Quantcast

Help me with this GEARBOX survey

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Yes, I know, the subject has been done to death but:

Gearbox bikes - changing the future of bicycle design.

Is the era of the rear-derailleur almost over? With viable alternatives being developed by such companies as Honda, Nicolai, GT, Evil, Be-One and Hayes, one might hope so.

Please help me by taking a few minutes to fill out this survey on the subject of gearbox bikes. Just copy the body of this survey into a reply and fill it out. This is an assignment for a course I am taking called “Research Methods” and is credit towards my “Bachelor of Technology in Manufacturing” degree. I am also a CNC machinist and gearbox-bike nut. I am hoping to create a working prototype of a multi-speed gearbox for my final degree project, so your input could help shape the future of bicycle design.

1 ) How many rear derailleurs or derailleur hangers have you bent or broken in the past year?
[ ]

2) How many times has your chain skipped, miss-shifted, jammed or fallen off in the past year?
[ ]

3) How much extra would you be willing to spend to get a bike with a gearbox?
[ $ ]

4) How much extra weight would you be willing to add to your bike for a gearbox?
[ lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [ ]

The following questions deal with shifting gears:

6) Would you value the ability to shift under heavy pedalling load? [Y/N]

7) Would you find it acceptable if you had to stop pedalling to shift? [Y/N]

8) Would you value the ability to shift while standing still? [Y/N]

Please feel free to offer any other advice, opinions or comments:

Thank you so much for your time,
Stephen McMillan

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
1 ) How many rear derailleurs or derailleur hangers have you bent or broken in the past year?

2) How many times has your chain skipped, miss-shifted, jammed or fallen off in the past year?

3) How much extra would you be willing to spend to get a bike with a gearbox? depends on design

4) How much extra weight would you be willing to add to your bike for a gearbox?
2 lbs

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? depends on application: 9/DH and FR, 14/XC

6) Would you value the ability to shift under heavy pedalling load? Y

7) Would you find it acceptable if you had to stop pedalling to shift? N

8) Would you value the ability to shift while standing still? Y

Now all this being said....when I ownd a Nicolai Nucleon I never had any problems with the G-Boxx and I really liked the system. The ONLY reason I sold it was due to weight. If Karl came out with a G-boxx bike that could be reasonably built under 44lbs. I would be all over it. I know it's just a matter of time though...D

Nately27

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
EVRAC said:

[ 4 ]

[ 20 ]

[ $ 500 ]

[ 4 lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [ 8]

6) Would you value the ability to shift under heavy pedalling load? [Y]

7) Would you find it acceptable if you had to stop pedalling to shift? [N]

8) Would you value the ability to shift while standing still? [Y]

best of luck, derek

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i'll bite. this is usefull info for me too.
i had a guy call the other day wanting last years inedible,
not next year new cogbox. i told him i am no longer selling
it and the cog box will be 10x the bike. he still didn't want
one.

so, there are a few people that thing the der is still the best, :rolleyes:

[ 0 ]

[ 2 ]

[ $ 800 ]

[ 0 lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [ 4 with the same range as 9 ]

6) Would you value the ability to shift under heavy pedalling load? [Y essential]

8) Would you value the ability to shift while standing still? [Y essential]

good luck on coming up with the next best design.
you will find out it takes many protos to get what you want.
keep at it. start earlly and work fast.

No, Thank you so much for your time,

alex morgan

maker of the first gearbox dh bike and the best next years bike!

oo i am sooo excited

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
[ 4 derailleurs, no hangers ]

[ 1 ]

[$500]

[2lbs max]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [ 6 ]

6) Would you value the ability to shift under heavy pedalling load? [Yes]

7) Would you find it acceptable if you had to stop pedalling to shift? [absolutely not]

8) Would you value the ability to shift while standing still? [It'd be cool, but not a neccesity]

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
derailleurs: 7 hangers:3

lost count of skiping(rode a bad casette for a month). never realy jamed or fell off.

[ $500] for the right gearbox

[2lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [7, with the range of a 2x9]

RaID

Turbo Monkey
[ 2 ]

[ dont keep track but enough times]

[ $300 ]

[ 4 lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [ 8 ]

6) Would you value the ability to shift under heavy pedalling load? [Y/N]yes

7) Would you find it acceptable if you had to stop pedalling to shift? [Y/N]no

yes

the ratios should be relatively close unlike the nexus hubs

easy of maintenamce

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Wow, first time i've come across another uni that does something like my Manufacturing engineering and technology course!

anyway:

[ 0]

[ 8]

[ $400 ]

[0 lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [27xc, 8 dh ]

6) Would you value the ability to shift under heavy pedalling load? [Y/N] Y

7) Would you find it acceptable if you had to stop pedalling to shift? [Y/N] N

8) Would you value the ability to shift while standing still? [Y/N] Y

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
[2]

[0 ]

[ $500 ]

[1 lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [10]

8) Would you value the ability to shift while standing still? [N]

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
[ 4]

[ 10]

[ $100 ]

[3 lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [18 ]

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
[2 ]

[ 10+]

[ 500$ ]

[ 3lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [ 9]

6) Would you value the ability to shift under heavy pedalling load? [Y/

8) Would you value the ability to shift while standing still? [Y/]

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
[5]

[ ~10]

[ 500$ ]

[ 1 lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [ 8 for DH]

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
[ 4]

[ too many to count---I would say well over 100]

[ $300 ]

[ 1-2lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [ 6]

7) Would you find it acceptable if you had to stop pedalling to shift? [Yes in some cases---wide open race start = No]

8) Would you value the ability to shift while standing still? [Yes]

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
[0]

[20+]

[$500]

[3-4lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [8]

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
[ 0]

[ 10+]

[ no more than 200 ]

[ 1lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [5 ]

Dusty Bottoms

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Santa Monica
EVRAC said:

Is the era of the rear-derailleur almost over? With viable alternatives being developed by such companies as Honda, Nicolai, GT, Evil, Be-One and Hayes, one might hope so.

Please help me by taking a few minutes to fill out this survey on the subject of gearbox bikes. Just copy the body of this survey into a reply and fill it out. This is an assignment for a course I am taking called “Research Methods” and is credit towards my “Bachelor of Technology in Manufacturing” degree. I am also a CNC machinist and gearbox-bike nut. I am hoping to create a working prototype of a multi-speed gearbox for my final degree project, so your input could help shape the future of bicycle design.

[ 2 ]

[ 10+ ]

[ $ 300 ]

[ 0 lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [ 12 ]

Stephen McMillan
I would not buy a gearbox if it came with grip shifters.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
[ 1 each ]

[ many miss or half shifts ]

[ $ $400-800 ]

[ 1 lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [ 7 for dh, wide ratio 7 for fr, and 12-14 for xc ]

8) Would you value the ability to shift while standing still? [would be nice, even if you had to pedal backwards]

rapid fire or sram trigger style shifter would be nice also, ie: not grip shift.

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
[ 0 ]

[ 2 ]

[ $300 ]

[ 2 lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [ 7 ]

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
[ 1 ]

[countless]

[ $no more than the cost of a decent shifting system]

[none/0lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [8]

6) Would you value the ability to shift under heavy pedalling load? [no]

7) Would you find it acceptable if you had to stop pedalling to shift? [sort of]

8) Would you value the ability to shift while standing still? [yes]

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
[2 derailleurs, 2 hangers]

[5+]

[$500]

[3lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [5 for a DH bike]

8) Would you value the ability to shift while standing still? [N- I really could care less]

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
EVRAC said:

[ 8 ]

[ 40 ]

[ $500 ]

[ 2 lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [ 7 ]

6) Would you value the ability to shift under heavy pedalling load?
[Y]

What about efficiency? isn't that one of the major setbacks of current sysyems?

Stephen McMillan

yes no problem thank you for caring!

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
[ 1 each ]

[ too many times to count ]

[ $200-400 ]

[ 2 lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [ at least a 7 in a road casset ratio ]

8) Would you value the ability to shift while standing still? [would be cool, but not a nessesity]

sk8kid33

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Colorado Springs
[ 6 hangers, 9 deraileurs ]

[ thousands]

[ $1000]

[ 3 lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [ depends for what, jumping: 1 for dh I would say 7, for xc I would go 14-15]

6) Would you value the ability to shift under heavy pedalling load? [Y/N] YES

7) Would you find it acceptable if you had to stop pedalling to shift? [Y/N]
yes and no. it would be great for coasting corners and rock gardens to shift, but I want to be able to pedal and shift, why else have it shift under load.

Yes

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
nmjb said:
Same here- grip shifters would be a deal-breaker for me.
depends on the shifter...the Rohloff system is cool that you can mount it on either side of the bar and swap the cables around. That way you can decide which way you want to twist to shift up or down.

I use to have mine on the front brake side and set it so I down shifted rotating towards my brake lever. That way i could down shift and brake at the same time...D

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
[ 0 ]

[ Once, when I didn't have my chainguide on during a test-fit. ]

[ $200 ]

[ 1 lb ]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike?
[ 7 ]

[ Y ]

7) Would you find it acceptable if you had to stop pedalling to shift?
[ N ]

8) Would you value the ability to shift while standing still?
[ Y ]

Get some advice and input from a professional Mechanical Engineer (not tech.).

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB

[ $500 ]

[2 lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [7 ]

6) Would you value the ability to shift under heavy pedalling load? [Y, very much so!]

7) Would you find it acceptable if you had to stop pedalling to shift? [N, def. not]

8) Would you value the ability to shift while standing still? [sort of, but not a priority.]

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
[ 3 ]

[ 300]

[ $ 1000 ]

[ 15 lbs]

5) Considering that some people ride single-speed, what is the minimum number of gears that you would find acceptable in a gearbox bike? [ 5 ]

[Y

8) Would you value the ability to shift while standing still? [Y/]