Quantcast

Harleys........who's got em, lets see em!

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I apparently am not doing my mid life crisis correctly, since I am one of the only retired Navy Chiefs I know that does not have a goatee and a Harley.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I love passing Harleys while descending off of the Blue Ridge Parkway on the road bike. Lean angle FTW!

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
no Harley for me, just a Triumph Street Triple R (675) and a Husqvarna SMR510.

Have been wanting a cruiser more and more though as I find myself commuting on the bike more recenty. For my own personal sanity and gas savings I think. 45mpg for a commute including beating on it when I can is hard to beat (triumph.)

edit: I actually think its because the Triumph is starting to feel small on me... and I'm really resisting the temptation of riding an 1198 because I think if I do i'll have to figure out a way to get one.

edit2: also fueled by the fact I rode a 83 Yamaha XS650 home for a buddy for his first bike last weekend, and man its nice to just sit upright and enjoy a nice day. I don't find a sportbike tuck to be uncomfortable, because I can appreciate the control and handling dynamic that come from it, but boy is it nice to sit up and go a little slower.

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I don't have a bike right now, have owned a couple KZ650s, a Monster SR2, and a DRZ 400 Supermoto. Most fun was the supermoto for sure, had Marchesini wheels and a couple other fun upgrades and that thing felt like a bicycle in the twistys. The KZ is a fun bike too, but kinda slow compared to the others (of course). The Monster was loud, Italian, and looked awesome but it had more motor than chassis and the riding position kind of sucked.

I don't like most Harleys but the Japanese scene has been blowing up lately with stuff I can dig:

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have one on paper, but the truck has to be done before I can start another project. Ironhead Sportster cafe something.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Our MS ride yesterday went along the same road as some charity motorcycle event...had to be hundreds of them (Harleys, I presume) going the opposite direction. It just warmed our hearts when some of the bikers hollered "Fags!" and "Homos!" at us as we pedaled along our MS route.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Our MS ride yesterday went along the same road as some charity motorcycle event...had to be hundreds of them (Harleys, I presume) going the opposite direction. It just warmed our hearts when some of the bikers hollered "Fags!" and "Homos!" at us as we pedaled along our MS route.
Maybe they were not trying to offend you but looking for some action. Not unlikely at all :D

I don't have a bike right now, have owned a couple KZ650s, a Monster SR2, and a DRZ 400 Supermoto. Most fun was the supermoto for sure, had Marchesini wheels and a couple other fun upgrades and that thing felt like a bicycle in the twistys. The KZ is a fun bike too, but kinda slow compared to the others (of course). The Monster was loud, Italian, and looked awesome but it had more motor than chassis and the riding position kind of sucked.

I don't like most Harleys but the Japanese scene has been blowing up lately with stuff I can dig:

Cool bike

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

Have been wanting a cruiser more and more though as I find myself commuting on the bike more recenty. For my own personal sanity and gas savings I think. 45mpg for a commute including beating on it when I can is hard to beat (triumph.)

edit: I actually think its because the Triumph is starting to feel small on me... and I'm really resisting the temptation of riding an 1198 because I think if I do i'll have to figure out a way to get one.

edit2: also fueled by the fact I rode a 83 Yamaha XS650 home for a buddy for his first bike last weekend, and man its nice to just sit upright and enjoy a nice day. I don't find a sportbike tuck to be uncomfortable, because I can appreciate the control and handling dynamic that come from it, but boy is it nice to sit up and go a little slower.
Funny you mentioned the triumph, I am leaning more and more towards the triumph for my next cruiser.....

Currently have a shadow, smae thing feeling small on longer rides, engine is plenty, but the frame itself is just too small for me.....

Want to sell it and move up to the triumph Rocket three touring...... Now this is a fun riding bike, got to test ride one a few times..... and DAMN.... it hauls friggin ass, massive low end right on up into the top end.... Beyond smooth and comfy ride...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My question is where are you going to be able to ride one? They just passed a 55 decibel law in New York. Already you can't ride one in most neighborhoods in New York city. New Jersey and Mass are soon to follow or enforce the USDOT pipe standard and possibly emissions. I guess the cops will have to crawl under your bike to see if your exhaust is DOT approved??

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

My current ride:

My old ride:

I miss my R1.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
My question is where are you going to be able to ride one? They just passed a 55 decibel law in New York. Already you can't ride one in most neighborhoods in New York city. New Jersey and Mass are soon to follow or enforce the USDOT pipe standard and possibly emissions. I guess the cops will have to crawl under your bike to see if your exhaust is DOT approved??
Gonna have to catch you first...

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
An uncle had a 92 FLH and it was certainly comfortable once it was up and rolling. Lazy boy on wheels really. Closest I'd be willing to get to paying for an HD would be for a Buell XB.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't have a bike right now, have owned a couple KZ650s, a Monster SR2, and a DRZ 400 Supermoto. Most fun was the supermoto for sure, had Marchesini wheels and a couple other fun upgrades and that thing felt like a bicycle in the twistys.
Loving my DRZ SM. :thumb:

I like some of the older Harley's but around here they are mostly blinged-out and slow-moving show boats ridden by idiots blasting really loud, really bad music, sadly desperate for someone to look their way.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Closest I'd be willing to get to paying for an HD would be for a Buell XB.
I enjoyed my Firebolt, but the trans shifted like an old farm truck (a far cry from sport bike feel).

<edit> but the sound was pure Harley. I have the stainless factory racing Buell exhaust, too.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Since everyone's doing it. :)

BTW the Harley custom I posted earlier is done by a company called Hide if you want to see more of their stuff.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I enjoyed my Firebolt, but the trans shifted like an old farm truck (a far cry from sport bike feel).

<edit> but the sound was pure Harley. I have the stainless factory racing Buell exhaust, too.
The '07 and newer were 'posed to shift a lot better. Keeping my eyes peeled for a low mile 07 XB9R (last year for the 9R). It's a shame how HD closed down the brand though. That Barracuda prototype sounded (on paper) like it was going to be an amazing MC.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The '07 and newer were 'posed to shift a lot better. Keeping my eyes peeled for a low mile 07 XB9R (last year for the 9R). It's a shame how HD closed down the brand though. That Barracuda prototype sounded (on paper) like it was going to be an amazing MC.
The newer 1125CR with Rotax motor is worth killing a man for, but parts will be hard to find and not cheap very soon. But that motor is what sportbikes are built for.