Quantcast

Hayes Retainer Washer

Bullitboy105

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
Ohio
i took a spill the other day and in the process hit the brake lever on my HFX 9 set. ripped the plunger straight out of the retainer ring. this has happened several times now, and i have used the hayes replacement kit in the past, but i was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to take out the retainer ring and washer without destroying them. the only way ive been able to get it out in the past is to literally rip it out with needle nose pliers, so any better way you all know about???

TNash1757

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
That happens to mine all the time, i just use a knife to pull the little ring out. It will usually stay in untill the lever gets pulled out again.

Bullitboy105

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
Ohio
yeah i finally got it. i used two spokes sharpened to a point as a cheap excuse for the c-clip tool. the clip was a bit bent when it came out, just slid it into a vice to straighten it. the hayes washer that holds the plunger was completely destroyed. went to the local hardware store and got stainless washers close to the original size and "modified" them to fit. Everything went back together wonderfully, and works just fine. Quick and cheap way to avoid special ordering overpriced hayes parts.