Quantcast

Help a 'Novice' in choosing a bike from 3 short listed one :)

Mujahid

Chimp
Feb 29, 2012
Hi

As most of you'll figure out by my post I am a complete NOVICE to biking. So here is the background - Recently I have taught my daughter to ride and she seems to be passionate about it. Considering that I am sitting on the sidelines watching her ride her bike made me think why don’t I get a bike for myself and join her. Give her company and it would be good for my body too.

I am not tall only about 5'5 - So advise me as to which size - Rim and Frame size is right for me.

I have done a lot of reading and understood that the Department store brands are not worth the $ and it’s better to get a Bike Store one. Keeping in mind that I am not sure how long will my daughter have this interest and also not sure if I can keep up to this for long I decided on finding a used Bike . My search has got me 3 bikes for now - available for the same Price

1. TREK820 - No other details available for now

2. Gary Fisher Tassajara - No other details available for now

3. Raleigh M80 - DETAILS AS GIVEN BELOW:
Frame Tubing Material - 7005 aluminum, butted w/replaceable derailleur hanger
Fork Brand & Model - Rock Shox Jett XC, 3.0" travel
Fork Material - Aluminum/magnesium, triple-clamp crown
Brakeset - Tektro linear-pull brakes, Tektro 379A levers
Shift Levers - Shimano Deore
Front Derailleur - Shimano Deore, top-pull/clamp-on 31.8mm
Rear Derailleur - Shimano Deore SGS
Crankset - Shimano Deore, 22/32/44 teeth
Pedals - Aluminum cage w/clips & straps
Bottom Bracket - Sealed cartridge, 110.5mm spindle
BB Shell Width - 68mm English
Rear Cogs - 9-speed, 11 - 32 teeth
Tires - Front: 26 x 2.10" IRC Mythos XC, Rear: 26 x 2.10" IRC Mythos XC

Please advise me which is a better buy - I hopefully intend to pursue this - if not for anything just to inculcate-encourage this passion in my daughter

Thank you all
Mujahid

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
Go to a local bike shop, or preferably several shops. Have them get your fit right, and let the experts listen to what you're going to do on the bike and they will have suggestions. You listed low end mountain bikes, but not what type of riding you will do. I assume that riding with your daughter you will stick to roads and bike paths, so a 'comfort' or 'hybrid' bike will work as well or better than a mountain bike. I'm assuming that you copied ads from Craigslist, as the specs for the Raleigh indicate a bike that's 10-12 years old. I would recommend against a newbie buying a used bike that old, they often come with problems that can cost more than a new bike would cost. An entry level bike at a shop will cost around $300 and is money well spent.

Mujahid

Chimp
Feb 29, 2012
Thanks for the advice! But I see that most stores carry certain brands only - Either they will have Trek or Specialized - and each one says the brand they carry is better - so any suggestions on that? Any particular brands I should look for and any I should avoid?

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
For an entry level bike, all brands are basically the same. The only real differences will be minor, such as brand A will have a nicer rear dérailleur, and brand B will have a slightly better frame, etc. it's not until you get into higher end bikes that real differences start to become apparent. Buy what you think fits best and looks best.