Quantcast

Heckler and Fox 36 Van? Yes....No...?

rubyrod44

Chimp
Apr 27, 2005
San Diego
Hey guys,

Im thinking about putting a Fox 36 Van on my Heckler (06). Is this going to work or will my head angle be too steep to climb effectivly?

Currently, I have a 32 Float RLC and I blow through the travel every ride.

I'm also thinking about putting a DHX 5.0 coil in the rear? I can go up to 2.25" stroke, correct? How much travel will this yeild? I cant remember.

THANKS!

rubyrod44

Chimp
Apr 27, 2005
San Diego
Thanks for the pic! Hmmmmm, define slack. I was thinking that the fork would "raise" the angle of the bike. Its taller than the 32 float.....right? So, I'd have to lean farther forward.?.?.?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, it's taller, which makes the angle of the headtube slacker. Your lean is irrelevant.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
More stable, puts your weight further back, but the front end will drift a bit more cornering and it'll wander more climbing. It's not as nimble feeling either.

rubyrod44

Chimp
Apr 27, 2005
San Diego
Its starting to sound sweeter and sweeter...

Any info on the 2.25 inch stroke shock giving more rear travel?

THANKS! for the info so far!

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
Its starting to sound sweeter and sweeter...

Any info on the 2.25 inch stroke shock giving more rear travel?

THANKS! for the info so far!
wouldnt reccommend that...it will raise ur bb even higher and do away with the nice slack headtube you would give it...

BTW SPAM have a 36 van that im getting rid of soon...very few rides. :spam:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
save your money and get a Pike.......Van36 will be either too tall or you can set it low then it will be too heavy......

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Longtime heckler rider here. My opinion is that they really nailed the geometry and you don't want to mess with it too much. If you really want a longer-travel Fox, consider a 36 Talas so you can adjust the travel for different conditions or long climbs. And in any case the problem of blowing through the travel is not necessarily going to be fixed with a longer travel fork.

I rode a 150mm manitou for a while and didn't like it for anything other than light DH. Technical steep climbs become much more difficult when your bb and handlebars are higher and your seat and head angles are more slack. The longer wheelbase, higher bb, and slack front end also impact performance in tight twisty stuff.

My two pennies: An adjustable travel 140mm pike is perfect for a heckler. I kept mine at around 130 most of the time even for stuff like downieville, porcupine rim, etc. Here is how it looked:

rky mtn srfr

Monkey
Nov 26, 2006
Boulder
Been on my Heckler for 3 seasons now and it's still kickin.
Had a Z1 on it when I bought it, and it was great climbing with ETA cranked down. Put a Marz AM1 on it and it raised the front end a little, but the ETA is even better while climbing. I run it at 130.

So, to answer your question. I'd only run a 36 Talus RLC so you can wind it down for climbing. The real question for yourself is, do you intend on doing a lot of climbing, or will you shuttle. If climbing, you're gonna want to wind the travel down, or it wont climb as well. Although it will be bomber fast and stable on the down, but maybe a little more sluggish in the slower tight and twisty s/t.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Although it will be bomber fast and stable on the down, but maybe a little more sluggish in the slower tight and twisty s/t.
36Van will bomb straight in a line better and make 2 foot rollers safer but that's about it.....as far as carrying speed, being low and mobile is more important than that extra jacked up travel....

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
I just bought a 36 Float for my 07 heckler. I figured a 6 inch front/rear Air sprung trail bike will be decent just about every where. If I were riding an 06 or older Heckler I think I might be inclined to put a smaller fork on it aka pike. I was thinking pike for the 07 but its only a .5 pound difference and the Fox gives you six inches instead of the 5 on the pike. Just my preference.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I just bought a 36 Float for my 07 heckler. I figured a 6 inch front/rear Air sprung trail bike will be decent just about every where. If I were riding an 06 or older Heckler I think I might be inclined to put a smaller fork on it aka pike. I was thinking pike for the 07 but its only a .5 pound difference and the Fox gives you six inches instead of the 5 on the pike. Just my preference.
Yeah I am now on a new heckler too, the numbers have been tweaked a bit to allow a longer travel fork. I run my pike at 135 or so most of the time and it feels spot on, but I'll jack it to 140 for longer wide open descents.

PS, the pike is 140mm which is about 5.5 inches. The 07 Float is 160mm, or 6.3 inches.

Jman

Chimp
Dec 9, 2006
I ride it with a DHX5 coil (2.25") that gives you exactly 143mm (about 5.6"). I run a Zoch AM12005 (6" max travel) and although it sets the bike slightly tall I dialed it in to about 140-145mm and it handles just perfect. The ETA is all it takes to make it perfect for long or technical climbing (and on the fly too).
I think that 6" is the maximum this bike can take up front and still stay efficient. IMHO, the increase in travel makes an already great bike even greater, there is some adaptation curve to the taller setup but once you get it I guess you’d never want to look back, as always it comes down to personal skill more then anything else. Other then hard core DH with this set-up the bike can take just about everything.

I ride with this set up for over a year now in very different types of terrain. Hope it helps.

BTW, 2005-2007 Heklers are practically identical with regarding to the important geometry numbers (some twicks & mainly design changes in this year’s model but no smoke & mirrors).