Quantcast

Hardtails and Knees

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I know plenty of people have probably read or posted on threads like these but i am wondering the effects as i haven't found any real info. I had bad knees in middle school and high school due to a thing called osgood schlaughters. I use to get real bad aching knees and fluid build up when playing soccer but it finally went away 2 years ago in 11th/12th grade. I have a heckler but am considering getting a hardtail i can ride street and dj on but i rode my heckler this past weekend at snowshoe riding real hard on the mtn x and on the freeride and race courses. My right knee did start aching and i'm wondering if i should get a hardtail or would it bring back pains in my knees. When i play basketball with my friends my knees take a lot of impact and start aching and hurting again. I came real close to tearing my ACL once playing soccer because of my knees and dont know if i should just stick to short travel FR frames for djing and such or is it possible to ride HT and such and not have my knees mess up bad? I know a few big riders that said they had knee problems and i see them mostly on small FR bikes (steve romaniuk has had knee problems and rode a 4by mostly from what i saw). Should i just be safe and stick to squish?

Sorry for the long post thanks to anyone who posts back or took the time to bother reading my crap.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
Well here's my story.
I had a HT that I used for dirtjumping and street, but my knees and especially my back where always aching after a day riding.
After I visited my doctor for the XXth time, I decided to sell my HT and buy a FS 4X bike.
I bought a Be One DS with 4 inch travel and the only 'pain' I have right know is when I crash :) No more aching knees and no more back pain.
That 4" of travel is more than enough to take out those harsh impacts that f.ck up your knees.
I thought that DJ'ing with a FS was no fun or no good, but I jump better than ever with my 4X bike.
So I wouldn't buy a HT and stick with the FS if you already have bad knees.

..and like BMXman said, it's always a good idea to visit a (sports) doctor.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
I've got a trials bike, a hardtail jumper and now have an AC-1. With the hardtails, ankle and knee joints, along with smoothly setting down rear wheel first, act as rear suspension. I like to kinda slam my wheels down on landing -- sorta jam 'em down on contact. Not so good on a hardtail with 42-year-old knees.

Depends in what condition your knees are in. Mine ain't so hot, so know I'm riding my full squishy almost all the time. I can really slam my rear wheel down and not have my knees ache for days.

But, yeah, maybe your Dr. can answer that one for you. If you're ubersmooth you may be okay, but if you're a hack like me, maybe not so good.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
If you were alread ya smooth hardtail rider than i would say stick with it. However if you would have to take your body through that learning curve you might get a little beat up. If i picked up a bmx i would hurt my wrists and ankels trying to do what i can do on my mtn bike. Eventually i would figure it out and not hurt myself. If i were you i would barrow a freinds bike and try a quick trail ride or something to gauge how your body will taker the pounding. Some people just cant handle DH riding on a hardtail

...maybe your just not cut out for it. :eviltongu

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Moby,

That is why I gave up the HT. Knee and back problems. Take it from a old fart take care fo your body now and you will do the things you like longer later.

Don't beat that crap out of yourself to be cool ( like I did) your body will thank you later!