Quantcast

Helmet go crash, whack, crack! Q - Poc Trabec?

Sep 26, 2011
So my local trail, Oak Mountain State Park just had a bitchin new flow trail built...we call it MoFlow. It's pretty intense, and I ate **** about 1/4 mile into it yesterday separating my shoulder and absolutely mangling my helmet on impact with the ground.

While the helmet (Giro Hex) did it's job, keeping my melon intact, it is done - cracked in three places. I really like the look of the Poc Trabec and would like to get one if it is as reliable or more reliable than the Hex; what say you on this beauty of a lid?

http://www.pocsports.com/en/14/wheels-helmets

-EGS

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've got one of the POC DH helmets. i love it. quality is top notch, and from what i've seen and heard the rest of their offerings are the same in terms of quality.

sizing can be problematic for some people. I'd recommend trying one on prior to purchasing if you can - or at least order from somewhere with a good return policy.

FWIW earlier in the year when the Trabec first came out, most places had trouble keeping them in stock; POC apparently wasn't able to keep up with demand. Not sure if that's still the case.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I got one about 6 months ago. Love it, I originally was trying to get the Urge helmet, but it didn't fit me(big head). POC fits great, plenty of venting, it's a bit "big", doesn't stink after multiple sweaty rides, looks pretty cool also. 2 thumbs up from me.

Sep 26, 2011
I got one about 6 months ago. Love it, I originally was trying to get the Urge helmet, but it didn't fit me(big head). POC fits great, plenty of venting, it's a bit "big", doesn't stink after multiple sweaty rides, looks pretty cool also. 2 thumbs up from me.
That's good to hear because I, too, have a big melon. 7 3/4" fitted, IINM.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
They look nice, but check out Kali too. They make some really nice stuff.

Of course, these things are super personal.

I current love my Hex btw...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Jeez dude. Not having a good time at the Flowtrack... first you fall into a pool of blood, now this. BTW are you doing all this in that Trek Superfly? Sep shoulder is no bueno, hope it heals up faster than the typical 'forever'.

Sep 26, 2011
Jeez dude. Not having a good time at the Flowtrack... first you fall into a pool of blood, now this. BTW are you doing all this in that Trek Superfly? Sep shoulder is no bueno, hope it heals up faster than the typical 'forever'.
The shoulder, radial-head and blood were the same incident. Yeah, I was trying to scout the flow trail out at a leisurely pace, and gravity being what it is, pulled me hard down the table jump into the incline b4 the step up. I heard Howard Cossell saying "DOWN GOES GUIDO! DOWN GOES GUIDO!"

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
So my local trail, Oak Mountain State Park just had a bitchin new flow trail built...we call it MoFlow. It's pretty intense, and I ate **** about 1/4 mile into it yesterday separating my shoulder and absolutely mangling my helmet on impact with the ground.

While the helmet (Giro Hex) did it's job, keeping my melon intact, it is done - cracked in three places. I really like the look of the Poc Trabec and would like to get one if it is as reliable or more reliable than the Hex; what say you on this beauty of a lid?

http://www.pocsports.com/en/14/wheels-helmets

-EGS
I love my Trabec, though it does leave a POC mark on my forehead.
I does fit my head almost perfectly. As always, you need to try it on. The Hex does not fit me very well.

Sep 26, 2011
I love my Trabec, though it does leave a POC mark on my forehead.
I does fit my head almost perfectly. As always, you need to try it on. The Hex does not fit me very well.
Therein lies the problem - no one carries them around here, so it would be trial-and-error to purchase one, huh?

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
Therein lies the problem - no one carries them around here, so it would be trial-and-error to purchase one, huh?
Yup, I was able to try it on at interbike. Have yet to see one locally in a shop. HucknRoll had them the last time I looked. They are pretty good about returns.

Sep 26, 2011
Yup, I was able to try it on at interbike. Have yet to see one locally in a shop. HucknRoll had them the last time I looked. They are pretty good about returns.
Hey Man - what size POC did you go with, and what is your hat size? I don't wanna fool with returns, etc., if I don't haveta. I'm a 7 5/8" and the Giro Hex was a L, I believe...

Peas,

-EGS