Quantcast

Hands and feet going mildly numb on trail bike....

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
2013 Stumpjumper - Medium
saddle is "good" (same saddle type I have been using for 2-3 years now, was fitted for saddle and it seems to work fine)
swapped 75mm stem in favor of 60mm stem.
everything else is pretty standard.

I did switch back to clipless pedals this year, but have used them on and off in the past and never had a problem.

My riding is much faster, and I am doing more miles than previous years. Early in the season I did not have numbness problem at all. No changes made to the bike since I started riding it in march/april. Numbness is mild.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Move saddle forward, aft, tilt it differently? Rotate bars slightly? reposition cleats? shimz? moar shimz? try it now? quit riding all together and take up fixies?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
have you changed your cleat position on your shoes?

try rolling your handlebar foreward (or backward). i had the same issue w/ my hands once and that solved it.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
have you changed your cleat position on your shoes?

try rolling your handlebar foreward (or backward). i had the same issue w/ my hands once and that solved it.
No, same shoes I wear for downhill and road bike (until I get unlazy and put cleats on my other shoes) and I don't have numbness problems on those bikes. But it seems like a logical suggestion, just not sure which direction to move them. Maybe just move them to move them and see what happens?

Will do on rolling the bars a touch and see how that works.

I know something must be slightly out of place, just not sure what or how to find it, I guess I should just start experimenting a bit.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
In regard to hand pain: Have you changed your grips recently, or are your current grips really worn?

Last edited:

Josef

Monkey
Apr 17, 2013
This is possible, I've been tying them a bit snugger than usual, didn't even think of it.
There is a good shot this is it. I was lacing one of my shoes really tight earlier this year because of a toe injury and it made the whole foot go numb. Ive also had the same experience skiing.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
There is a good shot this is it. I was lacing one of my shoes really tight earlier this year because of a toe injury and it made the whole foot go numb. Ive also had the same experience skiing.
Yup. I had similar experiences. I've become particularly attentive to this now that I ride in cold weather - gotta keep that blood circulating!

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
With your feet it could be the extra miles you are riding. I am in the same boat you are in. I have been trying to do longer rides this year and the soles of my my feet always go numb somewhere between 15 and 20 miles.

Have you ever considered using Ergon grips? I switched years ago and rarely get any discomfort in my hands. Been using the GS1 grip for the last couple of years. They get used on everything from XC to DH at Snowshoe.

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/gs1

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Can't add anything on the foot numbness, but as for hands, here's a couple things that come to mind:

- bars: although it sounds like you've been running your current set for awhile with no issues previously, beyond adjusting them as suggested, I've found some alum bars just seem to be stiffer than others and transfer a lot of vibration to your hands. Particularly, the RF Atlas bars felt like they practically had no flex in them (unlike WC 650 wheels), especially compared to the Six C bars I replaced them with. And of course there's different rise and sweep options you can consider as well.

- grips: I think you can have grips that are too large or too thin, and they can cause hand issues. Beyond making sure your grips are the correct/preferred size for you, there's also some like the Renthals that offer different "softness" compounds or maybe non-lock on grips (which don't have a hard inner core).

- fork: My old Fox 36 Float RLC would make my hands very sad if I didn't stay on top of the recommended FIT cart service intervals. My current fork (Pike RTC solo) seems so, so much plusher off the top, but it's still pretty new and it remains to be seen if it will start to beat my hands up in the coming months.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
the longer you ride, the more your feet can swell when its hot. run the shoes a bit less tight… or loosen them if they start going numb.

ESI foam grips cured hand pump for me.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Another vote for the esi grips. They come in 3 thicknesses, I generally opt for the middle ones and I've ditched the gloves. My numb hand problems are all but a thing of the past. I'm going to try carbon bars next.
Also try raising your bars a couple mm. If they are too low you could be allowing you hands to carry too much of your body weight.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
In regard to hand pain: Have you changed your grips recently, or are your current grips really worn?
Grips are the same lock on grips I have been running for years, they are a new set, less than 100 miles.

I am going to rotate my bars slightly as suggested, loosen my shoes and report back. Thank you all for the responses so far.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
- fork: My old Fox 36 Float RLC would make my hands very sad if I didn't stay on top of the recommended FIT cart service intervals. My current fork (Pike RTC solo) seems so, so much plusher off the top, but it's still pretty new and it remains to be seen if it will start to beat my hands up in the coming months.
This is also something to consider, I am lucky enough to have one of the 2013ish fox ctd's that has zero compression dampening, I run in the trail position, and I did add a bit of psi to it recently to offset the diving-ness and ability to blow right through the travel. this could be a contributing factor, though I notice the numbness while seated and pedaling along on even mellow stuff....either way, I'll consider dropping 5-10 psi to see if this helps also.

Dec 3, 2007
Along with rolling the bars a little, try the same with your brake levers. Switching to the shorter stem changes the angle you contact the controls, so adjust accordingly to get your wrists back to a more natural position.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
instead of buying **** ride moar.. just sounds like fatigue/weakness to me

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hahaha, I have a similar problem but mine is because I own a silly bike and the bars are quite a lot lower than the saddle and yeah my hands go numb in no time. Also having shoulders in the wrong spot due to broken collarbones screws me up as I have different reach left to right.

I am going to 35mm bars which will probably make it worse so I've ordered a couple of sets of ESI grips to try.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That's a lot of excuses for someone who sounds like they simply have poor core strength and flexibility.. but yeah, buy MOAR ****!!!that'll fix it ;)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
having shoulders in the wrong spot due to broken collarbones screws me up as I have different reach left to right.
if only humans had independently functioning elbows and wrists to compensate, eh? ;P

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hahah, yeah knocked out about 400Miles last month on my trusty 14kg 8 speed, it's bike setup in my case. I set my bike up for the fun down bits and suffer for the rest, my bars would be around 4-5" lower than the saddle for XC/road but it's good for the downs when the seat is dropped.

Flexy bars **** me so I'm going to 35mm.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
instead of buying **** ride moar.. just sounds like fatigue/weakness to me
Where did I look to buy more ****? I'm not buying anything, I have a fitment issue somewhere.

I don't figure it to be fatigue, it is happening very quickly into the beginning of my rides, not 15-20 miles in.

Last edited:

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
check the tilt of the brakes levers.
hands: it can be a carpal tunnel syndrome
legs: this can be a real problem. do you have any back pain?... if so, it can be a Spinal disc herniation ( I hope that is how you call it in English )

I hope you will find out its nothing.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
check the tilt of the brakes levers.
hands: it can be a carpal tunnel syndrome
legs: this can be a real problem. do you have any back pain?... if so, it can be a Spinal disc herniation ( I hope that is how you call it in English )

I hope you will find out its nothing.
I do have back problems, but they are not new at all. I broke L4/L5 and have Sacro-Illiac Joint problems, but it has not been an issue before, and my back feels pretty good right now.

I think once i make some adjustments I'll be good.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
lol.. I abhor flexy parts.. So yeah, I'd get them changed ASAP too.

not really sure what the rest of your point is tho, my all round mtb is a heavy (31lb) 100mm DJ hardtail which when I use the saddle at full extension is around 5-6" higher than the bars too..(My roadbike's saddle to bar drop is 6" to tops, 12" to drops)
400miles is around about the mileage I manage in the winter months when it's snowing out, it's summer here now so that figure has been closer to double that for the past few months.. but it isn't really all about mileage.. hours on the bike stood up, pumping, jumping, manualling etc. is what keeps my core strength up not sat down mileage..

a couple of weekends ago I actually did suffer from tired, painful hands and feet for the first time in ages, but TBF that was riding pretty much the equivalent of all 2 days stages of the Scottish round of the EWS in hot weather in one afternoon on the hardtail.. I haven't really been riding much super steep tech stuff recently so it was entirely down to fatigue.. If I was bothered enough to want to overcome it, I simply need to ride moar steep trails moar frequently..

it really is that simple

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

not really sure what the rest of your point is tho, my all round mtb is a heavy (31lb) 100mm DJ hardtail which when I use the saddle at full extension is around 5-6" higher than the bars too..(My roadbike's saddle to bar drop is 6" to tops, 12" to drops)
400miles is around about the mileage I manage in the winter months when it's snowing out, it's summer here now so that figure has been closer to double that for the past few months.. but it isn't really all about mileage.. hours on the bike stood up, pumping, jumping, manualling etc. is what keeps my core strength up not sat down mileage..

a couple of weekends ago I actually did suffer from tired, painful hands and feet for the first time in ages, but TBF that was riding pretty much the equivalent of all 2 days stages of the Scottish round of the EWS in hot weather in one afternoon on the hardtail.. I haven't really been riding much super steep tech stuff recently so it was entirely down to fatigue.. If I was bothered enough to want to overcome it, I simply need to ride moar steep trails moar frequently..

it really is that simple
you so hardkor

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I moved my clips a lot further back on my XC shoes and it made a big difference in foot comfort.
I currently have them slid all the way back in the front holes, I swap them to the back holes for DH, maybe something to try if I can't overcome the numbness by tying them looser.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009

it really is that simple

Agree with all but not entirely about riding more solves fatigue problems. Had the luxury last summer to live at a resort and put in 77 days of lift riding. Have two boxxers, one stock and one with AVA. Two days on my stock boxxer leaves me more fatigued in my hands and fingers than the AVA one does after 10+. So parts do make a noticeable difference. In fact I pretty much cant become so fatigued on the AVA one that it really matters.

But numbness seems like an uncommon problem. That usually signals bad blood flow to me, I've had it from tying my shoes to hard for instances. Normally you should feel sore/beaten up if you are a little low on recent biking mileage not feel numb.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Couple of seasons ago I participated in a controlled grip strength/fatigue test at a race alongside a few WC riders.. I couldn't believe the difference in results they had over me despite me being a heavier rider who brakes far more than them..
Why do you think this might be?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Couple of seasons ago I participated in a controlled grip strength/fatigue test at a race alongside a few WC riders.. I couldn't believe the difference in results they had over me despite me being a heavier rider who brakes far more than them..
Because your awesome, it's clearly stated in your posts.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I currently have them slid all the way back in the front holes, I swap them to the back holes for DH, maybe something to try if I can't overcome the numbness by tying them looser.
Also really remember a lot of things can start to happen when you increase your riding. I have gone through all kinds of problems and adjustments the last 6 months including new bike fitting, new road shoes, new road bike, bib changes, changes in nutrition and much more. As a good friend of mine said the more your ride the more you have to do to keep riding.

As an example my Sidi were fine for a long time but as I started riding faster and putting more power into the pedals they started hurting my feet.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Because your awesome, it's clearly stated in your posts.
ha ha... Yeah, ok.. but just to confirm, what I'm saying here is the results showed all the WC riders tested had massively greater hand strength and resistance to fatigue than I do..

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
lever position , distance lever is away from the bar , grip size and shape and shifter position are all responsible for causing hand numbness , same with the shape and position of the handle bars . as for feet numbness , too tight of shoe is one , same with pads being too tight and restricting blood flow . and i agree on fork set-up that can cause cramps and numbness in ones hands .

for me i run a Oury grip and keep my lever pull distance as close too the bar as possible without it hitting the grips , i also roll my bars to a position that suits my riding posture not what looks cool .

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009

Curious to know what the tests actually was? I've only really gauged my grip strength once properly on machine that gave back a proper metric back in school.

Do you lift weights normally? I wouldnt be too surprised to see WC pros outmatching a normal rider in grip strength since they both ride more/harder and lift more than most. Whereas mortals have jobs etc to go to instead. And I suspect most weekend warriors neglect excersises that is superb for grip strength while at the gym, wheras pros probably have figured out that hanging on to the bars is generally a good thing to be able to do at mach stupid over many hard runs.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
10ish riders
GPS logger on each bike with some other data acquisition equipment (inc. HRM I think)
muscle measurements and calibrated grip meter testing after each run.. (maybe a similar instrument to you've seen in school)
all done on one of our shorter but very rough and technical national tracks

Nope, haven't really lifted weights for over 2 decades

Oh.. and I intentionally didn't say "Pros" these guys were a handful of the fastest Scottish riders at the time with results ranging from top 10 WC/National champions to top 70 qualifiers at the odd WC.. Definitely not "professionals" most either had jobs or were students
other than the 5 guys you'll have actually heard of, There's no real "don't need a proper job" money in DH over here

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
10ish riders
GPS logger on each bike with some other data acquisition equipment (inc. HRM I think)
muscle measurements and calibrated grip meter testing after each run.. (maybe a similar instrument to you've seen in school)
all done on one of our shorter but very rough and technical national tracks

Nope, haven't really lifted weights for over 2 decades

Oh.. and I intentionally didn't say "Pros" these guys were a handful of the fastest Scottish riders at the time with results ranging from top 10 WC/National champions to top 70 qualifiers at the odd WC.. Definitely not "professionals" most either had jobs or were students
other than the 5 guys you'll have actually heard of, There's no real "don't need a proper job" money in DH over here

Yepp grip meter was probably what it was. Had an interesting test last fall, for two months I didnt ride or lift any weights. The few times I went out riding my hands was killing me after a sub minute run. Fast forward during the winter/spring I just got back into the normal lifting routines and a very small ammount of am riding, and since June 6th I have done over 90k feet of vert and no hand pain. Same bike and all.

So yes there is most definietly a good portion of "man the f*ck up and ride/train more" to get rid of any soreness etc. A good baseline: look at your hands if you have any calluses. If not, train grip strength. If there are plenty and thick calluses, you need to check ergo of equipment and ergo of riding position. Still have problem there is something physiological wrong.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Definitely check shoes. My toes start to tingle/go numb when I get my shoes too tight. And that's on routine short (<1hr) after work rides.

Last edited:

ButtersNZ

Monkey
Jun 6, 2013
Try a different seat, something wider perhaps and see if the numbness changes in any way, or gets better or worse. Numbness is caused in some cases by compression of nerves, often when sitting, and obviously as far as biking is concerned that's a main point of contact for your weight.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
ha ha... Yeah, ok.. but just to confirm, what I'm saying here is the results showed all the WC riders tested had massively greater hand strength and resistance to fatigue than I do..
Grip Strength is highly important across all athletes in my opinion. I'm not surprised by these findings.

I don't think my grip stength is the problem hear, I do and have done throughout my life a lot of grip strength training as a former high school wrestler, competitive wakeboarder and barefoot waterskier, and strong man competitor. I still do a ton of grip strength training as well to avoid arm pump for DH.