Quantcast

Has anyone ever tried the Renthal grips ?

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
I know this wont be much use to you regarding the "lock on" function, but I used to use Renthal half waffle "watercraft" grips back in the day before lockon's existed. Best grip pattern and rubber compound ever! I'm sure you'll love them:thumb:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I was about to order some Kevlar ones myself and CRC just ran out of grip glue, damn. I'm sick of all of my ODIs moving around in the collars so I'm going back to old school grips and grip glue.

Frisco

Chimp
Jan 16, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Been thinking of trying these but hate that they aren't lock on. I've never wired grips and hate dealing with glue. How are you wiring them? Does the wire hurt your hands?

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
Just make sure you bend the sharp end over into the the grip when you are doing it.

Also if you are not gluing them on use brakecleaner or some fluid that will provide temporary lubrication but will evaporate shortly after.

Last edited:

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
I was about to order some Kevlar ones myself and CRC just ran out of grip glue, damn. I'm sick of all of my ODIs moving around in the collars so I'm going back to old school grips and grip glue.
try ergon GA1 or GE1 no more moving around in the collars
or if you like really thin grips try syntace lock on grips

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
try ergon GA1 or GE1 no more moving around in the collars
or if you like really thin grips try syntace lock on grips
OK I'll look out for the Ergon stuff, I'm tempted to try plumbers jointing compound. I hate thin lock on grips because the don't take out any trail buzz that's why I'm going for the Renthals.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You mean hairspray?
Tried a few different hairsprays, the grips have alway stretched and broke the bond. I've used grip glue before and it's great stuff, I know it's overpriced and it is probably contct cement but I'll still pay $5 for a tiny tube,

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
Not sure how many of you raced moto, but I did for a long time. Gas and hairspray are a perfect 'race day' fix, but the grips will start twisting quite quickly. Grip glue works perfect, but is a pain in the butt to get off of the bars when re-applying.

The soft compound Renthal grips will definitely not last long, one weekend at Whistler and they will be toast, but they feel oh so good!

If CRC is out of glue, drive to a moto shop...

Frisco: Twist safety wire on, put the twist bit on the bottom where you don't touch, you will learn quick. I found outside, inside, and in the middle works best. But glue should be used as well.

I am so stoked Renthal is in the DH game now, their products will dominate!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I've wanted to try these: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/GR300A00-Rav+X+Density+X+Lock+Grip.aspx for a while. They are actually soft to the bar on one side, the other side has a plastic core. Not sure if that helps, but I was looking to quiet the same buzz as you.
I'm done with lock-ons those ones may work but now that I'm no longer running carbon bars I prefer to run normal grips and glue. If the Renthal grips are no good I'll run Lizard Skins Charger grips, I have them on my DJ bike that never gets used but the grips do feel awesome.

I'm done with lock-ons those ones may work but now that I'm no longer running carbon bars I prefer to run normal grips and glue. If the Renthal grips are no good I'll run Lizard Skins Charger grips, I have them on my DJ bike that never gets used but the grips do feel awesome.

I'm not sure as to why you dont like lock ons?
If twisting or "float" from lock on ring grips is your beef, you should try sunlines. They dont have a ring. The set screw is built into the grip. 3 different thicknesses are offered.