Quantcast

Help with rear Tire

shorty13

Chimp
Aug 21, 2008
Hello,
My rear tire is currently balder than my dad so I am looking for help in deciding what the best rear tire would be for me since I do not know much about a lot of different tires.
What I am looking for:
Something that has really good traction, allows me to make steep climbs like a billy goat and will never lose grip on the technical stuff (rocks and some roots). I value traction as number one priority, although I would hate to have a sloth-like wheel in the roll resistance department. I also would like something that lasts a while so I do not have to replace it every couple of months. I am 120lbs (yea really heavy weight here) but ride fairly aggressively on very technical x-country trails. I ride on rocks and mostly-hardpack conditions though loose stuff is not uncommon. I am not worried about mud because face it, not many tires shed it well anyway and I tend to avoid the stuff.
Any suggestions please?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Ummm, I'm not sure that you're going to get very specific recommendations without giving what width/weight you are looking for and without being a bit more realistic in your request. Basically, you said you want something that climbs awesome, descends awesome, always grips in varied conditions and doesn't wear out....don't we all?

shorty13

Chimp
Aug 21, 2008
Ummm, I'm not sure that you're going to get very specific recommendations without giving what width/weight you are looking for and without being a bit more realistic in your request. Basically, you said you want something that climbs awesome, descends awesome, always grips in varied conditions and doesn't wear out....don't we all?
Looking through my post I believe I stressed traction as the main thing i'm looking for, though do not want the slowest tire out there (still traction > roll resistance), Did NOT mention the word descend in my post, though again I am looking for traction and grip, but mostly in ascents and flats. For conditions I thought I clearly stated near-hardpack as the number one thing I face, littered with rocks and rock features. I merely mentioned that there are sometimes loose conditions, but not near as much. Never mentioned snow or sand and said idc about mud. Since it is a rear x-country tire I am looking for 2.1-2.3 (2.2 optimum but it is a weird size sometimes), and as always the lighter the tire the better as long as it holds up and doesn't wear down fast, which usually comes down to the material used and such.
Please if you are in a bad mood do not post. If you do at least read what i have said a bit. Still looking for opinions!

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
I use a Continental Survival Pro. 2.1" in the rear for xc rides and I really like it. It's light weight, durable, and rolls fast. I've had no problems with it in the traction department either; whether it be hard pack, rocks, roots, leaves, anything. I pair it with a Continental Vertical Pro. in the front too. I've been happy with the combination.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
It would help more if you gave your location.

I've been running IRC Trailbears and Freedomcrosses(2.25s). They have decent traction and good durability. We go from hardpack to dust covered hardpack with quite a bit of exposed limestone.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I read your post and I am not in a bad mood, I just thought it would be more helpful and you'd get more responses if you were more specific on some things- people run all sorts of things for XC tires.

In any case, I'm running a Michelin Dry2 2.15 on the back of my hardtail now and liking it a lot. It grips well on hardpack and dry conditions and isn't as bad is it might look on wet stuff. I even used it for an extremely weekend at the Kingdom Trails (lots of mud and wet roots) and it performed well. It rolls pretty quick and seems to be lasting pretty well. I like the extra volume (I think it's at least a true 2.15). From tires I've tried, this one seems to be the closest to what you're asking for.

The Michelin A/T 2.2 or 2.35 is also a good choice, though it doesn't roll as fast and doesn't last as well on hard terrain. I have the UST version of these on my FS XC bike and the 2.35 on the front of my hardtail. The latter might bet bigger than you're looking for, but it sure smooths out the trail nicely. Both tires are about average in weight and can be found for close to $30.

You might also want to check out some of the Continental offerings, specifically the Mountain King and Speed King- both of which come in a few casing options and widths. I haven't used them, but had good luck with a set of Conti UST Vertical Pro 2.3 (which is more like a wider 2.1).

dillon

Chimp
Aug 26, 2008
I read your post and I am not in a bad mood, I just thought it would be more helpful and you'd get more responses if you were more specific on some things- people run all sorts of things for XC tires.

In any case, I'm running a Michelin Dry2 2.15 on the back of my hardtail now and liking it a lot. It grips well on hardpack and dry conditions and isn't as bad is it might look on wet stuff. I even used it for an extremely weekend at the Kingdom Trails (lots of mud and wet roots) and it performed well. It rolls pretty quick and seems to be lasting pretty well. I like the extra volume (I think it's at least a true 2.15). From tires I've tried, this one seems to be the closest to what you're asking for.

The Michelin A/T 2.2 or 2.35 is also a good choice, though it doesn't roll as fast and doesn't last as well on hard terrain. I have the UST version of these on my FS XC bike and the 2.35 on the front of my hardtail. The latter might bet bigger than you're looking for, but it sure smooths out the trail nicely. Both tires are about average in weight and can be found for close to $30.

You might also want to check out some of the Continental offerings, specifically the Mountain King and Speed King- both of which come in a few casing options and widths. I haven't used them, but had good luck with a set of Conti UST Vertical Pro 2.3 (which is more like a wider 2.1).

thanks, great info!

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
panaracer fire xc pro---love em
I have those on my hardtail, and I ride on similair conditions...just more roots. the fires do work very well, but they do wear out pretty quick. I've ridden maybe 5 times on mine and the especially the side knobs are ripping off... but that is on ROUGH terrain. I am a little disappointed with mine. I am going to recommend WTB weirfolfs. they have lasted me a lot longer! hope that helps...

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I have a set of new mosquitos sitting in my garage, I haven't used them. I'm gonna try those after the michelins... they look rediculous though. : /
They are a good balancing between low rolling resistance and good traction. Let me know if you hate them, I may be interested in buying them off of you.

harveyg77

Chimp
Sep 20, 2008
Derby
Hi all,

Just signed up to the forum as I am after a set of winter tyres.

Running a Trek 8000 on the stock Bontrager Jones XR (front and rear differ lighty with tread design and size 2.25 Fr, 2.2 Rr). Really pleased with them on UK trails (Dalby Forest, etc.) (40psi) and long hard dry runs (60pi) such a Tissington Trail, scarborough to Whitby and back etc. But for winter I fear the low profile knobbles will not bite in deep.

Currently looking at a Panracer Dart for the front and Panracer smoke/Trailraker/Cinder for the rear. Thee would really just be a winter tyre, reverting back to the Bontragers for the rest of the time. But they seem narrow at 2.1, though do seem to be farely 'volumous'

Any constructive comments please?

Thanks,
Harvey

harveyg77

Chimp
Sep 20, 2008
Derby
Done it! Got myself a Panaracer Dart and Trailraker (both 2.1 and Kevlar bead) will tick them on oon and ee what they hold out like over the winter ;-)

H

Eddie Jones

Chimp
Jan 19, 2008
Alabama
I'm on my second rear Specialized Hardrock'r.
I slipped once in all the trail time I've put in, in the past 2 1/2 years with these tires and that was on large, wet rocks pedaling uphill.
If I were you I would get a Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35 front/Schwalbe Albert 2.25 rear. Best tires I have ever used bear the Schwalbe name. I however use a Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 front/Fat Albert 2.35 rear on a Titus Motolite. I would have suggested that particular combo, but since you wanted relatively light weight that was why I suggested the Fat Albert/Albert combo. Either way, you can't go wrong

lampy29

Chimp
Oct 16, 2008
Rochester
Michelin Dry2 XC is a good tire if you want something fast for hardpacked dirt, but you'll want something with more knob I'm guessing for the situations that you're describing.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Go with the Maxxis Crossmarks. You really can't go wrong with Maxxis tires. They rock. About the only way you could mess up with Maxxis is if you accidentally get a rear tire that is a soft downhill compound. It'll grip, but it'll wear out super fast and it won't want to roll.

I run a 2.4 Panaracer on the front of my bike (more like a 2.7), but i run a narrow back tire. I run about a 2.1 to 2.35 rear tire with little knobs. Most of this summer i ran a race slick on the back. I even ran a skatepark tire for a while. I like a rear tire that just rolls fast. I'm heavy, so i like less rolling resistance on the back tire since most of your weight is back there. You can get away with running a mild slick with sideknobs if you want "exciting" rides down. You really have to learn your braking threshhold though. Learning to keep traction with those tires while going up hill isn't too bad. You just have to be smoother. I ride lots of rocks, hard packed, and cocoa powder on my local trails. I think you can get used to whatever you want. Just takes a little bit of time. Going downhill on one of those can be tricky too. They tend to drift a little bit. I'm a downhiller that actually rides XC more than DH, so i like the drifty feel.

Eddie Jones

Chimp
Jan 19, 2008
Alabama
Schwalbe Fat Albert on the front/Albert on the rear. If you want great traction without a lot of rolling resistance, these are the ones I would go with. I know you only asked about the rear, but this is a hard to beat combo