much with only 1 bolt fastened, i almost lost a cap on my axle that way, just go ahead and buy my boxxer form me, i just rebuilt it after angel fire.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
axlvid23 said:
Yeah, I want a dorado....but you see I have no money...

And yes, I'll be in crested butte, How's the new ride?

Thanks to all for the suggestions
Its sweet! I love this bike. And its 10lbs lighter than my bighit, lol. Looks like I wont make it up to Crested Butte, but I'll probably go to BlassTheMass.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
-The lowers are magnesium, not aluminum
-The bolts are 4mm, not 5mm
-A helicoil won't work too well b/c you'll have to drill out the seat for the bolt head to get the tap through

I would just either get new lowers, or fill the stripped holes with JB Weld and try to tap that.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
drill out and tap to 5mm, countersink the bolt seat, use 5mm bolts. Grease bolts before installing so you don't get cold welding, torque to like 10 in-lbs. If in doubt watch an episode of american choppers, they'll teach you the correct method of fixing anything with a die grinder.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Repack said:
-The lowers are magnesium, not aluminum
-The bolts are 4mm, not 5mm
-A helicoil won't work too well b/c you'll have to drill out the seat for the bolt head to get the tap through

I would just either get new lowers, or fill the stripped holes with JB Weld and try to tap that.

The bolts are 5mm x .8 thread and take a 4mm wrench.

Helicoils work just fine. I wouldn't recommend this for somebody who doesn't have lots of experience doing thread repairs but it does work very well.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
buildyourown said:
The bolts are 5mm x .8 thread and take a 4mm wrench.

Helicoils work just fine. I wouldn't recommend this for somebody who doesn't have lots of experience doing thread repairs but it does work very well.
My bad. My gf has a Boxxer, but I have not taken the bolts out all the way. At least not recently enough to remember that. Were the old Boxxer lowers 4mm? I haven't owned one in 4 years.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
flatulant_man said:
i've heard helicoiling works well, but i don't think you should take chances like that with your axles. just get a new fork
I think that a helicoil would be fine. The pinch bolts do not require much torque for them to do their job.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
If you want to give up on it that fast and buy a new one, I'll buy the old one for cheap.
I hate buying new stuff just for something like a stripped thread. You don't buy a new engine when a plug hole gets stripped. Helicoils forever. Remember, helicoils are actually stronger than the original.

Chimp
Jan 10, 2002
CA
Can someone explain what helicoil is exactly? I have the same problem with my Boxxer.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Because they are really expensive compared to just tapping a hole.
(cheaper than buying a new fork though)

A helicoil is a brand of helical insert. Looks like a stainless steel spring. Basically, you tap the hole oversize with a special STI tap and use a special insertion tool to drive the insert in. Then you snap of the driver tange and your threads are better than new. Now instead of having magnesium threads, you have stainless ones. You can buy complete metric kits at
www.mcmaster.com

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
5150 said:
Can someone explain what helicoil is exactly? I have the same problem with my Boxxer.
:stupid: What is this... anyone have a link? EDIT - Thanks 'buildyourown', you beat me to it...

I have the same issue with my boxxer... Bought M6x1 and a tap to match.

Works fine so far. :cool:

However I have a huge ding in the sidewall... so if anyone wants to dump off their boxxer lowers(even if stripped), just let me know :sneaky:

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
flatulant_man said:
i've heard helicoiling works well, but i don't think you should take chances like that with your axles. just get a new fork
Yea, I can't afford a new fork, and from my experience, Helicoils are stronger than normal threads..

oh, and as it turns out lowers are only like 50 bucks cheaper than a new fork...so I guess thats not an option.

Thanks again for suggestions

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
axlvid23 said:
oh, and as it turns out lowers are only like 50 bucks cheaper than a new fork...so I guess thats not an option.

I thought I remembered something like that, but didn't want to guess. Bumber. But doing a helicoil isn't too bad.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Just helicoil and forget it....its real easy and will stay strong for a long time.

Make SURE you get softer springs for your fork, I just learned I should be on one soft one medium so you'de better invest in two softs.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
axlvid23 said:
:eek: that is ridiculous!

Then I guess I can get all new internals and stachions for $50 :sneaky:

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
I had to helicoil all 4 over a period of a few months because I was retarded, but now I know and have not had one problem.