Quantcast

Help with brakes

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I am currently running 2006 juicy 7s on 203 mm hope m4 floating rotors. Im looking for something with a little more power/less fade. Originally i was just going to add stainless lines, but figured that might not be enough, and thought about throwing a code caliper up front as well (but keep the juicy 7 lever/cylinder).

I then saw the new saints, stroker aces (which i think look the coolest and would match my bike, but dont know anything about), and am now considering code 5s and codes. phew!

anyways, what would you guys suggest, what would the best use of my money be? (if i buy a new set, i would then have a back up which would be nice, but so would a completely custom set up....)

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Not many replies today, most must be working too hard!

Okay for what its worth my wee opinion!

You could go with options one, Braided hoses imo do make a difference to fade feel/modulation etc /power maybe! wether its enough for you DHing I dunno!

Mix Code calipers with your J7 levers, another good option, if ya can get the calipers alone!

Code 5s imo would be sweet, Codes if you like to play with adjustments to dial in the feel, this can also be done by bleeding and setting up properly but depends on how far you want to go, and budget etc.

I find the Code rotors a little flimsy, but thats easy enough to sort and you already have Hope floating rotors, I couldn't stand the pinging on my Hope sets after some heat got in there but it might work for you!

New Saints look great the new group looks great all round, hard to tell how it will be in the flesh but Im sure theyve worked hard to improve it.

The new style Magura lever everyone is copying is interesting, Hayes Stoker doing its thing and Shimano have followed suit..

To me for DH and DJ I look at how a brake lever is going to handle impacts, and if ya don't crash then ya not DHing properly cause it will happen no matter how good you are! So for me thats important, I want to be able to get back up and have my brake still functional, my Saints [old style, and Codes] took that beating well last year, Saint rotors no probs, but I bent 2 Code rotors, I normaly run Braking or Saints but used a spare wheel with a mud tire, and jumped into a tree, the lever took the brunt scratched but not even bent, the rotor was mangled, how I got to the bottom of the hill, I dunno, but the noise and feel had me very worried off drops and through a nasty rock garden..

Anyways thats what I look for, then Power Modulation and feel and all that other good stuff, there's some very good sets out there now, personally Hayes don't do it for me, I think the lever design looks too flimsy for my taste's, I could be wrong but I have 2 sets of Magura Lousies theyre great brakes but I wouldn't DH race with them for that reason, not that Ive broken them on my AM bikes yet! Forumla have the Mega/ K24s / Bianco's /Ones if ya got the $$

The Saint I will have to see in the flesh to see how strudy they really are, XTs look okay need to have a better look at them too, they would also be a good budget option, considering they get good wraps for power etc..

Lastly braided hoses is also a good thing in DH if ya gonna keep ya set awhile, braided hoses are way stronger than standard I kinked and squashed 2 Shimano Saint hoses last year..

Food for thought.
Chur..