Quantcast

Has to be the Skinny Jeans effect

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Study finds men are weaker than they were 30 years ago

Men are getting weaker and scientists can prove it: The Journal of Hand Therapy (which exists) has found that males are definitely weaker then they were 30 years ago.

In a series of studies testing grip and pinch strength, men aged 20-34 showed significantly decreased power than men of comparable ages did three decades ago.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Study-finds-men-are-weaker-than-they-were-30-9137197.php

seems reasonable considering that at age 60 I can run circles around the 20 something EMTs on the rigs.
discuss

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
just going by observation in the states that i have lived in.....emt's aren't the healthiest people.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
just going by observation in the states that i have lived in.....emt's aren't the healthiest people.
Theriously. A surprising number of health care professionals in NC are morbidly obese. Just doesn't seem right that a physical therapist can't bend over to touch their toes without passing out from lack of oxygen. I have a hard time taking some of them seriously.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
As a smith I pride myself in hand strength. However I have noticed a wee bit of a decrease in the last several years, but I attribute that to not producing nearly the amount of work I used to. Still though my paws are like vice grips compared to the smartphone zombies.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
What a terrible article.

Grip and pinch strength are apparently good indicators of overall strength, so by testing the wimpy grip of today's men, scientists can say with amusing confidence that present day fellas would totally lose in a fight to their contemporaries of the 1980s.
What.....was pinching a common tactic in 80s fighting? Fabulous!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
30 years ago i was a lot better at skateboarding than i am now.
i was never that good but at least i had a sense of balance 30 years a go....

i put one together when i moved here and it has stayed buried in a closet....too old to break a elbow

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
@jstuhlman and @stevew I too was a sk8r 30 years ago, and I sucked at it. No really. Couldn't ollie to save my life, ramps were a bloody disaster, but was ok at slides.

And 30 years ago was the summer we moved back to NC before my senior year of high school. I hadn't started mountain biking or metalsmithing yet. At 5' 10" and 135-145 llbs I wasn't very strong. A quarter century of working with my hands and riding bikes in the woods has certainly changed that. So obviously this study is incorrect.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
30 years ago I was a NAUI Scuba instructor working at a dive shop at the Santa Cruz Yacht Harbor. We ran 4 classes a week. Swam laps four nights, road race bikes in the mountains and did four Scuba dives each weekend. Best shape of my life.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
30 years ago I was a NAUI Scuba instructor working at a dive shop at the Santa Cruz Yacht Harbor. We ran 4 classes a week. Swam laps four nights, road race bikes in the mountains and did four Scuba dives each weekend. Best shape of my life.
Yet no actual work....

:P

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
30 years ago I was flinging poo out my diapers and still learning how to talk.

People are pussies these days because everyone thinks the American dream is work smart, not hard. And working 'smart' is actually not working at all, but living off the gubberment. Muscles, use em or turn into Flabby McFlabbington.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Way stronger now than I was 20 years ago (when I was 18). Somethings hurt a bit longer now, but I've never been in as good shape, complete shape, as now. Good grip too.
highres_410054682ss.jpg

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
30 years ago I was flinging poo out my diapers and still learning how to talk.

People are pussies these days because everyone thinks the American dream is work smart, not hard. And working 'smart' is actually not working at all, but living off the gubberment. Muscles, use em or turn into Flabby McFlabbington.
I was riding bikes while you flung poo.