Quantcast

Help me understand shock rate.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
yes.. but we are still assuming that the nickel is using a non specific tune fox float.. not one that is specifically tuned.

I am illustrating that because you dont know how the shock is tuned - you cant assume how the shock rate will feel overall..
Yeah well, that's the info we've got, no point discussing something that can't be assumed. Just like FEM, just assume variables and try to solve the problem :thumb:

But yeah, at least I assumed the possibility of the linkage being that way to optimize shock traits (shaft velocities and their relationship to damping forces).

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
A few years ago this kind of leverage ratio could make sense, because propedal didn`t exist yet and the regressive part of the travel was like a "mechanical platform". But today you can custom tune the shock to have all the compresion damping that you want, so it's not needed. The air can volume can be tuned too, but Fox only let you play with the positive chamber. To improve the feeling of the shock they would have to play with the negative Chamber too and try to build an air shock that feels like a coil, and that is not easy.

I think that even if SC custom tune the shock, and pick the right air volume can... The performance of the bike is going to be worse than others bikes with a better leverage ratio.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
I think that it's smarter and hell cheaper to rely on LVR curve than to demand any kind of platform in rear shock or to play with its internals. Also, what is rider going to do with custom tuned shock when he decides he wants different one. Custom shock can hardly be sold (if ever) for any good money.