Quantcast

help me convince my wife that i should get a crappy car

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
Okay, i need outside opinions on this to do a reality check.

I've got a 2002 explorer that the transmission just went on. had it rebuilt ($3k ouch). everything i've been reading online shows nothing but constant issues with these trucks after the trannys go. multiple rebuilds and failures. this is just embarrassing: http://www.carcomplaints.com/worst_vehicles.shtml

so i feel impending doom in the explorer. my thinking is that i'll sell it off and buy a cheap foreign car (subie, honda, toyota)

her main issue is 'what if the cheap car dies' or needs expensive repairs, we'll be right back where we are now.

in my opinion another expensive repair on the explorer will total it in my eyes. it already needs new tires ($1k). it's got a value of around $7k. i put $4k into it last year, another $4k into it this year. feels like a money pit.

what do you guys think?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
if you're looking to buy new but don't have the $$ for a toyota/honda/nissan...., get a NEW hyundai. Their quality is actually starting to improve. just stay away from the accent, but lose the exploder.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
It sounds like you already have a crappy car. Perhaps you should convince her that you need to buy a cheaper, quallity used car.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
since when are hondas, toyotas and subies crappy cars?
not at all, my use of the term 'crappy' is twofold. 1) makes a funny thread title. and 2) the other option is i inherit her shiny nice mazda 6 and she gets a minivan -- whole other conversation there

laura said:
It sounds like you already have a crappy car.
repped. :biggrin:

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
yep....my parents owned a '02 explorer and got rid of it for the same reason.....definitely ditch it!

just do some research into the used cars you're looking at before you buy them.....not research on that specific car, but rather that model and year in general....find out if they have any shining tendencies to blow up at certain times or mileages.....maybe lurk around some forums focusing on those cars......

just a thought.....

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Justy.

:thumb:

All wheel drive, three cylinder, exceedingly expensive to fix.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You can pick up a good used Impreza TS/RS Wagon with <50k miles for under $8,000. Regular fuel, awd, tons of space, and reliable as all hell.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
the minivan purchase would be enabled by selling off her mazda as a downpayment. doesn't really factor into my vehicle.
That doesn't make a lot of sense. How much will you get for the Mazda? Is her car running well? If so, selling BOTH of your vehicles and get two new vehicles that you don't know if they'll have issues?

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
That doesn't make a lot of sense. How much will you get for the Mazda? Is her car running well? If so, selling BOTH of your vehicles and get two new vehicles that you don't know if they'll have issues?
edmunds puts her car between $13-$15k. it's in excellent shape. even if we buy a used minivan for her, it will still be an 07 or 08 honda and will outlast cockroaches. not too concerned about that.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ford Ranger.

Cheap, reliable and MADE BY MAZDA.
I think you have it backwards. The Mazda pickup (B2200/4000) was built by Ford as a rebadged Ranger.

Narlus has it nailed: can't beat the Civic (or Tercel, or Corolla). Only problem is that finding an unmolested example can be tough.

Monkey
I think you have it backwards. The Mazda pickup (B2200/4000) was built by Ford as a rebadged Ranger.

Narlus has it nailed: can't beat the Civic (or Tercel, or Corolla). Only problem is that finding an unmolested example can be tough.
yep.

the old Mazda Navejo was just an Explorer. Still see one or two of those around in the junk yards around the state.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I say Honda all the way...their re-sale value can't be beat and they're the most energy conscious car company out there...D
In the 80's a friend's parents bought a Civic, it got close to 60 mpg.

What has happened to fuel efficient cars in this country?

Now car manufacturers try to convince us that 25 mpg is great.:crazy:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Old Toyota Pick-ups can be had for $2,500-$5,000 and they'll run forever.

My friend just got a great one (just needs paint) and the only issue he's had so far is the power-steering. Motor is super solid, and it has new brakes and suspension all around.

-Mike

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants

More strict smog requirements and more eco-friendly madness can create cleaner burning cars that get worse gas mileage.

-Mike

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Toyota Tercel is the un-dead of the motor vehicle world.

I got almost 12 years out of mine, and it still ran when I got rid of it.

I have an '83 that I bought in '90, that sucker is still running. OK,there's the mystery oil lead, that we can't seem to find, that is getting worse. My mechinic knows a pizza drivers that would give us $500 for it sight unseen.

But I really think you need one of these,

someone has already dinged my door, I am trying to be so careful dang it.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC

Well with all the new safety features and fancy electronics cars weigh a lot more. My '89 Civic CRX came in at just under 2200 lbs...I think an '08 Civic is pushing 3200 lbs!!!....D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004

Whatever. I may have that backwards. All I know is that it has way less issues than other Ford models and it's great on gas.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Well with all the new safety features and fancy electronics cars weigh a lot more. My '89 Civic CRX came in at just under 2200 lbs...I think an '08 Civic is pushing 3200 lbs!!!....D
no, no: the civic is still under 3k. a quick google shows 2600 to 2900ish with the Civic Hybrid the heaviest, of course.

The general point that safety and smog equipment has ballooned cars holds, however

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
I'm in a similar predicament. I'm selling my 01 Durango and buying something that's cheaper and bulletproof for simple straight shot driving. The compact foreign cars just seem like the way to go. A couple of my friends have been driving early 90's civics and tercells for the past few years with little complaint. Easy to maintain, and cheap to fill. Being in SoCal right now means the latter is really important to me. A V8 is ridiculous to drive if you don't actually need it.