Quantcast

Hands falling asleep while riding...

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I'm sorry if this has been posted before, I didn't see anything in a search....

I have recently started riding a XC hardtail (I usually ride DH) and have noticed that while riding my hands will fall asleep (I used to have the same problem when I had a road bike).

The bike seems to fit just fine, padded gloves don't seem to help.....the only seem that seems to help is constantly moving my hands around.

Looking at the bike (see pic) the seat is quite a bit higher than the bars (like a road bike). I have to assume that having the seat that high and the bars that low is shifting my weight forward, directly onto my hands, and causing the problem.

I can't raise the bars more, and if I lowered the seat I feel like I would lose all of my pedaling power (not to mention the performance of the bike would suffer).

Ideas? :help:

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
You could try using a riser bar or an extreme rise/drop stem. Personally, I switched to a carbon riser bar (flexes better than aluminum, looks cool too) and installed ergo grips. With the grips, my weight isn't focused on the area between my thumb joint and my index nuckle. The weight gets distributed all across my palm. Bar ends are also a good way to relieve stress on you hands.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Cheapest solution is to try some ergo grips. A good friend of mine had all kinds of trouble with his hands. He eventually tried out the Specialized BG ergo grips, and now he won't ride anything else. No one cares if they look different/non-standard. I suspect that unless you put on some ape hangers, raising the bars will make a relatively small difference in your hand problem because you will only be reducing a fraction of the pressure you put on your hands--you still put a fair amount of weight on your hands when the seat and handlebar are within a couple of inches height wise. On the flip side, raising the bar height (new bars or a new stem, or both) shouldn't make things any worse. You also might want to play with the bar rotation a little bit. From the picture it looks like you might try rotating the bar forward just a bit.

klutch

Monkey
Jan 25, 2007
dirty jersey
get rid of those Oury grips!they suck. I had a pair for like 2 weeks I had the same problem you're having.Also if you can take some air out of the front tire do that too it should soften it to stop it from vibrating.
PS-try pedro's lock on dice grips you will most likely find them for about $12-$14 for xc they are pretty nice.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Thanks for the responses everyone.....

I love the Oury grips on my DH bike, but I'm thinking I'll give the ergo grips a try on the XC bike to see if it helps. Thanks again!

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
typically the cause of this is that you are too far forward on the bike. to much pressure on your hands can cause the numbness in them, and even as far up as your shoulders

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
If the grips don't work you could try shorter stem & higher rise bar to get you in a bit more of an upright position.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
typically the cause of this is that you are too far forward on the bike. to much pressure on your hands can cause the numbness in them, and even as far up as your shoulders
QFE.

However, if moving your saddle back puts your knees in the wrong position, then try a shorter stem.

FatAzzRunner

Chimp
Jun 3, 2007
Wichita, KS
I had the same problem with my bike. I found out that my last bike was TOOOOO big. It was a 19" Specialized. I went to a bike shop, they fit me to my bike and told me I was WAY to stretched out and that I was putting all my weight on my hands.

Sold it, bought a 17.5" Trek 6500 and havent had a problem since, well, unless it is a really long ride.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
for one you need to adjust the angle of your bar so that you get some up sweep. that should help alot in the weight on the inside of the hand.

i doubt that it is the orgy grips to be honest. if you like them on your dh like they should be find on your xc bike. also i have been riding them for years exclusively on all of my bike with no bad results.

also it could just be that your hands need to adjust to being ridden on for such a long time.

also i have found that my hands will do that lot more if i'm dehydrated.

try these thing first before you start changing parts as it might not be the grips/

KonaKruiser

Chimp
Apr 29, 2009
Candler, NC
I'm sorry if this has been posted before, I didn't see anything in a search....

I have recently started riding a XC hardtail (I usually ride DH) and have noticed that while riding my hands will fall asleep (I used to have the same problem when I had a road bike).

This used to happen to my pinky and my ring toe. You need to take fish oil pills twice a day which increase bloodflow and libido (just make sure you're not single, or else you'll never get off the computer if you catch my drift). You'll be spanking the --->:monkeydance: