Quantcast

Heading up to Whistler

Aztomac

Chimp
Mar 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Hey guys,

I finally got the greenlight from my work to take some time off. Already booked a trip for Canada for the week of the 28th of August, does anyone know what the status of the resort in terms of weather? Trying to get a better idea of what type of clothes and gear to bring. Thanks

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
echo's non-ride report ride report said it was raining with occasional clearing. bring rain gear just in case and be prepared to wash off your bike and clothes.

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
bring thin rain gear. you can usually get away with a cheap plastic poncho style rain coat. you will get hot (esp. if you wear lots of armour) if you're wearing full rain jackets. maybe some rain pants..

the things you'll go through the most are: rear rims. tubes. (shimano) derailleurs. and if you're like me, forks.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
the long term forecast for seattle (one week out) is for sun and mid 70's, but whistler, hmmm.

Generally in august it is hot and dry up there but the mt. is close to the ocean and can get marine weather that blows in and gets stuck in the valley. I have ridden in the snow in sept at the top of fitsimons. Check environment canada for current weather reports.

take it easy up there and have fun!

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
The forecast for the next week of so is all good and pretty hot, you might get the odd off day, but in general August is a safe bet with slightly cooler temps.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
If you have a spring weight one up from what you normally run, bring it. For some reason I and everyone I talked to was bottoming out like mad all week at crankworx. The trails are smoother than out east, but everything is faster, so the hits are harder.

Or maybe the mountain is magnetic or something.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Aztomac said:
Can anyone suggest a good rain jacket for Whistler?
I picked up a sweet helly jacket for 60% off at the helly store in the westin end of last summer, it's been freakin' amazing. rain changing to snow on a big back country epic, snow on another, mud in the bike park, it keeps me dry, even still after repeated washings.....

end of august weather? you could and will likely get anything.....plus it's usually pretty cool in the evenings, it is the mountains, just cause it's gets hot during hte day doesn't mean it'll be that way at night. Plus you can get pretty varied conditions while riding in the park. warm down low, and socked in clouds with drizzle/rain at the top of garbanzo is not uncommon. Just be prepared for anything!

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
manhattanprjkt83 said:
if fox still makes that clear rain jacket job they did a few years ago get that, its cheap and works.
i got one made by ACTIVA which is the same type of thing but its only good if its raining if its just muddy and the slightest bit warm the thing turns to a green house and gets pretty badly condensated (<--is this a word)