Quantcast

Headline o' the day

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My instructor repeatedly told us to never trust your instruments during my classes. Then they teach you fly using instruments, all your simulator sessions require you to know how to fly by them. ATC speaks to you and directs you by your instruments. When I need to know my airspeed I use the GPS instead of my Panel however. I cannot imagine flying a old biplane or duster without instruments... I couldn't do it.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
tell me whey there is no bowing rag top airplane, becacse when it lands on the water it floats like a boat... figured they'd learn their lesson but the Ugstrailians have another mystery down under, Blame it on the Lord.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
My instructor repeatedly told us to never trust your instruments during my classes. Then they teach you fly using instruments, all your simulator sessions require you to know how to fly by them. ATC speaks to you and directs you by your instruments. When I need to know my airspeed I use the GPS instead of my Panel however. I cannot imagine flying a old biplane or duster without instruments... I couldn't do it.
It's not a coincidence that "dead reckoning" is referred to as such.

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
Only for calculating wind aloft and ETAs I hope

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
You are multi engine qualified?
Not fully.... But will be 11 hours closer on Friday.... Just a Certified Private Pilot. I need a second-class medical certificate waiver and hundreds of thousands of Dollars to move up. I can fly one with a Navigator or trainer though... I cannot perform any pre-flight operations. I cannot log a flight plan yet either.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
It may be. It checks out well. Please advise.
Got a N#? PM me if you'd rather.

I'll swing by it tomorrow. FYI, certain (most) model Aero Commanders will make your local A&P a very happy man. If it's the one I'm thinking of, in the 11 years I've been here, I've never seen it move.

edit: is it in trade-a-plane? If it's "maintained" locally I know I couple guys I could potentially ask about it as well.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Got a N#? PM me if you'd rather.

I'll swing by it tomorrow. FYI, certain (most) model Aero Commanders will make your local A&P a very happy man. If it's the one I'm thinking of, in the 11 years I've been here, I've never seen it move.

edit: is it in trade-a-plane? If it's "maintained" locally I know I couple guys I could potentially ask about it as well.
My Plane was owned by Gov Richardson and was maintained by the State of New Mexico in La Cruces. 200 hours of Charity/Make a wish flights gets her here. If I get my CPL I can make my nut on a weekly flight to Teterboro. So I am going to buck up and get my CPL, which will facilitate a plane, a place to keep a plane, the money to fly the plane, etc. After 2 years I make a few bucks, hand off the operation to another noob and buy a villa in Barbados....

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
My Plane was owned by Gov Richardson and was maintained by the State of New Mexico in La Cruces. 200 hours of Charity/Make a wish flights gets her here. If I get my CPL I can make my nut on a weekly flight to Teterboro. So I am going to buck up and get my CPL, which will facilitate a plane, a place to keep a plane, the money to fly the plane, etc. After 2 years I make a few bucks, hand off the operation to another noob and buy a villa in Barbados....
Well, some admittedly brief interwebz only shows me that the registered owner doesn't live here. Every Aero Commander I found with a COS address (there are, shockingly, 4 of them) belong to a company called "SANBORN MAP COMPANY INC", a business I've never heard of. Also, none of the 4 look anything like the aircraft I'm thinking of.

CO weed and glitter smuggling I bet.

Edit:
pics of one of the local Commanders. LOL.

Last edited:

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
I think you'll find that if an aviation idea sounds like it would make money or be any fun, it's long since been made illegal by the FAA. I don't know how you plan to make money on charity flights, or start an airline with a fresh CPL, but it sounds like fun and I wish you the best.

If a turbine aircraft is cheap it's because the engines have no hours left, or the airframe is due for big inspections, or it would cost a fortune to get working for some other reason.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I think you'll find that if an aviation idea sounds like it would make money or be any fun, it's long since been made illegal by the FAA. I don't know how you plan to make money on charity flights, or start an airline with a fresh CPL, but it sounds like fun and I wish you the best.
Mesa or Trans States will hire anybody with a Multi-engine and a pulse. If you survive one of those two longer than 6 months your chances of getting a job where you can afford groceries gets a lot better. I know what we pay first year FO's ought to be criminal, especially Brasillia flying and we pay a lot compared to Mesa.

If a turbine aircraft is cheap it's because the engines have no hours left, or the airframe is due for big inspections, or it would cost a fortune to get working for some other reason.
:stupid:
Especially a Commander. :panic:

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
There is no way I can afford to get my CPL. I have gone as far as I can with this financially. I really just wanted to learn to fly and possibly have some fun. I am not a millionaire and have no right being involved in Aviation as that is what it takes. Flying is like Golf.... Flying is politics. I am happy with the size of my Penis just the way it is.

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
You're right, recreational pilots are mostly rich dorks. Most people don't learn that until well after they get their CPL.

There are other ways to have fun flying though. You can learn to fly paragliders and purchase your own rig for just a few grand.