Quantcast

$h!tty a$$ rockshox

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
so today i finally figured out where the ominous creak on my ht is comin from! the damn psylo stanchions have loosened from the crown. blahhhhhhhhhhh. can i order new crown/stanchion /steerer from rs? can anyone give a ballpark figure on the cost of this?

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
My son broke one of the stanchion tubes off inside of the crown. Our LBS who isn't an authorized RS dealer sent it back. We got back new uppers mated to the old lowers. This was during the warranty period.
Sold it and bought a DJ1. End of story.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
mcA896 said:
so today i finally figured out where the ominous creak on my ht is comin from! the damn psylo stanchions have loosened from the crown. blahhhhhhhhhhh. can i order new crown/stanchion /steerer from rs? can anyone give a ballpark figure on the cost of this?
According to the wholesale prices in BTI, I would guess from $150 - $220. Depends on your fork model, and your shops markup. That's ALOT of money to dump into a fork that you may not even be able to resale for that much.

is there any chance your covered by a warranty?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Peete said:
My son broke one of the stanchion tubes off inside of the crown. Our LBS who isn't an authorized RS dealer sent it back. We got back new uppers mated to the old lowers. This was during the warranty period.
Sold it and bought a DJ1. End of story.

hi peete, just wondering, were you unhappy with RS because the stanchions loosened or because they didnt take the whole fork back?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
mcA896 said:
hope they don't turn you down like they did me. My lowers on my Boxxer twisted in a month's time...their response..."well, you wanted a light fork didn't you." and "you could twist those by slamming into a deep rut" ...

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
bizutch said:
hope they don't turn you down like they did me. My lowers on my Boxxer twisted in a month's time...their response..."well, you wanted a light fork didn't you." and "you could twist those by slamming into a deep rut" ...

Your kidding? They actually told you that thier forks bent easily under normal use. That's worse than Fox telling me that the bushing play in my fork was something I imagined without ever feeling MY fork.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
aggg the thing is i am not the origanal owner i got it for 100 off a buddy. its an 02 psylo xc reg. qr. i was thinkin 120 for just stanchions/crown/steerer but 220 seems wayy to much.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Kornphlake said:
Your kidding? They actually told you that thier forks bent easily under normal use. That's worse than Fox telling me that the bushing play in my fork was something I imagined without ever feeling MY fork.

well its not like they arent right, twisting a boxxer in a rut or a sideways landing is the fastest way to destroy those lowers, that and poor maintenance are better boxxer killers than the 888 even.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Aren't most of these cryofitted into the upper crown? No bolts or anything holding this stuff on right?

I wouldn't spend $200 to fix a 2 year old Psylo fork. Hell you'd be lucky on a used market to get that for the fork. Figure out though if they'll fix that under warrenty. It seems a warrenty related question to me to ask.

As far as Jeremy with his twisted lowers. IF rockshox has that kind of customer service and just claims "thats what happens" then I'd stick with sherman's and marzocchi forks. I'd be pissed though buying a Boxxer WC and find out that they can't do squat to a $1000 fork. They shouldn't twist anyways but if it's within the year, they should take it back.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
ok so i remedied(sp?) the problem to a loose steerer. once again, i am not the origanal owner and i just bought it 3mos ago. i can talk to the owner and see if he will talk to rockshox about the warranty but i dont want him to have to lie. on another note, is there a place where i can get JUST a steerer tube?i could maybe have it hydraulically pressed in at a local shop?

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
vitox said:
hi peete, just wondering, were you unhappy with RS because the stanchions loosened or because they didnt take the whole fork back?
I wasn't happy with the fact that our LBS had 3 come back with broken tubes.
The Psylos were oem on Haro Escapes. My son really liked the U-Turn travel adjust but it couldn't hold up to his riding.
I also didn't like the maintenance compared to a Manitou or Marzocchi.
It's a PITA to change the springs in the Psylo compared to the other makes.
Add oil in both ends, little O-rings around screws leaking.
The broken stanchion tube could probably warrant a CSPS recall if there are enough out there failing.

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
:nopity:
i have an 02 ac-2. the rear rs pro deluxe had(200 lb freight trane teenager) lasted 1year and 8 months of riding very hard and stupid. the second i get it down to Auburn(college) for commuter use...that damn thing blows!!! :nuts:

i figured it was going to blow a couple years ago :(

the psylo....ive been riding that thing blown for a year and half now(dont want to waste my time on it), i actually think it rides better now for dj's and stuff...heh

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
mcA896 said:
ok so i remedied(sp?) the problem to a loose steerer. once again, i am not the origanal owner and i just bought it 3mos ago. i can talk to the owner and see if he will talk to rockshox about the warranty but i dont want him to have to lie. on another note, is there a place where i can get JUST a steerer tube?i could maybe have it hydraulically pressed in at a local shop?
This is an easier problem to fix. Yes, you can press out the steerer tube if you are lucky enough to find someone with a press. We have one at the shop and do that occasionally. Steerers are pretty cheap.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Zoso said:
This is an easier problem to fix. Yes, you can press out the steerer tube if you are lucky enough to find someone with a press. We have one at the shop and do that occasionally. Steerers are pretty cheap.
except there is no guarentee this won't happen again, especially if it's slightly out of spec, and especially x2 when you being pressing-things in and out of forks more than once.