Quantcast

Hammershmidt Survey

Oct 18, 2008
SLO, CA
Please take this survey, it’ll only take you a few minutes and every question is optional you could just answer one question and then post it in this thread for my reference. Thanks for your help.

Why I’m posting this survey:
I’m writing a paper for a tech writing class about the Truvativ Hammershmidt.

I’m proposing a frame designed to pedal well with a Hammershmidt and I’m surveying RideMonkey's forums to find out how much interest there is in such a frame.

Instructions: Paste all of the questions into your post, write your answer below each question and post it in this thread.

Question 1: Have you heard of the Truvativ Hammershmidt? (If no, please post “no” for question 1 even if you do some research so you can answer the rest of the questions; remember the questions are all optional so if you don’t have an answer leave it blank.)

Question 2: What chain ring setup do you run on the front of your bike (triple ring, 22-36 dual ring, single 36 tooth ring, etc)?

Question 3: Why do you run your front chain ring setup?

Question 4: Do you want a Hammershmidt, why or why not?

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
1. Yes

2. I currently run a 36t single with a e13 chain guide

3. I find it Isn't to hard for most the xc I do and it keeps the chain on for dh and freeride.

4. Yes. I would like to try it just because I think its a cool concept and it would make the xc rides all that much easier.

BTW I currently ride a bottle rocket.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
1. yes
2. 32 on the 29er and 32/22 on the 26er xc bike
3. on the 29er because it is single speed, and on the 26 i run with a e13 drs guide and keeps good ground clearance
4. yes but i am not willing to pay for one.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
1) Yes

2) 24-34 double with Blackspire stinger guide and Raceface Bash

3) 24 granny is enough for me since I run a 11T-34T cassette. I like the 34T because you get more high end than a 32, but the chainring is smaller and has more clearance than a 36. the 34-11 high gear is plenty as I don't spin out of that until almost 40mph.

4) I like the idea, but at this time I don't think I would use it. I like the idea of instant shifts and not dropping a chain when trying to get in/out of granny, or being caught in the wrong gear by surprise. I also like the idea of additional clearance.

However here is why I don't like it. First it's heavier than a standard setup. Second I figure I'd be using the overdrive most of the time, and I'm concerned I'll be wasting a lot of energy due to the friction of the planetary gears. Third it's really expensive compared to a standard setup. Fourth the drive side uses ISIS and we all know the ISIS bearing are known to wear out fast.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
1. YES

2. Dual ring 22/36 with a DRS

3. I have to ride uphill to get to the goods, even on my DH bike.

4. I already ordered and paid for my AM 170mm Hammer Schmidt. It should be here anyday. A lot of RM members are going to cuss at me because of the bike its going on.

robert80

Chimp
Oct 6, 2008
the trail...or at work
Question 1: Yes

Question 2:
Bike 1: Triple ring
Bike 2: 22-36
Bike 3: Single ring, 34 or 38 - I switch them out

Question 3: Why do you run your front chain ring setup?
Bike 1: need 3 rings for XC
Bike 2: It came that way
Bike 3: It's a downhill rig, and it came that way

Question 4: Do you want a Hammershmidt, why or why not?
Bike 1: No - not for XC
Bike 2: Yes - I hate slow shifts and dropped chains
Bike 3: No - don't need two front rings for downhill

Tried them at Interbike. AMAZING! Quick shifts, no dropped chains...but a little wasted energy.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Question 1: Yes

Question 2: Single 36t

Question 3: It's a freeride/downhill bike and I can climb anything I need to with 36 and pretty much never run out of gears.

Question 4: I would love to try one but there's no way I'll pay $650, and my current bike doesn't have ISCG. Also, on a DH bike the extra versatility isn't worth any wasted energy. I don't know the weight but again, if it is heavier than a standard setup, that's another reason I wouldn't want it.