Quantcast

Halp! 2009 Boxxer WC no damping in initial 1.5" of travel

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
This story starts with a classic opening - "so I bought a used but just rebuilt 2009 Boxxer WC that has been working fine until ..." ... until I crashed hard two weeks ago. Among other things, the fork got twisted (~ 20degs) but I managed to straighten it quite well and that is not my current problem. My problem is, I have no damping in the initial 1 1/2" of travel. When I max out the LSC that pretty much locks it out, I still can compress it 1 1/2" before it hits any resistance.

I worked on a few forks before but never on a Boxxer or any other DH fork. What could have possibly gone wrong with the damper? I can still ride the fork, it sits below the no-damping threshold when sagged, but feels a little harsher on small chatter. Compression and rebound controls seem to be working fine.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Is that RM Boxxer lore or a serious advice? ;) I'll see if it needs moar oil and moar shims (and a replaced blown seal or two). Thanks.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
oil level is low. pretty likely that its in the lowers, not just vanished, so check to see if you are getting full travel with the spring pulled. if it hydrolocks and you are short on travel, drain and refill the leg also.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
In my experience RS products often need moar oil than what is recommended in the maintenance manual although I'm not sure how this would cause the problem you are having

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
It looks like the damp-ramp feature is gone now, the fork now cycles smoothly. :think: Must be a (semi)blown seal somewhere.

Thank you for your help gents!