Quantcast

Help Flagstaff, AZ get a DH park

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Ok guys, for all you who live in the southwest, or have visited the area, you know that Flagstaff, AZ has some of the best riding in the country complete with some excelent DH riding. We arealso blessed/ cursed to have a ski area 15 min from town that does NOT allow DH riding. There is currently a petition on-line to try and get DH operations at the Arizonasnowbowl. Help us out and sign this petition. Here is the link http://flagstaffbiking.org/
Thanks,
J.P.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Thanks for all the help guys. I think as of now we collected 144 signatures, and that was just today. Flag is a really unique place, big mountains, a ski area and sunny skies make this an ideal place for a bike park. The Arizona snowbowl is the oldest continually run ski area in the country, and it relies completely on natural snowfall. Snowmaking has been in the works for several years as well as a comprehensive upgrade proposal. Several Native American groups with the help of the Sierra Club have challenged the snowmaking process in the courts, but this battle is ending soon. Once the improvments are emplemented, bikes will hopefully follow. Change happens slowly, but the more support the better. Keep the faith and spread the good word.
J.P.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Hey my kid lives there with his mom, he rides XC there and races DH/fr here with me. Hes new to the fr/dh stuff but got 5' drops and ladder drops down pretty decent. He could use some guys to ride with aside of the XC group. He rides with the bike club/organization (Austen) up there. Ill sign and let me know, if so Ill send his bike to him to ride when hes there (most of the year).

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
This sounds similar to the battle I had with N.Y. State when they tried to close Whiteface for biking. We had over 2,000 signatures that did get their attention.

The only thing that worked was me approaching the state of N.Y. to operate the biking as a private business. Whiiteface did not and would not assume any financial risk with a bike park. Any optimistic entrepreneurs out there?

Whistler Bike Park was created by a private concessionaire and so is Whiteface. Time for Snowbowl to do the same maybe?

Just signed the petition.

Last edited:

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away
Hey guys,

There has been quite a bit going on in the last year, much thanks to Anthony of Absolute Bikes . Everyone is on board but there are still a couple hurdles that we have to jump.

Two weeks ago the Flagstaff Biking Organization (FBO) held a meeting with Snowbowl, National Forest Service reps, City and County reps, and lots and lots of riders. The net result of this meeting is that local land managers with the City, the County, the Forest Service and the Arizona Snowbowl are definitely interested in continuing the discussion with an eye towards trying to provide some outlets for the mountain bike gravity set.

Here, is a link to the FBO's website with an article regarding the meeting. In the article, there is a link to a video of the meeting, if you're keen on hearing what was discussed. And here is a link to the PDF of the Power Point presentation the FBO gave.

Thank you so much for any support you guys have gave so far and keep your fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I'm actually going to say that I'm against this.

I had a brother that went to school at NAU and although I can imagine that the natural riding there is great, he made me very aware of the disgust that the Native American people feel about this development since the mountain is an extremely sacred area for them.

I'm very much for access and development of bike parts, but knowing how the local natives feel about the situation, this is one situation that I would walk away from and where I feel preservation is the proper course of action.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
I'm actually going to say that I'm against this.

I had a brother that went to school at NAU and although I can imagine that the natural riding there is great, he made me very aware of the disgust that the Native American people feel about this development since the mountain is an extremely sacred area for them.

I'm very much for access and development of bike parts, but knowing how the local natives feel about the situation, this is one situation that I would walk away from and where I feel preservation is the proper course of action.
Im not touching that one. I live in Flag, love it here and ride 3= days a week. Our scene is great, but the DH scene is one that has been over looked for years. We need a place that can support DH riding and Snowbowl is the logical choice, And as far as sacred goes how do you explain the Grand Canyon Sky walk?

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away
im not touching that one. I live in flag, love it here and ride 3= days a week. Our scene is great, but the dh scene is one that has been over looked for years. We need a place that can support dh riding and snowbowl is the logical choice, and as far as sacred goes how do you explain the grand canyon sky walk?
BOOOOOOM! Got him!

Inclag, if you watched the video of the presentation, you'd see that there was a good showing of the Navajo tribe; those boys love to ride their downhill bikes. So before bringing up preservation and how they feel, take a peek.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So ,whats the word JP?I heard that it went through,and I'm going to have to drive up every weekend and spend a bunch of money in your fine town, here soon.
I already do it in the Summer, Flag shuttle runs are tons of fun (and then the meal at the Beaver St). I fear that a "park" might be jammed-packed like snowbowl usually is, but more is better. In any case, the DH/FR stuff that is already there is excellent and it's usually where I like to go in the Summer to ride.