Quantcast

hadley getting loose.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
anyone out there got their hadley loose?
as in side to side play on both the front and back hubs, and in the front hub, the shaft has come loose too, i just tightened it with my hands. i know it just something to do with tightening the shaft with the right size spanner for the front and a set of 5mm alenn keys for the back. but what about the bearing preload ect?
help a monkey out on what tools you used in subsitute of the hadley special tools and what kinda preload/torque you applied.
:monkey: :help:

thanks in advance! :D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
You can get spanners and flat wrnenches from your local lbs mostly park tools....yopu may have to special order a few....but now I can sevice my hubs fully just using the tools I have instead of buying the hadley specific tool set...D

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
if its a qr then you just need a 5mm allen for both sides, if its a 12mm thru axel you can use a pinner spanner drive side, the same wrench that shops use to work on coaster brake hubs for the brake side.
________
JALPA

Last edited:

Dusty Bottoms

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Santa Monica
Be very careful tightening the lock ring. I overtightened mine which ended up pinching the bearing and causing major internal damage. Suzanne at Hadley sent me a rebuild kit and instructed me to tighten the lock ring in 1 hour increments if viewing it as a clock. Be warned.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
so the side to side play is all because of the shaft being loose? nothing to do with the bearing preload?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
it stoped after i tightened the teflon preload adjuster in the freehub body. but i also took the whole hub apart and the prawls, racthets and needle bearing was full of crud, cleaned it and re oiled them. this happen to anyone else? its kinda fast for a hub to get dirty... :think:

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
If yer hub gets dirty quickly then check the small lip seals on the end caps and see if one is ripped.Oh wait it's probably dirty since the hub was ridden loose.

Yeah,the bearing preload rings are really just to try to tighten up a really old worn out bearing.Just put a drop of really mild loctite (222) on the threads and snug it up.

Find or order the right tools and tighten the end caps tight and you will be fine.Had Hadleys for a long time now and don't have problems with them coming loose.

Krispy

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I had that prob with my front. I think that the issue stems from the fact that Hadley removes the inner seals of the bearings so that more grease can be packed in. It seems like once the hub gets loose and grease gets on the threads it will never stay tight. I took mine apart, cleaned everything well, and put it back together with a couple of drops of blue loctite. No more issues.
It seems like the hubs are built so that you cannot overtighten the bearings. Am I wrong about this??? I spent a lot of time trying to adjust it like a normal lock-ring setup to no avail. When I took the whole thing apart I noticed that all the lock rings do is hold the bearings in the hub and that the sections of the axle bottom out on each other preventing overtightening.

Please correct me if I am wrong. The design is a little unique but very good.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Repack said:
I had that prob with my front. I think that the issue stems from the fact that Hadley removes the inner seals of the bearings so that more grease can be packed in. It seems like once the hub gets loose and grease gets on the threads it will never stay tight. I took mine apart, cleaned everything well, and put it back together with a couple of drops of blue loctite. No more issues.
It seems like the hubs are built so that you cannot overtighten the bearings. Am I wrong about this??? I spent a lot of time trying to adjust it like a normal lock-ring setup to no avail. When I took the whole thing apart I noticed that all the lock rings do is hold the bearings in the hub and that the sections of the axle bottom out on each other preventing overtightening.

Please correct me if I am wrong. The design is a little unique but very good.
not sure about the breaing preload part but the teory about the hub getting loose makes perfect sence. so there are no seals on the inner side of the bearings? doesn't that allow grease from the bearings to leak out all the time? :think:

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
dhkid said:
not sure about the breaing preload part but the teory about the hub getting loose makes perfect sence. so there are no seals on the inner side of the bearings? doesn't that allow grease from the bearings to leak out all the time? :think:
No. Merlin used to do it with their BB's. The grease would stay between the spindle and BB shell. The Hadley design sorks in the same way. The grease stays between the shell and the axle assembly.