Quantcast

HAB Migrates South — Where to go ride?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm looking to head south from Seattle to get some riding in. The mega atmospheric river that we've been getting has shut pretty much everything down up here.

So the question is, where to go? I'll be driving, so the closer the better but I'm willing to go a ways if it's the right move. Top criteria are good trails in decent shape right now (stuff you'd want an enduro bike for, ideally) and halfway decent weather. Something like Santa Cruz / SLO seems like the current frontrunner, though it's probably kinda wet down there right now, too.

Any other ideas?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
When a storm comes through NorCal, it's the same as a storm coming through Seattle in the winter, mega wet. If the forecast looks good, go for it, but same orographic lifting issues with moisture and lots of precip if a winter storm comes through usually. I'd go to AZ, you go to a mid-elevation spot like Sedona and then you have your pick, head further down the hill, it's damn near impossible to not be able to ride there, even when it's a little stormy up higher, it'll hardly be doing anything down low in PHX. I don't know if much Eastern cascade stuff is rideable in the winter? If not, I'd be heading down to AZ where it's....dry.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Zero precip in the 10 day forecast for Santa Cruz right now. Here, not so much.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
is way norcal still too cold/wet/snowy? like humbolt area? looks super cool there, although it might help to have local hook ups for good trails...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd go to Sedona, or maybe St George-ish for a few days.
I think they got a decent amount of snow recently. Still some on the ground in the higher elevation areas like Hurricane. That isn't a place you want to even think about riding unless it is bone dry.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You can normally deal with riding in the rain here, but when it snows down to sea level there's not much you can do with that. It's melting again but it'll be a bit before anything worthwhile opens back up

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i know you said you were driving but you should ditch the west coast and come to the actual south! weather's great!
I've done the comparable drive from Seattle to Charlottesville in 2.5 days multiple times. Well in the summer, would be a complete fucking nightmare this time of year. You currently have to drive 400 miles to get to a town that is normally less than 100 miles east of here.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Been riding in SLO the last couple days. Debating dipping down to Santa Barbara before I head back north. I haven't ridden down there in probably a decade. Anybody know how things are riding right now?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Been riding in SLO the last couple days. Debating dipping down to Santa Barbara before I head back north. I haven't ridden down there in probably a decade. Anybody know how things are riding right now?
Tunnel in SB should be good, its all rock. On your journey back, stop at Demonstration Forest in Soquel. Was there this last Saturday and conditions were great!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Tunnel in SB should be good, its all rock. On your journey back, stop at Demonstration Forest in Soquel. Was there this last Saturday and conditions were great!
Haha, yeah. I've ridden Tunnel before, but it's been a loooong time.

Is there a more direct way to pedal to the top than just going around on the shuttle road?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If you're as far down as SB, you could get to some other SoCal destinations, too. Dunno how much time you have.

San Juan Trail on hwy 74, Laguna, maybe Mt Wilson or Noble Canyon? Noble can be snowed in during winter sometimes, though.

Is the Fontucky DH course still there/open?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Is there anywhere decent to camp (out of my truck) up there? It's been ages, my memory is hazy.

If you're as far down as SB, you could get to some other SoCal destinations, too. Dunno how much time you have.

San Juan Trail on hwy 74, Laguna, maybe Mt Wilson or Noble Canyon? Noble can be snowed in during winter sometimes, though.

Is the Fontucky DH course still there/open?
This is probably as far south as I go for time/not wanting do drive more reasons.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Is there anywhere decent to camp (out of my truck) up there? It's been ages, my memory is hazy.

This is probably as far south as I go for time/not wanting do drive more reasons.
There is Romero, Cold springs and Jesusita in SB. Jesusita is at the bottom of tunnel it’s been a million years since I last did those