Quantcast

Help me understand dropper posts

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I got my first dropper post on my EVIL build and I'm having trouble understanding where to use it and if what I'm experiencing is normal.

The post is an Xfusion HiLo. I'm running it in reverse to give the post negative offset and bring the saddle forward into a more suitable climbing position. The position feels perfect.

The problem is the dropper motion is not very natural, and I find myself having to very consciously weight the saddle in order to bring it down, and then once it's down, I don't really get the point. I like having the saddle between my thighs to help steer the bike, and with it all the way down it's really tricky. Getting it to any useful midway point is kind of tricky.

Everybody says it's a necessary part and ZOMG you'll never ride without one again, but I find myself wishing I had saved the 400g and stuck with a thomson.

A) Will I get used to it as I ride with it?
B) Does my post maybe just not work as well as some of the others on the market?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
A) yes. Though I've had one for quite some time and I rarely use it while riding, I mean, like barely ever. It's a reverb so it is infinitely adjustable and like you it's hard to get it "midway" on the fly, though I like that it is infinitely adjustable. I had a fox prior that had 3 settings, I kind of liked that better while riding because finding the mid point was easy, but I still never really used it. I've been to plenty of riding locales where one would think a dropper was mandatory, but still never used it.

I just don't think that in my riding position that the seat ever really bothers me. In fact I've said it before, I run my seat higher than most on my DH bike too, so I don't really see the value for me.

I think a standard QR is just as versatile for recreational riders.

B) I don't know.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
A dropper is definitely key to enjoying rolling terrain that transitions between pedaling and descending frequently. If you have hills where you just ride to the top, drink a beer, and then get a continuous ride to the bottom it's kinda useless.

And I suspect you're doing it wrong

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
a.) I have one but I know I use it a lot less than a bunch of the people I ride with. I pretty much drop it only when it gets super steep or if I know I'll be jumping and want to minimize the chances of getting donkey-kicked in the nuts. I found that over time you get used to how to weight it just enough to move it down part way. So for me, by no means mandatory, but a nice thing to have every once in a while so you can adjust on the fly rather than stopping, putting a foot down, and using the lever.

b.) maybe?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'm with MMike. I use my dropper ALL the time. I love the infinite adjust (Reverb). I drop it all the way for descending, often a middle position of some sort for rolling, and up for climbs. Unless the climb has something very technical, when I will sometimes lower the seat.

That said - some people *really* aren't "dropper people" and it is just a useless piece of extra complexity. I know one guy who WANTS to like his dropper, but just doesn't. And he doesn't use it much.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
so wait, you don't use it but I'll get used to it?
Yes, exactly. I use it, but very very infrequently because I simply don't need to use it per my riding style. But the times that I do use it, it has become much more natural. I'll likely remove it before next season.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
That said - some people *really* aren't "dropper people" and it is just a useless piece of extra complexity. I know one guy who WANTS to like his dropper, but just doesn't. And he doesn't use it much.
I am this guy. I keep trying to like it, and need it, and want it, because it came with my bike (I would not have sprung for one separately). I think at the end of the day it just isn't necessary for all and I am one of those people.

If I raced enduro I think I would use it more, because I could climb, then before my stage lower it to an acceptable height for the timed section and then quickly pop it back up for any sustained pedaling sections. But as a rec rider I don't need it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I can't believe I'm writing this, but I agree with MMike and SkaredShtles.

I have Thomsons on both of my trail bikes, and use them all the time. I rarely have them anywhere but all the way up or all the way down, but swap between the two all over the place through rolling terrain.

And yeah, you'll definitely get used to it, and better at using it. Whether you like it at that point, :popcorn:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I run one just to keep the constant mouth breathers from coming up to me and asking me why I don't have a dropper post. It was like every ride.....having strangers tell me that once I accepted the dropper post as my lord and savior, I would gain everlasting stokage. And telling them that I am faster than them with my post at full height, spanking my starfish all the way down the trail was not socially acceptable to their dropper religion.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
If it's taking excessive pressure to weight/lower I'd blame the seat angle combined with running it in reverse.
That has to be causing things to bind or at least prematurely wear.
Probably also why the saddle feels so out of place when dropped as its moving way forward (compared to a bike with a steeper ST and normal saddle alignment; the KS on my nomad doesn't require much pressure to move nor did my previous reverb).

I love my dropper and use it constantly.
Being able to have proper extension when you need it and then immediately get the saddle out of the way is awesome.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I don't know that it's excessive. It's tough when I'm standing on the side, but when I'm riding it moves pretty effortlessly, I guess. And when it's down, it feels like any other bike I've had the saddle down on. It's just that I like having that third point of contact (aside from the pedals and bars) to help me steer.

I feel like it's mostly because I just don't know when to use it/drop it that I'm having a hard time justifying it. I probably just need to give it time. I also feel like the BAT lever on the HiLo takes a ton of force to get the magic going.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
What I recall from New England trails is lots of short ups and downs (and of course roxxxxx). Unless you just stand and power up the climbs, seems like a dropper would come in pretty handy.

Is your raised seat position just not that high, or do you have shorter legs or something?

I have pretty long legs and am a bit large for the size bikes I ride. I need a lot of seatpost to get proper leg extension. That results in pretty sketchy high-posting without a dropper.

I've been using a dropper for 10 years. While I can't say I hate riding without one (because biking), I consider it pretty much essential for most of the trail riding I do.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yes, lots of ups and downs. I have gotten used to just sitting in the saddle and spinning up climbs then standing and derping down the other side. I usually have full leg extension (any taller and I'd be bouncing in the saddle).

Sounds like I just need to give it some time. I think I need to just think about it in advance so I'm prepared for the section. Otherwise I find myself standing, wishing the post was lower, but not being able to lower it because I'm standing.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I run one just to keep the constant mouth breathers from coming up to me and asking me why I don't have a dropper post. It was like every ride.....having strangers tell me that once I accepted the dropper post as my lord and savior, I would gain everlasting stokage. And telling them that I am faster than them with my post at full height, spanking my starfish all the way down the trail was not socially acceptable to their dropper religion.
Teh power of the dropper post compels you!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I totally get what Sandwich is saying though. The hardest part to adapt to is being able to quickly lower the post just a couple inches when you need to quickly. I have done a lot of super d races and enduro races without a dropper. I would always lower my post an inch or two from full height for the race. This was good enough to get my saddle away from me when I needed but also high enough to power pedal through some sections. I got used to this and the ability to feel or know where my saddle is at all times. That is harder to do with a dropper. That said, there is no denying that they are convenient as hell on solo rides to never have to stop and put your saddle where you need it. I notice now that when I race with a dropper, I normally set it to one height and leave it there for the most part.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I totally get what Sandwich is saying though. The hardest part to adapt to is being able to quickly lower the post just a couple inches when you need to quickly. I have done a lot of super d races and enduro races without a dropper. I would always lower my post an inch or two from full height for the race. This was good enough to get my saddle away from me when I needed but also high enough to power pedal through some sections. I got used to this and the ability to feel or know where my saddle is at all times. That is harder to do with a dropper. That said, there is no denying that they are convenient as hell on solo rides to never have to stop and put your saddle where you need it. I notice now that when I race with a dropper, I normally set it to one height and leave it there for the most part.
pretty much on the nose.

If i had an electronic dropper (or whatever) that could take the saddle down to two inches below max height when I needed it, I don't think I'd ever complain. It's just that getting it from up in the air to dropped a suitable amount to still give steering input but also get out of the way is surprisingly challenging. I find myself going all the way down or not really enough to matter, but I think that's all in the taint training.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
pretty much on the nose.

If i had an electronic dropper (or whatever) that could take the saddle down to two inches below max height when I needed it, I don't think I'd ever complain. It's just that getting it from up in the air to dropped a suitable amount to still give steering input but also get out of the way is surprisingly challenging. I find myself going all the way down or not really enough to matter, but I think that's all in the taint training.
Yeah, you definitely will get better at lowering it half way.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yep, give it time or turn it around so its not all derpderp looking.

I use mine all the time. Mostly its either all the way up, lowered about an inch or all the way down. I use it like shifting, its almost a reflex action now, on the trails that I am familiar with.

I think I find it most useful when going over large logs. I almost always lower it when at speed going over logs so as not to get reemed in the ass by the seat.

I found that the KS LEV Integra that came on my Tracer took a long time to get used to.

I'd be in the middle of a downhill and thinking "should have lowered the seat", then "d'oh"...

It takes some time after you press the lever for the seat to rise, and it's harder to control the height when raising than lowering.

Having gotten used to its behavior, I like it. I don't pay much mind to exactly how high or low it is, I adjust until it's comfortable.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
pretty much on the nose.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/magura-vyron-wireless-electronic-dropper-seatpost-eurobike-2015.html

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
A) You'll get used to it. I am kinda surprised you're having difficulties given that you are a downhiller and ride without a saddle under your ass all the time.

IMHO, once you get used to it, only the two extreme positions make sense - full up and full down. Anything in between is for noobs who are afraid of dropping all the way down. :D

B) Are you sure you got the right air pressure in the air spring? You don't want your droppper to assplode! :monkey:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the dropper works great in terms of going up and down and stopping. It's just me activating it that's the problem, or rather getting it into an effective position when I want it to be there.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Get comfortable dropping the saddle 1-2" as well as all the way up and down.

That way you run the seat full up for long smooth climbing, a little lower technical but not steep, and the slammed mega rock gnar

I use my dropper almost as much as I shift or brake, but it took 1000mi or more to get fully dialed with it.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Running my old left XT shifter pod as the dropper control made it a lot more fun for me to use it. I have long legs and running with full extension make for a lot more comfortable ride.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
For every topic on a dropper seatpost I immediately raise my SDG saddle and post higher than it was. Dunno, cannot ride with my seat overly low or voice-crackingly high. I just don't see the immediate need for a $350 seatpost that gets rebuilt...?