Quantcast

Help me with my wonky 888

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Noticed something odd today, while checking bolts...

My '07 888SLATA is not extending fully. I've lost about 20mm of travel.
The ATA is completely lengthened, should have 200mm of travel and 205mm of stantion between lower and crown. Now have 183mm.

Loosened crown bolts, and right compression/rebound stantion lengthens to proper height, while left airspring/ATA stantion will not lengthen.
Removed ATA topcap and checked it out. It's got full extension, and will go through all it's adjustment ok. I just now have a fork thats adjustable from 140-180mm instead of 160-200mm.

Everything feels good, and there are no weird noises going through the rest of the travel.
Rides fine, when it's working.
Bushings blew out fast, the ATA is automatic, and now this...:disgust1:

I know a few guys here have had these forks apart. Any ideas as to what's going on in the left leg that would steal travel or cause it to not lengthen?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
There have been 2 threads on this in the last week.......just page through a bit.

Is fixxable....

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Those threads are about the ATA fix, and Par removal. Both common, and neither of those is the cause of this, I'm thinking.

I get full ATA adjust, and this isn't an issue with bottoming.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Those threads are about the ATA fix, and Par removal. Both common, and neither of those is the cause of this, I'm thinking.

I get full ATA adjust, and this isn't an issue with bottoming.
You said you're losing travel, going from 200 to 183 or something like that.....i don't know for sure but that sounds like the "winding down" issue in the other threads......that's all i got....

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Very Very simple fix.

Steps
1. Unthread the top cap and compress fork.
2. Notice there is a threaded through hole on the circumferential face of the top cap (the threaded part of the cap). There are two allen head set screws in these threaded holes.

*Note* These allen heads act the same as an adjustable spring plunger set up against a detent. On the other side of them is a spring and then a loose ball bearing that presses against the travel adjust rod, which has detents on its face. If you spin the travel adjust, then every half turn you get a click because the spring forces these ball bearings into the detents which holds it in place. If there is not enough pre-load on the balls, then during a ride the travel adjust will "wind-down" and you'll loose travel. So...

3. Tighten the set screws somewhat so it becomes more difficult o spin the travel adjust or if you want to stay at 200mm initially adjust the fork to the 200mm setting before steps 1 and 2 and then tighten the set screws to the point where they bottom out the spring and ball bearing and you can no longer turn the travel adjust.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
This is not an ATA wind-down problem!

again:

I have loosened the crown bolts, and right compression/rebound stantion lengthens to proper height, while left airspring/ATA stantion will not lengthen. Similar effect as ATA problem, but not it. My problem is elsewhere.
I removed the ATA topcap and checked it out. It's got full extension, and will go through all it's adjustment ok. I just now have a fork thats adjustable from 140-180mm instead of 160-200mm.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
My guess is just a migrating air issue in the cartrage. IIRC there (there must be to make the fork work propperly) is a bleed port to let some positive air into a negative chamber. Somehow more air got into the negative chamber and is not equalizing properly, keeping the fork compressed.

The ATA is purely mechanical and external to the cartrage, that is why you still have the full adjustability.

Pull the cartrage apart, clean, check/replace seals, lube it up and all should be back to normal.