Quantcast

Hayes Haters;)

klutch

Monkey
Jan 25, 2007
dirty jersey
Everyone seems to hate hayes. To be honest I really like the lever feel they have, and they stop me just fine. I had a set of mags that just died, couldn't do anything to make them work. But the nines I have now feel pretty decent, they will need fresh pads and a bleed soon but they have treated me well for about a year or so.
I thought I needed the same but it turned out that I only needed pads

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Galpher Red pads work the best with the Hayes.
True that. I have ONLY Hayes on all 3 of my bikes. I have never had an issue with any of them. No brake fade on any of them. I only run 8" rotors on all.

I bleed the brakes like once every leap year and I only have to replace the pads once in a great while. I finally just finished off my original Hayes pads on one of my bikes and I already have the replacement Reds ready to go.

One secret to replacing pads that has worked for me is to install the drain line to the lever and flip it upright - as if you are going to bleed them. Then pop off the old pads and use the wrench trick to push out the pistons. The fluid willl rise up the line about an inch. Install the pads, take off the line, seal it up and squeeze the lever. Instant pad change.

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
Pros: easy to bleed.
Cons: everything else.

I've used Hayes for awhile, but after switching to Codes, I won't go back. Being able to actually modulate braking power makes a huge difference in terms of control. I feel more confident with Codes.

Even with the Dangerboy levers, I won't touch them anymore.
bingo

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Hayes are awesome brakes unless you want to stop
that made me laugh :clapping:

And I love all the posts from people saying:

"Yeah, I love my Hayes brakes, but now I have (insert other manufacturer)".

I have a few friends who swear by them, but I can't stand them.
After riding the same trail, first with Hayes Mags, Dangerboy Levers and then with Avid Codes, there is no contest, Avids win.
I'm really not hating on them, but I have seen durability issues.
Hey, I started out like a lot of you, running Hayes brakes and thinking "wow, disc brakes!". But Hayes got left behind and there are better options out there.

Oh yeah - the Hayes are cheaper than the others for a reason. I don't have a lot of money to spend either, but if I'm going to scrape the money together for new brakes, you can be sure they aren't going to be Hayes.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
I have had two sets of hayes brakes in my life and they have always treated me well. I had a lot of fade problems with my first pair but after ditching the 6" rotors and going to 8" I never had that problem again. I can say I really never worked on them much at all (other than pad changes and slight adjustments if there was some rubbing) and they kept running well.

The only thing that pissed me off about them sometimes was the lever set screw. Sometimes it would rattle out to the point where the lever was damn near on the bar which would cause a problem in that I couldn't pull the brake w/o pinching my fingers against the grip (and also no helping to slow me down much). Loctite works, but only for so long. Just carry a tiny hex key tho and problem solved (tucked it into the bumpstop on the top part of my doublecrown fork).

My latest bike came with juicy 7's from the factory. I think they modulate better and the adjustment knob is cool, but I wouldn't hesitate to run hayes again.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I had a lot of lever play in mine
Brake fade
Piston malfunction, only 1 of the 2 was moving after about 3 months.
etc...

3 sets of hayes and a set of juicy 5s later, lesson learned Im rocking Formula Biancos problem solved!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, except for the constant breakdowns, they're awesome...

To be fair, those were old brakes...but the system is largely the same in terms of the banjo bolts, which cracked on me several times after crashes or twice just landing on a transition, and the brass washer in the lever...which is a breakaway part, to continue to be fair, but the point was driven home to me while watching BMXman pedal away to the lifts at Big Bear for the 50th time while I drenched myself in brake fluid and/or found myself one small, unavailable part away from being able to get the brakes up and running...I'd be yelling "BUT THE MODULATION IS BETTER THAN YOUR BRAKES WHEN MINE ARE WORKING!!!!!!" as he rode away. And he was somehow able to bear the thought of stopping after his next run despite the unbearable "wooden lightswitch" feel of his operating brakes.

You can say that it's not the brakes' fault that I beat up on them, but the plain fact is that my Hayes never broke, while my Hopes did constantly...and no spare parts were readily available. (Thus my massive orders from Gwen to keep a stock of them along on any trip) Not saying one's a better brake than the other, but one sure suited me and my riding better than the other.

Edit: Oh, yeah, the caliper half system and the non-swappable levers were sweet when you wanted to switch a brake around...although I think Hope has gone away from this now, correct?

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Ok, so i know there are people out there that are hatin' on Hayes brakes. Well, whats your story? Just lookin for some opinions on Hayes stuff, like why you did/didnt like their product. Which of the standard brakes is better, HFX9 or HFX mag? Let the trail tails begin!!:rockout:
I rode HFX 9s for 2.5 seasons on a 50lb Demo 9. They were awesome. Unfortunately a friend of mine ran the exact same set up and had major issues with the reach adjuster screw on the rear brake. I guess the quality control isn't up to par.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
whats wrong with you? hopes are like 50 million times better.
One of my guys has hope motos as of May. He is on his third pair this season. Not a single one of them would seal properly, flip the bike over and there was fluid on the ground after about 2 minutes. Absolute crap. There was ALWAYS air in the lines due to this. Not to mention they use a double wide, double the weight rotor. Nonsense.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Locktite will fix the adjuster screws or just mar the treads up a little so they dont turn so easily. Easy fix.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Well, except for the constant breakdowns, they're awesome...

To be fair, those were old brakes...but the system is largely the same in terms of the banjo bolts, which cracked on me several times after crashes or twice just landing on a transition, and the brass washer in the lever...which is a breakaway part, to continue to be fair, but the point was driven home to me while watching BMXman pedal away to the lifts at Big Bear for the 50th time while I drenched myself in brake fluid and/or found myself one small, unavailable part away from being able to get the brakes up and running...I'd be yelling "BUT THE MODULATION IS BETTER THAN YOUR BRAKES WHEN MINE ARE WORKING!!!!!!" as he rode away. And he was somehow able to bear the thought of stopping after his next run despite the unbearable "wooden lightswitch" feel of his operating brakes.

You can say that it's not the brakes' fault that I beat up on them, but the plain fact is that my Hayes never broke, while my Hopes did constantly...and no spare parts were readily available. (Thus my massive orders from Gwen to keep a stock of them along on any trip) Not saying one's a better brake than the other, but one sure suited me and my riding better than the other.

Edit: Oh, yeah, the caliper half system and the non-swappable levers were sweet when you wanted to switch a brake around...although I think Hope has gone away from this now, correct?
That was the biggest problem with the older Pro levers, the washer was designed to fail to save the rest of the brake. Good idea if you carried spare ones with you. Now Hope went the standard "just buy the adaptor" gig.