Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Thats my assumption as well. A venture capitalist recognized you can use Revved crabon to make indestructible dildos and sell them for real profit margins. So they offered Matt and the other equity owners a sizeable payout - we should all be so lucky.

In the end, I just hope the lucky buyer makes so much money she builds a giant Revved dildo yacht to tool around Lake Tahoe on and surrounds @kidwoo 's edifice with Teslas and electric snow blowers.
Well this is the bike industry. Not big pharma, software, tech, etc. It's not like they invented an electric car. I doubt they got much of a payout. At least in my sense of the number of a "sizeable payout". Matt's smart. He'll land on his feet. Glad to hear he got the summer off to spend with his kid. That, is actually priceless. I quit my job and have been doing that too. Giddy up!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Well this is the bike industry. Not big pharma, software, tech, etc. It's not like they invented an electric car. I doubt they got much of a payout. At least in my sense of the number of a "sizeable payout". Matt's smart. He'll land on his feet. Glad to hear he got the summer off to spend with his kid. That, is actually priceless. I quit my job and have been doing that too. Giddy up!
Fair points, but I don't think this is the bike industry we're talking about anymore. Complete speculation on my part, but I'd wager whoever acquired them plan on using Revved carbon for much more profitable products than bikes (e.g. dildos that even Kidwoo would trust).

Regardless, stoked AF for Matt and hope he kills it (again) with his next endeavor.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
A friend of a friend of a friend got a forward of a forward of a forwarded email from someone who had an outstanding order with GG, saying they suspended operations as of Sept.1 and they will not be building any new bikes. They were offering any complete bikes they had around at a deep discount, or an order refund.

Totally legit -- or one of those those you-won-a-Yeti-cooler \ your-Nigerian-cousin/prince-has-a-cool-$64million-with-your-name-on-it emails? Who knows. This is the internet. Nothing is real.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A friend of a friend of a friend got a forward of a forward of a forwarded email from someone who had an outstanding order with GG, saying they suspended operations as of Sept.1 and they will not be building any new bikes. They were offering any complete bikes they had around at a deep discount, or an order refund.

Totally legit -- or one of those those you-won-a-Yeti-cooler \ your-Nigerian-cousin/prince-has-a-cool-$64million-with-your-name-on-it emails? Who knows. This is the internet. Nothing is real.
you've said too much.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I’ve seen this email via my brother in law who had a hot AF green smash on order. I’m sad but good they are handling outstanding orders as well as they can.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I got this email too, last night. I had a shred dogg rear + shock on order. The email looked legit to me. Still bummed about this but taking the refund and moving on. Ordered a Propain Tyee over the weekend to take advantage of a Labor Day sale.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Matt has posted about the end of his time at GG on Linkedin. If i could remember what my password is I would log in and read it.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

There's multiple reports of this in the GG Facebook owner's group

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
sad day for sure. given their level of engagement with the riding community over the years it's certainly disheartening to find out about the end of the line this way.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Dealers have been told to order spare/warranty parts asap, no more parts are going to be available.

Not good for current owners or the market value of a used GG frame.
Not good for dealers with a few of these bikes sitting on the show room floor that they will likely have to sell for a loss (if they can sell them at all).

RIP

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I can’t really blame them. Hell I did the same thing. Couldn’t lie to people but couldn’t tell them the truth either. So I dropped off the face of the earth. Ya capitalism sucks but what’s a motherfucker supposed to do. At least assuming they sold out.

I am bummed though, I got an OG megatrail and a revved megatrail, I fucking love these bikes and I won’t be able to get a new one. Wish I had ordered a spare frame and parts a couple months ago but I didn’t believe the rumors. I’m just glad I was a long for the ride.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Dealers have been told to order spare/warranty parts asap, no more parts are going to be available.

Not good for current owners or the market value of a used GG frame.
Not good for dealers with a few of these bikes sitting on the show room floor that they will likely have to sell for a loss (if they can sell them at all).

RIP

There were dealers? I thought it was all direct to consumer. When I was interested in demoing one I was directed to some weird local guy whose business seemed to be welded custom cargo bike racks and fixie handlebars, who of course had no demo bikes available.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
what i don’t understand, didn’t they developed a machine to automate their revved frame production? which produced one version of main frame for all their different models? and they couldn‘t compete with hand build china frames that needed to be shipped around the world?

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I was going to say price, but then I went to Reebs website and saw that they no longer offer the Squeeb, and it’s only SST which is same ballpark as WAO, Hope and Allied. Don’t think I want anything Foes is making. Hmm, I’m gunna have to figure out how to be richer.

Why must I care about a frames country or origin? Be a lot easier if I didnt
I got a sqweeb to sell.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what i don’t understand, didn’t they developed a machine to automate their revved frame production? which produced one version of main frame for all their different models? and they couldn‘t compete with hand build china frames that needed to be shipped around the world?
my guess is that they weren't hitting the sales volumes they need to stay in the black. even with the automation they may not have been able to keep up on their model of having iterative models (like santa cruz) rather than yearly based updates.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
pure speculation but: If GG sold part of itself to venture capitalists to help finance Revved production, that probably explains A LOT. “Money got a lot more expensive”… and VC people are vultures who expect outsize short term profits, combine that with the “downturn” after the Covid boom and It’s bot hard to imagine some clueless patagonia vested bankers wanting to pull up stakes.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
pure speculation but: If GG sold part of itself to venture capitalists to help finance Revved production, that probably explains A LOT. “Money got a lot more expensive”… and VC people are vultures who expect outsize short term profits, combine that with the “downturn” after the Covid boom and It’s bot hard to imagine some clueless patagonia vested bankers wanting to pull up stakes.
I could definitely see something like this. I've seen this happen in biotech as well. VCs are frequently not good at aligning their expectations for profit and timeframe with the realities of a company they are investing in. They believe that with their ingenious management, they can beat the odds. For example, we want 10X in 3 years from a preclinical drug program (which will always take 5 or more likely 8 years to have a value inflection). The best part is VCs seldom value domain expertise (ie knowing about the bike business) and start making calls that can backfire based on hypothetical considerations learned during their MBA. Why on earth anyone would expect to strike it rich in the world of bikes is beyond me.

Compound all that with shitloads of money that they must invest out of their fund when things were going well followed by our current economic climate and it's a recipe for this kind of thing. I will say that venture capital and private equity for all the downsides do finance the development of many things which do in fact improve our lives. Just wish they had stayed away from GG or that GG would have stayed smaller and accepted that the jump from small to medium sized bike company is too risky.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
VCs are frequently not good at aligning their expectations for profit and timeframe with the realities of a company they are investing in.
Yes and no. Most start-ups fail. VCs mitigate that risk by making a lot of investments on tight time frames with high return expectations knowing that only a small percentage of their investments will pay off.

Just wish they had stayed away from GG or that GG would have stayed smaller and accepted that the jump from small to medium sized bike company is too risky.
I doubt they came knocking on GGs door, rather it was the other way around.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Yes and no. Most start-ups fail. VCs mitigate that risk by making a lot of investments on tight time frames with high return expectations knowing that only a small percentage of their investments will pay off.
I'm aware of how VC investment works. In my experience, many start ups fail because they didn't have the product or team to succeed. I've seen good products and teams shit the bed due to mismanagement from VCs just as often.

I doubt they came knocking on GGs door, rather it was the other way around.
Obviously an evil VC firm didn't come and execute a hostile takeover of GG. But there was no way in fuck any bike company was going to hit the marks for a VC. The COVID boom was obviously not the new normal for anyone with real analytical capabilities. Greed plus invincible ignorance is a powerful force for suboptimalness.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm aware of how VC investment works. In my experience, many start ups fail because they didn't have the product or team to succeed. I've seen good products and teams shit the bed due to mismanagement from VCs just as often.
Yup. I've been on both sides multiple times (start-ups failing and succeeding). The biggest differentiator has been the teams in my experience.

Obviously an evil VC firm didn't come and execute a hostile takeover of GG. But there was no way in fuck any bike company was going to hit the marks for a VC. The COVID boom was obviously not the new normal for anyone with real analytical capabilities. Greed plus invincible ignorance is a powerful force for suboptimalness.
Word. Bike industry is already a shit industry to try to make money in without taking on VC level return requirements.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have worked with a few startups but over 20 years I did witness the US machine tool industry completely disappear after what were family owned businesses got bought by corporations and then slowly starved, disassembled, and sold for parts. As far as I know the majority of remaining businesses are still privately owned or just recently bought out.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I am hoping someone will acquire the GG remnants and fire it back up again. Keep it smaller and be OK with that.

For those with frames I successfully ordered and received some back up hardware items this week.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Managed to get a few spare geegaws, trinkets, fiddly bits and tchotchkes to hopefully keep me running for a few years from the service parts site. Still no hardware kits, so buying a metal detector to carry around on rides in case a proprietary bolt, nut or fasterner backs out somewhere on the trail

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Damnit, was hoping it was a small so it would be an easy decision. Let me ponder it, really no reason to get rid of my Pistola at the moment, and it’s probably worthless as a used frame from a defunct company, but on the other hand, Sqeebs are pretty sweet
Might be easier to unload than other models since it's a Pistola

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Damnit, was hoping it was a small so it would be an easy decision. Let me ponder it, really no reason to get rid of my Pistola at the moment, and it’s probably worthless as a used frame from a defunct company, but on the other hand, Sqeebs are pretty sweet
Might be easier to unload than other models since it's a Pistola
@maxyedor what size / gen / config is your pistola?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
First year of the carbon frames with aluminum seat/chain stays, so 3rd gen, I think? Size 3, if I were to sell it it would just be a frame more than likely. Pretty sure I’m going to hang onto it another year or so though
unless you hear otherwise from me, consider me first in line.

:popcorn: