Quantcast

Hawk-o-ween!!!

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Hey folks...this is the official hawkoween thread. This race has been very much last-minute and underpublicized, but its all going down this weekend! The race will be happening rain or shine! Here's the scoop:

Entry Fee: $35, friday practice is $10 extra.

Location: Hawksnest resort, Seven Devils, NC...just 15 mins from Boone or Banner Elk.

Shuttle system will be provided

One-run format

NO USAC MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED.

Male: Beginner/AM/PRO. Female: Depends upon turnout...last time was AM/PRO

Practice available 10:30-3:30 on friday ($10 extra fee), 8-11 saturday. Race registration and number plate are required to be on track!!! Registration will be open before practice each day. There will be a rider's meeting between 11 and 12 on saturday, with racing beginning at noon.

$$$$$$$$ for pros!...the turnout will determine how much.

Prizes for other classes from Transition Bikes, Monster Energy Drinks, Boone Bike and Touring, Black Cat Burrito of Boone, and Hawksnest ziplines!

Beer will be for sale at the lodge again.

The track is looking sick despite lots of rain last night. We've been working hard to iron out the kinks that we saw from the first race. The track has settled a lot and we hope will hold up a bit better to traffic and weather this time. Nonetheless, expect the unexpected and be ready for slippery conditions!

Dirty Bird part 3 on Vimeo

Let us know if there are any questions. The Bird is for real and this is our last chance to show the mountain that mountain bikers are ready to come out in full force next summer!!!

Last edited:

coreywillard

Chimp
Sep 19, 2009
Winston-salem N.C
sweet. i cant wait i am really excited about this race. me and my friend are coming up friday and then 2 of our other friends are coming up to race staurday. can wait to ride the course after all the new work yall have done.

OB1

Monkey
I'm already committed to give a skillz clinic here in Davidson. Bummer. Looking like it might even be dry. That course will be awsome in the dry. Might be a small turnout being Halloween, but who cares. Should be a blast. Post them pics!

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I'm hoping turnout will be decent, but not as big as last time. Track prep went well yesterday and we'll be digging all day today. I know Halloween takes out a lot of the family folks but thats part of the reason we went for a one-day format instead of the full weekend.

I'll try to post some pics if we do anything interesting today.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Taping and shredding the track today, hopefully have some pictures later. The weather is turning out to be much better than we anticipated. It's going to be perfect by tomorrow.

coreywillard

Chimp
Sep 19, 2009
Winston-salem N.C
lets get this bike park up and rolling. i really wanna come up nd help on the mountain but i dont know who to get in contact with, is there anyone that could give me some info so i could come help you guys. RECYCELS FOR LIFE

Dudebrah

Chimp
May 18, 2009
lets get this bike park up and rolling. i really wanna come up nd help on the mountain but i dont know who to get in contact with, is there anyone that could give me some info so i could come help you guys. RECYCELS FOR LIFE
Man, we're workin' on it! Appreciate the interest and support. We're trying to figure out a way we can expand the trail crew safely and equitably. My the owner/GM has said that he wants to "do mountain biking" next season. What exactly that means is up to us in some ways.

The more they see people showing up for races and putting up posts like these the more they'll be willing to let me spend my time and others time on building a better trail network. The lift could run for bikes, we've just got to show them why.

Talk to me at the race and I'll be glad to give some info.

-Liam

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
ill be there tomorrow morning! see you douche bags then! I wish i had a bike so i could race......you havin a masters class?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I just got a trackside update from the Bird. The track is dry and rippin' despite the fog.
Maybe a slick root or three in the woods, but the track is prime right now.
See you guys there tomorrow.

Dudebrah

Chimp
May 18, 2009
I just got a trackside update from the Bird. The track is dry and rippin' despite the fog.
Maybe a slick root or three in the woods, but the track is prime right now.
See you guys there tomorrow.
The fog cleared and it was sunny most of the day. Beautiful conditions, track was tacky rockstar dirt.

Thanks to everyone who came out and rode today, great fun and awesome riding- we couldn't have asked for better conditions.

Now lets all hope tomorrow is as nice...and lets all hope really hard.

Dudebrah

Chimp
May 18, 2009
Awesome race today, thanks to everyone for coming out. Soon enough we'll do one of these in nice weather and times will get crazy fast.

It was great all around, we paid out well for pros, awarded deep in amateur and gave some sweet youth prizes too. Had prizes for longest drive (came from orlando!)and best costume. Costumed racers received a 2 second bonus for their costume, but it wasn't enough to be a difference maker in any of the races.

That's it for the dirty bird race season, we'll keep everyone posted with pics of building and news about races. Hoping to put together a series for next summer/fall and have some trails open to the public next spring.

coreywillard

Chimp
Sep 19, 2009
Winston-salem N.C
liam yall did a great gob this weekend. i had a sweet time. friday was amazing, could not ask for better conditions. saturady was so wet and slick but its good to ride stuff like that, makes you a better rider. other than my dad bitching cause of all my muddy **** i had the best race weekend all year

deadlink404

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
I would like to thank you guys for a awesome job this weekend, it was a real good time just riden friday and hanging out and a sloppy saturday what more could you ask for. so awesome to see people coming out like that, no matter how bad conditions could be. I would for sure love to come out and help with some trail building with you guys.

I never got this one guys info about a 08 white morewood izimu so if you see this pm please.

Jimmy

Jan 12, 2009
I would like to send out a big thank you for all those who helped put this event together! For my first downhill race I had an amazing time and hope to race again during next summer!

-Also, I remember seeing a guy taking pics during the practice and during the race, does anyone know where he will post them? Also saw someone near the rock garden taking pics, anyone know where he will post those?

MetalMayhem

Chimp
May 17, 2008
east coast
-Also, I remember seeing a guy taking pics during the practice and during the race, does anyone know where he will post them? Also saw someone near the rock garden taking pics, anyone know where he will post those?
My dad was taking some pics at the rock garden, and at the finish during the race. They will be posted here sometime soon, they are being cropped today.

And thanks to everyone who put on the race and belped build the course. The track was awesome (the rain definitely made it interesting!), and so were most of the costumes :thumb: Looking forward to the races there next season!

Last edited:

TomB

Chimp
Oct 22, 2009
Great race, even with the slop.... thanks to the folks at Hawks Nest for letting us play and a big thanks to you guys for putting in the hours to build.

coreywillard

Chimp
Sep 19, 2009
Winston-salem N.C
liam i was wanting to get more info from you about the trail work. me and my friend are really really intersted in helping you guys. if you could pm me with any info you have that would be great.

corey

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Those of you who practiced on Friday got to ride in some of the best conditions the Dirty Bird has ever had. Too bad Saturday didn't turn out to be as nice. Thanks to everyone who came out anyways, I still had a blast. And of course, now we get a solid week of sunshine after another muddy race weekend

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Those of you who practiced on Friday got to ride in some of the best conditions the Dirty Bird has ever had. Too bad Saturday didn't turn out to be as nice. Thanks to everyone who came out anyways, I still had a blast. And of course, now we get a solid week of sunshine after another muddy race weekend

Yeah lets have a race...say this friday? Haha we got the shaft over the weekend as usual.

We walked the track yesterday to take all the tape down and it honestly didn't get hit too hard by the mud racing. A few deep ruts here and there and lots of muck on top of the berms, but everything survived nonetheless. Thanks for coming out everyone...see ya next spring!

Last edited: