Quantcast

Help with frame choice?

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
hey i want to buy a new frame, but don't have a ton of money. i'm looking at the ON ONE Gimp and the Planet X Bommer frames. i ride a mix of DJing, urban and trail riding. i'll be running a 03 Z1 up front and running 26" front and rear. i'm alittle worried that the head angle on these frames might be too steep for riding trails. anyone have experience on either of these frames? any opinions?

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
i trail ride my azonic DS-1 with a 3 inch travel phsylo on it.......i am not sure how the geometry of the azonic compares with any of those bikes...but i dont think it could be far off. i think you'd be fine for trailriding:)

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
I have a PX bommer with a sherman flick. It actually feels really good. Not too steep at all. I can keep up with the local DH guys at their trails on the PX. Its a good bike. Really durable and fun to ride. Youll like it.

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
really, i wouldn't buy anything without hor drops.... (i don;t think PX has them)

that because i ride SS....

so i'd get the gimp.

BUT...

if i were really to pick for you, i'd get neither. the gimp's stays are too long for me, and if you are worried about trail riding characteristics a dirt jumper is not the frame for you.

if you are looking in that price range, .243 is the way to go, fer sure. it's really the best all around frame for the money on this dear old planet. you can get either BMX BB/H. drops OR MTB BB/V. drops. you will have no problem running any fork, and the geometry is dialed. it's great for everything, and a beauty of a frame.

the BMX version comes with deraileur (sp?) friendly chaintugs, which can easily be run for ss speed as well.

if you want a lot of information on the frame, NSMB is the place to go. you can also check out the web site... search for .243racing

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
Well if you're going to consider a .243 racing then you might also want to look at Draco frames. Prolly the sweetest hardtail I've ridden and can do everything you're looking for.

As for trail worthyness you should be fine with a 5" fork, I ran a Azonic DS-1 with a 03 DJ1 and it felt fine on the trails.

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Ok, well i ended up getting a Woodman D frame. i have it set up ss on a Woodman ss bolt on hub laced to a Atomlab Trailpimp, 03 DJ2, Atomlab Trailpimp fr., Woodman 1.5 headset w/reducers, Woodman stem, Woodman headlock, Woodman seatpost, Shimano xt hydros, RF Northshore cranks w/ Evil bashguard, RF bars, Snafu seat and Easton pedals. Oh and hookworms, if you ride street and you don't ride hookworms you're missing out. i've been out on it a handful of times and it's awesome. i have the CS at 16".

protijy

Chimp
Oct 25, 2001
San Diego
check this out :)

Material:
Reynolds/True Temper Butted front triangle
4130 7/8ths chromo rear triangle

Features:
6.3lbs frame
14mm 1/4" drops
110mm BMX hub spacing
V-brake w/ 26"

Geometry:
Top tube 21.5"
head angle 69 Deg (with 100mm fork)
head tube 100mm
seat tube 13.5
BB 300mm
Chain stay 16.25"-16.5"

retail $650 frame only takin orders now.

http://www.geekhousebikes.com

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by Echo
What happened to being on a budget? :D That Woodman stuff ain't cheap! :eek:
Yeah I got a pretty good deal on all of it. I have since bought a DMR Rhythm. WOW. Hopefully I can post pics of both in the next few days.